Author Topic: Xenon Headlights Too Low?  (Read 6881 times)

Offline Joel

• S Class
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2014
Xenon Headlights Too Low?
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:38:32 am »
Good morning,

My previous car was a 55 Honda Accord Ex 2.4 with Xenon Headlights. I wasn't sure as to whether or not Xenons are supposed to self-test when you switch them on, but the Accord never did. I assume it was auto-levelling since I have never heard of manual-levelling Xenons and I never really tested if it auto-levelled if I had passengers or luggage in the back. However, in my Sport Nav (no safety pack, if it was actually an option on the 2014 models), the headlights self-test but only left to right, never up or down. Do they self-level depending on weight in the back? They seem to be a lot lower than what my Accord was. Are you able to manually adjust them with a screwdriver or allen key? Not that I want to be doing that without proper consultation first as I don't want to be blinding drivers.

Thanks for any support!

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2019
Re: Xenon Headlights Too Low?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 12:20:17 pm »
Hi Joel,
The Xenon headlights on the Sport Nav are self levelling. The self test of left and right you refer to is for the feature that allows the lights to swivel to each side as you go round corners.
I would think twice about height adjusting yourself, but I notice your car is 2014 so due for MOT this year. The height of the lights when the car is empty will be checked then so at least you will know one way or the other.

Offline Joel

• S Class
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 12:45:47 pm »
The MOT was done in February. It's a 2014 model, but 63 plate, so maybe a garage could check if they are certified? I will need my brakes done this month so I could ask then.
Thanks for the advice.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 12:14:25 pm »
If it passed the MOT then the lights must be at the correct height