Author Topic: 2011 6 2.2 Sport - Red Starter + Key Light on Dash - Won't Start  (Read 33386 times)

Offline Craigy1D

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
2011 6 2.2 Sport - Red Starter + Key Light on Dash - Won't Start
« on: November 30, 2012, 08:38:34 pm »
Hi,

I've got a 2011 6 2.2D Sport. Yesterday I tried to start it but as soon as I depressed the clutch the Start Button lit up red as did the key light on the dash and the car refused to start.

Tried spare key, tried replacing batteries in key fobs, tried the backup key in the ignition, etc, all to no avail. Can still lock / unlock without any issue.

AA arrived checked car battery, no issues, tried disconnecting the battery to try and reset to no avail, and then finally towed me back to Mazda garage. Mazda garage got it going with their computer / reset immobiliser, etc.

My parents picked the key up while I was at work so went to collect it. Foot on clutch and the Start Button and key light all lit up green! Great I thought until I tried to start it and it promptly turned red again, a colour it's now stubbornly remaining with the earlier green a distant memory.

It's still at a Mazda garage but they seem stumped beyond plugging computer in and resetting the immobiliser. Anyone come across this before or have any idea what could be triggering it?

Thanks,
Craig
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:40:47 pm by Craigy1D »

Offline Wombat

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2007
Re: 2011 6 2.2 Sport - Red Starter + Key Light on Dash - Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:57:41 pm »
Hi,

Just a thought, any strong radio transmitters very close by? e.g. 'Ham' radio enthusiasts within a hundred metres or so. Usually have lengthy 'whip' aerials attached to side of their house going above thr roofline. Saw something similar on a Nissan a few years ago. Only did it once round a friend's house.
Not very scientific, I know!

Regards, etc.

Offline Wombat

• S Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:04:35 pm »
Just re-read your post, this is happening at more than one location. Bin that idea!
Cheers, etc.

Offline Craigy1D

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:29:23 pm »
My theory is its the internal car antenna (anyone know where it is / if there's more than one, e.g. one for immobiliser and one for alarm system?) at fault and periodically losing connection to the key.

So when I try and start it the car things someones trying to make off with it without the key and locks down. Sounds plausible anyway!

Offline CHokKA

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 01:20:11 pm »
Hi there. I've just been searching for this issue online and came across your post. Did you manage to ever get this sorted? My car has the exact same issue and the dealership have absolutely no idea what's wrong with it. Anything that I can tell them to help them fix my car would be appreciated!

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 04:28:19 pm »
I had exactly the same problem with my 2010 Sport which let me down three times. On each occasion the start button would glow red and everything was completely dead, the RAC would come out and test the battery and then the car would have to be towed in. Each time the garage would get it going and a different electrical fault would show on the diagnostics.
It turned out to be a corroded earth terminal somewhere under the wing which was throwing up random electrical issues, all causing the car not to start.
More details are in my earlier thread in this section - "Non starter started - for now".
I was thinking of changing the car anyway and have now bought a new model Sport Nav.
If I can be of any more help, please feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:29:51 pm by saddler5 »

Offline CHokKA

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 10:23:17 am »
Thanks for the reply. I mentioned this to them as a rep from Mazda UK contacted me with this info as well but I don't think they found it to be the issue. They still have the car and haven't been able to work out what's wrong with it yet. They've managed to get the light to turn green when you put the clutch down, but the car still won't start and the steering wheel is locked. I'm at a loss as to why this has happened and I am pretty flabbergasted that it has been with them for over 2 days now and they still don't know what's wrong with it. I'm concerned that this is something they'll never be able to get to the bottom of, and wonder what on earth would happen in that scenario. What makes it worse is that the car is only out of warranty by about 5 months. Highly annoying!

Offline CHokKA

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 11:29:25 am »
Nope they have no idea, they want to charge me £771 to replace the steering mechanism on the car as they think that this might resolve the issue. They can get the car to start but the steering wheel is still locked and they think it's a faulty module within that. I asked them what happens if they replace this and it doesn't fix the issue, and they don't know. But the charge of £771 will still stand for them doing something that has no effect at all. I'm not happy, I've been in contact with Mazda UK and they're investigating now.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 12:14:54 pm »
I know how frustrating this can be. I would still go down the route of a corroded earth, as with mine this was causing the diagnostic machine to display spurious errors including key batteries, internal motion sensor and steering column lock. I paid for the first two but drew the line at the steering lock. I believe there is a Mazda Technical Service bulletin about this issue and I found similar cases on an Australian Mazda forum.
The only other suggestion I had was a faulty Body Control Module (essentially the cars brain) but this is an extremely expensive part.
I hope you get sorted soon.

