Author Topic: Mazda 6 2.2D 150PS - What's the Real World Fuel Economy Like?  (Read 25963 times)

Offline nheather

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
Mazda 6 2.2D 150PS - What's the Real World Fuel Economy Like?
« on: August 09, 2014, 01:55:32 pm »
Hi,

Thinking of getting a Mazda 6 2.2D 150PS Sport as my next company car.

The brochure lists the fuel economy as

60.1 mpg  -  Urban           
83.1 mpg  -  Motorway
72.4 mpg  -  Combined

Now I appreciate well that manufacturers tend to exaggerate fuel economy and that the actual economy you experience is somewhat less but even so these figures seem very high.

For example I currently have a VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140PS and the current equivalent is marketed as

56.5 mpg  -  Urban           
78.3 mpg  -  Motorway
68.9 mpg  -  Combined

So on paper Mazda claim the Mazda 6 has a better fuel economy then a VW Golf which I find hard to believe given the Mazda is larger and heavier.

Now I did have a Mazda 6 demonstrator for a couple of days but, silly me, I only remembered to check the fuel economy just before I handed it back.  It was showing 42 mpg - okay its a demonstrator so it probably gets a lot of short journeys and driven hard to see what the performance is like but that way different to the published numbers.

By comparison my Golf has averaged 53 mpg over the last 3 years - again, well under what VW advertise but 10 mpg greater than what I witnessed the Mazda 6 doing.

Can any owners here confirm what economy they get on their Mazda 6s - preferable 150PS Diesel models?

Many thanks,

Nigel

Offline SM25T

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
Re: Mazda 6 2.2D 150PS - What's the Real World Fuel Economy Like?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 07:28:02 pm »
I guess you are looking at the new model with the SkyActiv engine.

Mine is the previous model 2.2 Sport tourer with 180bhp ... I get around 40-41mpg, with a mix of town and fast motorway driving.

It uses extra fuel to clean the DPF

So - the new technology should be better than this ... but don't expect to get anywhere near the laboratory figures used to produce the stats ! Same goes for any car

Offline nheather

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 07:51:00 pm »
I certainly never expect to see paper figures for real - just a little surprised by how high the paper figures are.

As I posted, the Mazda 6 claims 72.4 whereas the Golf claims 68.9.

Really hard to imagine how the heavier and larger Mazda 6 could claim to be more efficient than the BlueMotion Golf.

For my older Golf I see 53 (77% of advertised) whereas in the Mazda 6 demonstrator I saw 42 (58% of advertised).

Cheers,

Nigel

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 03:00:42 pm »
Read on Honest John that for a mix of long / short journeys like most average drivers, urban +10% is a good rule of thumb on most cars.

This is exactly what i get on my 59 plate 2.2 diesel (163bhp)

Offline nheather

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:47:10 pm »
Read on Honest John that for a mix of long / short journeys like most average drivers, urban +10% is a good rule of thumb on most cars.

This is exactly what i get on my 59 plate 2.2 diesel (163bhp)

That would be fantastic - 65mpg for combined but I would be amazed if could get that.

I get about 53mpg on my Golf which is about -25%.

I have booked another demonstrator Friday to Monday and intend to do some decent tests this time round.  I'll post back what I find.

Cheers,

Nigel

Offline nheather

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:35:54 pm »
Just checked Honest John and the Mazda 6 comes in as number 9 in the top 50 mpg performers.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/topten/50-worst-real-mpg-performers-of-2013/?image=8

Cheers,

Nigel

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 01:32:38 pm »
I have recently taken delivery of the Mazda6 150ps and at the first fill up it achieved 43 on the pumps and 42.9 on the car computer. It is now showing 48 mpg on the car computer. My driving is a mix of short runs in the town and 60 mile round trip motorway driving. I am happy with the car so far.

There was a report on the internet recently about the manufacturers claims of fuel consumption and the test they use to arrive by that, which is nothing like normal driving. They then remove ( or not supply) the spare tyre (claim this prevents low emissions  and low economy) , tape up door joints, do not use any accessories like a/c, heater, lights etc.  They then claim that you can buy a tyre and jack as an extra.

