Author Topic: LED Headlight Beam pattern  (Read 9310 times)

Offline Flying KD

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
LED Headlight Beam pattern
« on: September 19, 2015, 02:28:57 pm »
I have a 2015 6 with the LED headlights which are the Adaptive type; swivelling but not with the full "shape shifting" depending on ambient light and oncoming vehicles. 1st time out in the dark and I gave up; dipped beam is dangerous, lights the verges but no spread in front of the car at all. When the nose of the car is inclined down, dips etc it is impossible to see the road, my guess is the beam in front of the car is les than 30 feet. I have booked it in for the beam setter but have a horrible feeling that this is the way they are, modern technology and safety crap before usability (the cynic in me says this is a way of forcing us to drive more slowly). I physically cannot see to drive with the lights the way they are which is a major issue. obviously! Anyone else have the same issue or any ideas?

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Clearwater Blue (40B)
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Re: LED Headlight Beam pattern
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 07:45:18 am »
Good old Bi-Xenon on my 6. Adaptive, very quick, very efficient.
Skoda Octavia vRS 230 DSG Hatch
Mazda 6 Hatchback TS2 2.0 Manual
Mazda 6 Tourer Sport 2.2 175 Auto
Mazda 3 Hatchback Sport 185 Manual
Ford Focus mkII Zetec 2.0 TDCi
Ford Focus mkI Zetec 1.8i

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 09:41:46 pm »
Good old Bi-Xenon on my 6. Adaptive, very quick, very efficient.

Hmmm That's helpful.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Clearwater Blue (40B)
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 07:43:13 pm »
Willpower, I am not saying anything....
Skoda Octavia vRS 230 DSG Hatch
Mazda 6 Hatchback TS2 2.0 Manual
Mazda 6 Tourer Sport 2.2 175 Auto
Mazda 3 Hatchback Sport 185 Manual
Ford Focus mkII Zetec 2.0 TDCi
Ford Focus mkI Zetec 1.8i

Offline Flying KD

• TS2 Class
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 07:19:51 pm »
Well.... not looking promising; been on the MOT Beam Aligner: legal. When compared with another car with the same lights there is an obvious difference however the dealer has never seen this, neither has Mazda UK; contact has been initiated with Mazda Japan (potentially something as simple as a LHD light unit which would be a result.) and in the meantime I have a courtesy car as I cannot use the car in the dark. dealer is working well but my cynicism says this will not end well. I am already thinking  goods not fit for the purpose but will bide my time  and allow them a fair crack at it  as I have to.
Meantime any thoughts would be appreciated or comments from those of you have the LED headlights, as in the other reply mu HIDs' on the old car were OK and definitely better the current car albeit with the problems.
Thanks

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 11:49:47 am »
I have the LED headlights on my new Sports Nav and drove it at night for the first time the other day, seemed fine to me and much better than the lights on my previous SE-L.

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:13:33 pm »
Having done a fair bit more night driving I find the lights on my car are great with an excellent and clearly defined cutoff on low beam. No flashes from oncoming traffic either. Did you get the problem on your car resolved?

Offline Andy

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 03:00:24 am »
Recently upgraded my Gen 3 to the new face lift 6 sport nav.  I must agree with the OP about the new LED headlights and would much rather have the adaptive xenon headlights over these LED ones.  The car I bought had the lowered suspension fitted and had to take it to a dealer to have the headlights re-levelled as the beam sat far too low on the road.  They said they raised it up sightly and it does look better.  Regarding the beam pattern there is a noticable "segment" missing from the beam pattern and it's right in front of my field of vision and my side of the road where I think I should have light.  They seem to prioritize lighting up the near side kerb more than they do the road ahead.  The high beam again seems to sit too low and doesn't light up the horizon where the xenons used to but rather just above the low beam on the road.  The adaptive part of these headlights only seem to correspond to the automatic hi beam function and don't follow the direction of the car when turning a corner where as the xenons were great for this.  With reference to the adaptive hi beam, seems to be hit and miss and more often than not it just turns the hi beam off until the oncoming car has passed.  I can do that myself!  Impressed with the technology and the ideas/principle behind it but not really with the execution of it.  Still love the new 6 though, beautiful motor.

Offline Flying KD

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 07:49:39 pm »
All fixed, lights now normal; dealer was a bit reticent as to the cause but from what I gather the headlights have been replaced entirely, I think some of the LEDs' were faulty causing the beam pattern to be incomplete however it may still have been left hand drive lights, as I say dealer not forthcoming and I didn't push, problem solved and that's all that matters. Still don't think  these LEDs' are any better than my 2007 Legacy with HID headlights: technology isn't always getting better.