Author Topic: Electric window swich drivers door  (Read 8275 times)

Offline arnfran

• S Class
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Electric window swich drivers door
« on: September 02, 2016, 06:05:40 am »
2006 TS 1.8. 91K.
Can anyone enlighten how to disconnect the cover plate from the window switches... Drivers door please?
Was planning to prise it off with flat blade but do not wish to damage it!
Thinking it may be the switch faulty?
N/S front passenger window wont operate from Drivers door.
It works from Passenger door only...have tried reset makes no difference!

Also...there is a "periodic" popping/howl sound from underneath, on gear change and braking O/S. anyone had this?? Any info much appreciated.
Many thanks.
a.f.b@btconnect.com

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Electric window swich drivers door
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 09:13:19 am »
It works from Passenger door only...have tried reset makes no difference!

Have you done the reset properly ?  You need to lower the window, then raise it to the top and HOLD the button in the up position until you hear an very faint click from the mechanism.  If you do not do this properly, then the drivers door switch will not be effective. 

Do the other door windows work from the drivers door switches ?
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline arnfran

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 03:19:50 pm »
Hi, I have tried this a few times "no click appearing" yes the other windows work from drivers door switches.

Many thanks. 

Offline arnfran

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 03:31:31 pm »
Hi, I have tried this a few times "no click appearing" yes the other windows work from drivers door switches.

Many thanks.
Hi again! I have just retried since reading your post, there was a click this time!
But still not working passenger front from Drivers Door.
Other windows work OK!
Thanks.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:46:13 pm »
Ok.  Last suggestion I have is do the reset on ALL of the other doors in sequence. 1. Front Passenger side 2. Rear Passenger side  3. Rear drivers side. 

Do them all in one session waiting for the click on each one before progressing. Then lastly, do the same on the Drivers door.   I can't stress enough that you must get the click from each door in turn. If you don't get a click then start again.

If this still doesn't work then you may have the highly unlikely situation of a problem with the switch unit in the drivers door.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline arnfran

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 08:39:34 am »
Did all of your advise, click from 4 doors OK, driver door switch still not working on passenger front, investigation of the switch next required. "If the switch cover comes off OK without damaging it"

Your input appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline slavikost

• S Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 01:18:39 pm »
Hi,
Unfortunately I don`t think you can remove just the cover on the top of the switches (drivers door).You have to remove the whole inside door panel first.After that the panel is attached to the door on 5 points-one wire on the front of the panel,wiring for the speaker,internal door light and 2 connectors for the window switches one next to the other.If you disconnect the last 4 points you can turn the door panel and work easily. Also from there(from inside) you can remove the switch boxes(actually I believe is just one but with two connectors on the bottom) and look for possible problem in the connection or the wiring.I did the sound insulation and deadening on the doors just few weeks ago and still everything is fresh in my mind.

Offline Cee-Jay-Cee

• TS Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:16:49 am »
The door card needs to come off to get to the switches. Do not try and prise off the cover plate as you'll only break/damage it and even if you did get it off the switch unit is screwed into the door card from underneath and you wont be able to remove it.

There are only two screws to be removed, one behind a little plastic card on the door handle and the other in the recess/hole you use to close the door from the inside (under a little piece of soft material) Then simply pull firmly along the entire bottom of the door card to pop it off. Once all the poppers have been released, pop off the tweeter cover and lift the door card upwards to unhook it (put the window down first as it makes it easier to get off and get on again) Its a simple job and takes less than 10 minutes to remove.

To remove the switch unit, you need to remove approx. 10 screws holding it on the other side of the door card. Its fairly clear which ones need to be removed if you compare the location of each with the switch unit on the other side. The entire handle/arm rest unit which houses the window switches has to come off in order to get at the screws to remove the switch unit.