I suppose these figures that manufacturers use if compared with each other are just a guide, but may or not be achievable.   It all depends on how you drive and how much rubbish you carry in your boot, do you garage it (keeping it that much warmer) thus shorter time to warm up (extra fueling) in the winter. Don't run the engine on idle in winter( to warm it up), but drive off straight away, but gently as more wear takes place when the engine is cold, more fuel dilution of the oil as the pistons, rings  and cylinders have not come up to normal temperature.
Though I have noticed with the Mazda the temp light  has gone from blue to blank in less than 3/4 of a mile helped by the recirculation of exhaust gasses. I would have preferred  a proper temperature gauge though with real temperatures on, particularly if you have a chance of overheating in some conditions.

My previous car a 14 year old R45 did achieve some of the figures the manufacture claimed, in fact my Urban was much better than mfrs,  even in the winter.

Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Clearwater Blue (40B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 02:35:32 pm »
My 3 Sport 185 achieved every single figure. The new 6 not even close.
Skoda Octavia vRS 230 DSG Hatch
Mazda 6 Hatchback TS2 2.0 Manual
Mazda 6 Tourer Sport 2.2 175 Auto
Mazda 3 Hatchback Sport 185 Manual
Ford Focus mkII Zetec 2.0 TDCi
Ford Focus mkI Zetec 1.8i

Offline Rusty Bike

• S Class
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 11:09:26 pm »
I have the new 2.2 Sport Tourer. I have to drive like a saint to achieve average of 48mpg. My last car was TDI Golf (130). Would need to be acting the maggot to get the Golf this low. Changing to Mazda was a bad idea. Wish I had not bought it now. Won't be keeping it!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:11:06 pm by Rusty Bike »

Offline SM25T

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 12:25:35 pm »
Hey ... you don't buy a 2.2 litre estate car with 180bhp and expect to get fantastic mpg. You certainly wouldn't expect to get better consumption than a smaller lighter car with 130bhp !!

Offline markyyy

• S Class
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 03:27:51 pm »
I have had the old mazda 6 2.0l diesel and the last 2.2L 163 diesel estate. I changed to the new 2.2l 150pS tourer 2 days ago. Last week I did a 400 mile journey with a loaded boot full of tools and the old 6 gave me 47mpg, so with the new skyactive tech I was expecting a better return this week after doing the same journey. The exact same mpg on both cars and I was driving like a saint.

The ipod interface is a joke and the Bluetooth connections have dropped out resulting in me having to stop the car and switch off to take calls. I am seriously thinking about returning it tomorrow as I only have it 3 days now. There was 9000 miles on it and it is the soul red. It drives really well but it is just a pity that the claimed specs are not met. I drive a lot and the ipod is my best mate on long journeys but everytime I switch to the radio or stop the car the whole thing needs to be plugged out and then takes 5 minutes to set up again.

not happy with Mazda...

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 09:27:31 pm »
I and others, are getting around 45 mpg overall on our petrol Gen 3 cars!

Offline Geoff 26

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 08:17:01 am »
Typically i get 52 to 54 mpg driving to work 60 mile round trip.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 08:46:27 am »
I was chatting with the sales staff in my local dealer on Friday and allegedly there are plans for world wide legislation to make manufacturers actually do real life mpg readings. Exactly what is involved I can't say, or what body would be overseeing the results. But it would mean testing a car as it would be driven on the road. Not stripped down on a carefully prepared track. 

That would prove interesting
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 08:00:10 pm »
Yes that was on the news some time ago.

At the moment, the figures come from a dyno simulation to allow repeatability:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_European_Driving_Cycle

There is some interesting documentation that things are improving a bit faster than expected:

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars_en

Regardless of what the mpg figures indicate, something must be done about the drivers.

If 99% of the drivers cannot drive economically, the car industry progress will not be enough.

I do not see what the average driver kicking gas and brake pedals eratically, will gain by giving them another mpg figure.

The majority of the drivers do not even know what is their mpg across the car ownership.

They may check by accident the car computer and then complain that this mpg figure is lower than the official mpg figure but they will forget about it soon after the blame the car manufacturer.

The biggest challenge of the current simulation model is to represent the short cold trips in traffic.

So far there is no model for drivers playing with their phone and not filling in the gaps, not starting when the traffic has gone, turning off the start/stop, not driving efficiently and effectively, not thinking ahead, etc.

Our only hope is to move faster to autonomous cars and just hope that the programmers have the skills to program them to drive as they should.