Author Topic: Thinking about buying a 2008 Mazda 6 2.0 diesel Sport  (Read 4850 times)

Offline scoobysn7x

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Thinking about buying a 2008 Mazda 6 2.0 diesel Sport
« on: September 29, 2016, 12:52:59 pm »
Hi there as title I'm looking at getting a Mazda 6 2.0 diesel, I currently have an 2010 Astra 2.0CDTi auto Elite, which is really good has all the toys, but sadly it's just too small for my needs, so I'm looking to upsize.

I previously had a mondeo 2.0 TDCi but I spent a fortune remapping/modding it, so would not want to go back to a standard mondeo as I'd want to do all the mods again :-(.

I've always liked the looks of the Mazda 6 and was just after some advice, are they a good buy, any issues/faults to be aware of before buying, also is there a buyers guide anywhere?.

As I've been through a couple of cars this year (bought a ticking time bomb of a fabia VRS DSG) I'm not looking to put a lot of extra cash in so for the trade in value of the astra I'll be looking at a 2008/2009 mazda 6, I'm going to see a 2008 2.0 sport tomorrow with 80k is there anything else to look out for, will the timing belt be due etc, or am I better off trying to find a 2.2?.  Thanks

Offline vitesse

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
Re: Thinking about buying a 2008 Mazda 6 2.0 diesel Sport
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 10:13:09 am »
I have read that the engines were all improved at the 2010 facelift - can tell as the foglights at the front are round and the interior finish is more black than silver. I could well go for a 2.2 Sport but have decided I want the later version than the 2008-10. The suspension is supposed to have been refined as well.

I wish I could find a 2.5 petrol Sport in the same age range but have only found 2008 ones with very high mileage.

Ian

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 04:51:03 pm »
are they a good buy, any issues/faults to be aware of before buying?

It is a typical car with a modern DPF diesel engine. If you can drive it at open roads and use ACEA C1 oil, it would not give you any problems. Other than that, it is the usual maintenance and whatever fails from use.

I'm going to see a 2008 2.0 sport tomorrow with 80k is there anything else to look out for, will the timing belt be due etc, or am I better off trying to find a 2.2?

I bought the 2009 2.0TD at 76K miles, 15 months ago. The dealer replaced the timing belt kit, due at 75K, but not the water pump or aux belt.

I have no problems with it. I am doing something more than 1K miles every month, as a weekend car with very relaxing driving style which returns an overall average of 66mpg.

Check the wheels and their condition. Mine is the TS2. The wheels are abused and they do not appear to be that airtight.

The 2.2 will be more economical but make sure that you get it serviced with the timing chain and injectors replaced.

Offline slavikost

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 06:51:02 pm »
My is exactly 2008 sport diesel.With sport you are getting about 10 more extras on the top of the standard model.The biggest problem with mazda 6 2008-2011 is the DPF filter as we all know.Just after 6 months from purchasing the car and I had to drive from Belgium to London on limp mode .Two garages in Brussels were unable to clean the DPF.The first thing back in London was to remove the  stupid DPF and remap the car.Since then (two years already) no DPF lights ,no limp mode ,no expensive only dealer service,no special low ash oil,no rising oil,no problems.
Stated from apav 66 mpg is impossible for my car.To achieve this I have to drive alone with completely empty car,on motorway only and with 50 mi/h.My usual mixed  mpg(city +motorway) is around 45mpg.Which is not so bad for loaded+3-4 passengers  big car.
If you can find for similar money 2.2 sport may is better option(DPF is not so big issue).Also will be a bit more jumpy on the start.When I purchased mine the cheapest 2.2 sport was about 1500-2000 pound more than mine.It was just to much money price difference for nothing more on the car( except 0.2 more engine) :-) .I am not so sure even if you can expect any major difference in the fuel economy between 2.0 and 2.2 diesel sport.