Offline CHokKA

• S Class
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 12:51:08 pm »
Well I've already mentioned to them about the corroded earth but I don't know if they even checked this. It sounds to me like they're just wanting me to throw money at the problem until something works. I'm very stressed out at the moment because I don't have money to just keep wasting on issues. To top it all off, the owner of the dealership told me that I didn't buy the car from them, as if that's supposed to excuse poor service and high prices.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 04:28:35 pm »
I sympathise entirely with you - the fact you didn't buy the car from them should make no difference. I have said before, along with others on this forum, that Mazdas are great cars but the aftersales service leaves a lot to be desired.
I don't know whereabouts in the country you are, but if you are near the West Midlands I can put you in touch with the garage who sorted mine. It did take three attempts but now they know what caused it.
Good Luck
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:30:24 pm by saddler5 »

Offline CHokKA

• S Class
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 08:10:35 am »
Thanks again for the reply. Unfortunately I'm not anywhere near the West Midlands :( I have, however, been in contact with a different dealership that's about 45 miles away from me (it's the one I originally purchased the car from) and they have told me that it is absolutely wrong that the other dealership wants charge me to put something into the car and the charge will still stand if it doesn't resolve the issue. I've informed Mazda UK about this as well and they're looking into everything today so hopefully I hear something this morning. I have now been without the car since Sunday and it really sucks, my wife and little boy aren't able to go out at the moment because they need a car but I leave for work much earlier than they're ready to go out.

I've got some options open at the moment but I really just want the car to be fixed so that we can use it again. I can't believe that the design of the car prevents you from unlocking the steering wheel with the key, that is absolutely crazy. If I could unlock it, I would just use the key to unlock it everyday and push to start rather than having such a silly issue resolved for almost £800.

Offline Pat31

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 10:07:37 am »
Hi guys
I too have been having similar issues with my Mazda 6 2.2 sports 2010. It started on the 15th September 2014. Went to start car in the morning but nothing just 2 flashing red lights ( key and security).  I checked the batteries in keys and car, all fine. Then tried manual key start but couldn't turn the key, steering wheel was locked.
Had to get car towed to Mazda garage. They tried to connect to diagnosis computer but car was not having any of it. They first told me that car had gone into shut down/anti-theft mode and it would take 56 hour before it reset itself. After the 56 hours it still hadn't reset itself and basically they didn't have a clue. A week later and about 7 hours of initial diagnosis costs! they manually reprogrammed the car, to get it talking to their computer and then got it started. They could not tell me want caused it or how to prevent it happening again, anyway I had my car back great news.
After driving it for a few days one night driving home I notice the key and push button light flashing, drove it home for about 7 miles and parked it on the drive and it stopped flashing red.
Phoned Mazda next day and they diagnosis it again but nothing major showed up (still clueless).
Next day it took my 3-4 attempts to start the car and then when I tried it later that day it went in to shut down mode again!! It is now at Mazda and I am falling out of love with everything to do with Mazda.
I have mentioned the corroded earth, but they apparently they checked that first time round.
Car still with Mazda so will post again when I get more info. But any help would be appreciated.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 07:58:34 am »
I have been away for a week so only just catching up with this. I assume your car has keyless ignition, in which case when you remove the emergency key from inside the fob and put it in the ignition it is not meant to turn, only to make a connection. You must still press the starter button with the emergency key in the ignition slot. You could also try pushing the starter button in by pressing the key fob against it and holding it in. This is how the dealers start the cars when they are new before the remotes have been programmed to the individual car.
I will continue to check this thread to see if I can help. Obviously this is more than just the isolated incident that I was led to believe, but Mazda seem unable to resolve it

Offline Pat31

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 07:31:02 am »
Thanks for replying sorry I couldn't reply earlier however Mazda don't seem to know what the cause is. Cutting a long story short I got my car back Friday and apart from reprogramming it again they couldn't pinpoint the issue.
This morning car didn't start first time, and was told not to try it lots of times just tow it back to garage so they could diagnosis the initial faults. Let see what happens now!!