Author Topic: How to test Bi-Zenon Adaptive Headlights  (Read 9798 times)

Offline louisodwyer

• S Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
How to test Bi-Zenon Adaptive Headlights
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:53:39 pm »
Hi,

I recently bought a MAzda6 with (among other things) Bi-Zenon Adaptive Headlights.
They are supposed to turn when you go around corners (like the old Citroens).
Anybody have more info on their operation and how to test that they are actually working?
I have a button called AFS which I can press, and I get a light on the display that says "AFS OFF", but I would like to know how to verify that the system is working correctly.

Many thanks...........

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2013
Re: How to test Bi-Zenon Adaptive Headlights
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:53:29 pm »
Mine is the pre facelift model but from what I understand they work over a certain speed. On mine the headlamps dont move but I have a small side light that comes on and illuminates the kerb as you turn the wheel. The facelift models have moving headlights like the old Sh1troens.

To be honest mine are a waste of time. The moving headlights may be more useful.

Offline Little John

• Sport Class
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 12:35:48 pm »
If you are facing a wall or something you can see them adjust themselves when you start up - it looks like the car is crossing it's eyes and then uncrossing them!  Otherwise you will just need to find somewhere dark with some sharp corners.  I think they only operate at low speeds - up to 30mph, but I could be wrong.  You can see them turning if you look carefully, but it needs to be fairly dark.

Offline AndyThilo

• TS Class
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 01:03:01 pm »
The old Sport headlights AFL was rubbish. Pretty much pointless IMHO. The headlights themselves are fantastic.

The new sport has proper swivilling AFL, and I have to say they are fantastic. I was on an old country road, wide open space and quite twisty at around midnight. Sweeping 60mph corners and some tight 40mph ones and the lights made all the difference, you can really see them working lighting round the bend as you go.

That and the dampers are the the only thing that they've improved on the facelift sport. Don't get me started on the bloody engine :D, 180PS my arse! My old 185 eats it for dinner!.

Offline Craigy1D

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 04:34:41 pm »
I've recently got the 180 Sport as well and I actually find it quite rapid when it wants to be. I never test drove the 185 though but came from a 200bhp Astra Coupe Turbo so I've got something to compare it to.

Main thing I've noticed is the ECU seems to really restrict the performance on the car for 10 minutes to allow it to warm up before letting you have any fun. I know you shouldn't just get in and thrash it, but that seems a bit over cautious to me. I've also found rapid progress requires much concentration about where the revs are in the power band but I've just put that down to owning a petrol before.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:37:01 pm by Craigy1D »

Offline AndyThilo

• TS Class
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:51:40 pm »
Trust me the smaller turbo in the 180 has really dampened performance. The ECU's have always restricted performance from cold and from restarts but my god is it more noticable in the 180. Mazda kinda produced a great car with the 185 sport. Great performance, looks, interior, and okish handling. Now they all look the bloody same, and we've lost the twin exhaust, grrr  >:(

Anyhoo back on topic :D

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 09:25:06 pm »
Going by comments on the old Forum it seems that the original turbo on the Sport stressed the engine setup with consequential problems. I certainly got the impression that the old Sport was pushing the mechanical parameters so that, although you got improved performance, it also introduced a degree of unreliability. The car seems to be optimised around the TS2 configuration (which I have got with no problems so far in 2 years). Pushing the powerplant further seems to introduce potential stresses which can result in maintenance problems.

Offline louisodwyer

• S Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 08:11:23 am »
The old Sport headlights AFL was rubbish. Pretty much pointless IMHO. The headlights themselves are fantastic.

The new sport has proper swivilling AFL, and I have to say they are fantastic. I was on an old country road, wide open space and quite twisty at around midnight. Sweeping 60mph corners and some tight 40mph ones and the lights made all the difference, you can really see them working lighting round the bend as you go.

That and the dampers are the the only thing that they've improved on the facelift sport. Don't get me started on the bloody engine :D, 180PS my arse! My old 185 eats it for dinner!.

Many thanks for your response, I believe I have seen them working now on corners.
My other gripe is that the low-beams are quite bad.. Is it just a question of raising them? I can't find any way of doing this on the dashboard, while the manual says it should be automatic and there should be an indicator light on the console, but there isn't one, so I wonder is the manual referring to non-xenon lights?
That being the case, is there an easy way to adjust them on the light unit?
Many thanks for any help!

Btw, otherwise I love the car, particularly the bluetooth and the keyless entry...

Offline AndyThilo

• TS Class
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:33:07 am »
Going by comments on the old Forum it seems that the original turbo on the Sport stressed the engine setup with consequential problems. I certainly got the impression that the old Sport was pushing the mechanical parameters so that, although you got improved performance, it also introduced a degree of unreliability. The car seems to be optimised around the TS2 configuration (which I have got with no problems so far in 2 years). Pushing the powerplant further seems to introduce potential stresses which can result in maintenance problems.

My old 185 Sport which is still the our company now has 85k on it, the only problem was the timing chain which was changed under warranty at £78k. They're strong lumps. Mazda cut costs for the 2nd gen, smaller turbo, less power, lower trim level, all to save what a few co2 emissions!. Never mind the fact that in 2009 the sport was 21k, now it's 24k.

Offline AndyThilo

• TS Class
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 11:35:41 am »

Many thanks for your response, I believe I have seen them working now on corners.
My other gripe is that the low-beams are quite bad.. Is it just a question of raising them? I can't find any way of doing this on the dashboard, while the manual says it should be automatic and there should be an indicator light on the console, but there isn't one, so I wonder is the manual referring to non-xenon lights?
That being the case, is there an easy way to adjust them on the light unit?
Many thanks for any help!

Btw, otherwise I love the car, particularly the bluetooth and the keyless entry...

The AFL lights are not adjustable, they auto adjust depending on the rear load. I find them to be excellent so maybe yours have a problem? I too love the keyless, really miss it in a non-keyless car, but I think the BT is junk.