Author Topic: Removing rear lights from boot and tailgate  (Read 7662 times)

Offline MazdaMatt2.5

• S Class
  • Colour: Icy Blue Mica (33Y) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Removing rear lights from boot and tailgate
« on: January 25, 2014, 04:04:44 pm »
Hi

Looking to clean my rear lights due to the algae build up but am unsure how to remove them. I have only had the car 3 weeks so please forgive me if this is an obvious thing.

Boot lenses - I have read elsewhere that the carpet needs peeling back to access the bolts. Mine is the facelift 2010 so unsure if this advice relates to a previous year but I can't see how the carpet peels back in this area. I have taken the panel off to access the bulbs and can see some bolts in there (3) they look v fiddly and tight to get at. Are these the right bolts?

Tailgate lenses - I have no idea how to remove these. Is it the plastic trim that needs to come off? if so how on earth does it come off. I have tried pulling every which way but it seems stuck on.

There must be a way to remove them.

Anyone tried and can shed any light please?

Matt

Offline MazdaMatt2.5

• S Class
  • Colour: Icy Blue Mica (33Y) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
Re: Removing rear lights from boot and tailgate
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 06:55:41 pm »
Anyone help a newbie here?

Does everyone live with the algae in the rear lights? Surely someone must have removed and cleaned them or had to replace the lights due to damage or something

Cheers

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:43:12 am »
Well - my 5 year old example seems O.K. Matt, so never had the need to do consider it. A Haynes workshop manual is what we all need for these little jobs - not available though I guess. Maybe a friendly local body shop might solve your enigma in a few minutes?

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 03:07:03 pm »
Matt,

I seem to recall having to change the rear cluster on my 2003 Sport due to a cracked lense. The plastic trim on the side of the boot had to be removed. This was an absolute pig but it did come off in the end.

I haven't had the pleasure on my 2010 model but it should be the same.

There is a technical manual floating around on this forum somewhere which explains how to do it. Have you tried the technical documents section, it could be in there? If not, I think I have a copy stored on my old laptop if you get stuck.

Farnsy