Author Topic: Mazda 6 2.2 D SL  (Read 8652 times)

Offline CoreyDog

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L
  • Year: 2011
Mazda 6 2.2 D SL
« on: September 11, 2016, 08:39:49 pm »
Hi all,

Brand new member and just looking for alittle advice.

My trusty old Volvo S40 1.8 is due a change and I've taken a fancy to the Mazda 6 Estate.

Basically it will be my dog carrying car and motorway plodder, planning to keep around 8 years as I have with my Volvo.

I'm going to view a 2010 Mazda 6 Estate 2.2D SL, it seems a lovely car with 84,000, all the history, chain changed etc. Only issue is it had a tyre replaced and now the Tyre Pressure Warning light is on and won't go off. Anyone come across this? Seems small but it is playing on my mind

Is there anything specific to look for on this car? I hear the chain can be an issue but has been recently changed. How often do they usually last? I also read the DPF can be problematic but I'm not afraid to take a car through the rev range and will get good motorway runs so I'm hoping (????) it shouldn't be a concern.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I've always owned Volvo's and Fords so I'm beyond clueless with Mazda's.

Thanks in advance.   :)

Offline slavikost

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
Re: Mazda 6 2.2 D SL
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 11:57:49 pm »
Welcome in the forum.
Warning tyre light means some of your tires is flat,pressure sensor faulty broken or non existing and the last is the car is unable to receive the wireless signal from the tyre sensors.
I loved the tyre pressure system on my old Renault Laguna where you can see clearly in which tyre is the problem.In the  Mazda you are looking to buy it just shows you have a problem somewhere!
When I purchased my car 3 years ago from dealer all the lights on the dashboard were off.No Problem at all.And after 1-2 days driving the same light for tyre pressure came on.I have tried 10 times to play with more or less pressure in the different tyres.Nothing helps.After 6 months the light pissed me off and I have purchased two brand new Mazda tyre pressure sensors from ebay for 50 pounds(by the way they are Continental and exactly the same as the originally fitted and the listing was for both of them).And after that came the tricky part to find out which tyre is faulty.I read somewhere you have to drive with the new tyre few minutes with  certain speed and the car will recognise the new sensor automatically. Now I can say this is true and luckily for me first changed tyre was the faulty one.No tyre pressure light after that.Happy days.
But the story continue.....After few months I wanted to replace the faulty sensor in my spare tyre with the second new sensor.And for big surprise of me and the tyre fitter the sensor was completely missing.Internal part of the sensor the size of matchbox was not inside of the tyre at all!!!Now can you somebody explain me how is possible dealer to sell me the car without one tyre sensor and this to not trigger the light on the dashboard for few days????

Offline CoreyDog

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 06:07:45 pm »
Thanks for the information Slav, sounds like the sensor could be a pain.

Decided against that car after all, turns out has twice the number of owners he advertised it as (Luckly I researched the car) and has never passed an MOT first time, failed last time due to exposed cord on two tyres, clearly car been run on a budget and not kept on top of.

So my search continues! Seem quite hard to find but I'm set on a Mazda 6 Estate now.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 07:03:14 pm »
If you are still looking, try the Motorpoint website, they seems to have several 6's. Stock changes almost daily.

Offline CoreyDog

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 08:01:40 pm »
If you are still looking, try the Motorpoint website, they seems to have several 6's. Stock changes almost daily.

Thanks, I'll take a look now.

Seem to be quite rare to find good ones.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 03:40:03 pm »
The SL must be some kind of special edition. There are only 5 on AutoTrader, all of them 59 reg and one is CAT D.

MotorPoint does newer cars, max 3 years old and 20K miles.

It is best to avoid independent dealers that source them from the auctions as you can go ahead and buy directly from the auction. The reason that these cars are sold through the auctions is that the franchises have already rejected them as requiring a lot of work and/or being risky for their business. Trade auctions that are not open to the public, sell the ex-leasing cars which turn out to have good maintenance in exchange for higher mileage, but you can only buy these cars from independent dealers.

Check the bigger franchises like Evans Halshaw and Arnold Clark for reasonable trade-ins.

The cheapest franchise dealer 6 currently on the Auto Trader is one from Arnold Clark:

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/mazda/6/2-2d-ts-125-5dr/2009/ref/arnel-u-559569

2009 2.2 45K miles but the basic 125PS version for £4.7K

Even with the franchises, you will need to put a lot of effort to make any sense of the automatic replies they give you in every question you have.

In any case, if you go for that money, you should check the approved used cars.

The cheapest is an extra £300 compared to the franchise price, but for £5K you get all the approved used car benefits. Usually these cars are better maintained as they are serviced in the Mazda dealers and are low in miles:

http://www.mazdausedcarlocator.co.uk/used-cars/6463311-mazda-mazda6-2.2d-ts-125-5dr/

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 02:33:50 pm »

Thanks, I'll take a look now.

Seem to be quite rare to find good ones.

Very true,been said on here before, if people have a good one running well Diesel or Petrol they tend to hang onto them. So finding something reasonable can be difficult.