Author Topic: New member  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Hatchy

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
« on: March 19, 2017, 07:50:32 pm »
Hi everyone, just got a 1.8 ts 2010, no problems so far. It has black tints on the rear and side windows and i wondered if this is normal spec for this model, or if the previous owner put them on. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Looking forward to using the forum. Thanks   

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 08:15:43 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum not to up on that model so i will leave that to some one else. Anyway enjoy the car and the forum.
cheers steve  8)

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:22:34 pm »
Hi Welcome to the forum.
As far as I am aware Mazda only offered what they called "Privacy Glass" on very few models and soon discontinued it.
Whilst they did, the tint was applied to all side and rear windows and  the degree of tint was hardly noticeable.  So to me it would seem likely that your tints were fitted by a previous owner.

As long as they are not on the front windows and windscreen and only on the rears you are OK.  If they are on the front or front side windows, then they should allow at least 70% of light through.
There are no legal rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Hatchy

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:42:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply. The tints are on the rear doors and back window and are quite dark. So much so that you can't see to reverse in the dark,or check blind spot on the motorway. My wife wants them removed (i don't), but i looked into this and it seems very difficult as the adhesive used is hard to get off glass. Anyone got any experience of this. Thanks

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:55:37 am »
The only time I have experienced removal of tints was whilst riding as a passenger in a car that had illegal tints.  The driver was stopped by the Police, they checked the light level using a meter, decided that the % was illegal and proceeded to strip off the tint. They opened the window and used a sharp knife to release an edge, then pulled a strip off, leaving a very ugly looking window.  Despite the protests of the owner, apparently they are quite at liberty and allowed by law, to do this as a means of ensuring that the owner is prompted into clearing off the rest. 

As regards glue.  The professional window tinters do not use glue. The film is floated on using only water, much like the transfers on the old Airfix model aeroplanes. Which is why the Police (as above)  were able to strip off a chunk so easily.  If the installer of your tints have used glue, then I would suggest that they were not professionally done and could cause you big problems.  Are there any visible bubbles/creases that you could insert a craft knife into to start you off ?

Offline Hatchy

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:49:00 pm »
Thankyou Willpower for that advice. On closer inspection i can see the tints were put on top of the glass, not tinted glass, as there is the odd, very small air bubble, so if i loose the argument with the wife i will try using a kraft knife to remove it. That sounds wrong! Because the car is black the tints add a certain look to the car i quite like. Cheers

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:05:22 am »
The tints are on the rear doors and back window and are quite dark. So much so that you can't see to reverse in the dark,or check blind spot on the motorway.

I understand where you are coming from re the aesthetics. Dark tints look good on a dark car. But are you prepared to take the risks with the "blindness" caused by them.

Or,  are you going to fit Lowrider bouncing suspension and underbody fluorescents next :) :)