Author Topic: I can`t lock the car-Mazda 6 Sport diesel 2008  (Read 8250 times)

Offline slavikost

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
I can`t lock the car-Mazda 6 Sport diesel 2008
« on: September 09, 2016, 10:44:43 pm »
Hi All,

Today after short driving I have exit the car and when tried to lock the doors I found it impossible.The car is manual diesel 2008 and I`ve never had any electronic problems with it.It is model with folding key with 4 buttons on the base.I have this habit to check if the door are locked after the pressing the lock button on the key.I am always pressing the button twice in order to lock the inside of the door as well.I have checked all the doors and this time they were not locked.I know sometimes if one door is open and it is not possible to lock the rest.So I have opened and closed few times each door.Everything seems to me normal.When I tried the boot/hatch door I discovered I can open it with the key hatch button and with pressing the rubber button on the car ,but when I try to close it, it would not close itself.This pulling of the door at the end of the closing is not working.If I press it hard it closes completely and after that can be open again.
But trying to lock the car and negative result again and again.The doors are not locked.I can hear some sort of locking noise from them which makes me think the battery of the key is OK.
Finally I have locked them one by one manually with pressing the locking lever inside.I am not sure even if the alarm is active when car is locked like that.
Anybody with similar experience?
Or somebody at least to have any idea from where to start searching for possible fault?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:49:27 pm by slavikost »

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: I can`t lock the car-Mazda 6 Sport diesel 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 12:28:26 pm »
Cheapest way first replace battery in fob see if that cures the problem it may be weaker than you think or the contacts inside may not be making proper contact with the battery.  Have you tried the second fob ? and don't think just because it's been laying around not been used that will be ok they all go flat over time worth replacing both. If none of this works have the battery checked on the car that may not be in a good state of charge and that can cause all sorts of wierd problems with the electrics. I would try all these things before you look deeper.
Cheers Steve  8)

Offline slavikost

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 07:06:53 pm »
Thank you for the answer.
Update on the problem.Next day I went to the car with the second key and.....it was impossible to unlock it with any of the fobs.Obviously the car battery was dead.I removed it and charged it with my CTEK charger at home.Very strange but the charger will not complete all the charging steps(I have tried 3-4 times) and the lights for 5and 6 steps are on +the error(!) light on as well.After third try multimeter reads 11.68V.After another try reads 11.8V.I just dont know if the charger is not charging or the battery is faulty.It is Bosch silver S4 028,840A,95Ah and I have purchased it exactly a year ago.Today I have installed it in the car again and everything is working fine(locking,unlocking) but even after driving the battery will not go more than 12.2 V.When the engine is working the voltage is 13.8V.May be have to think about new battery again.This time the cheapest on the market.I just don`t want to wait for RAC van some cold morning in the near future.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 11:11:43 am »
Have you checked that the battery connections in the car are clean and well made.?
Also if you suspect the main battery, you can always get it checked with the supplier. They will tell you if you have a dud cell or more. What warranty was on the battery when you bought it.?

Offline slavikost

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 10:25:53 pm »
Yes.I believe some of the cells of the battery is faulty.Even if it is completely charged with 12.8V showing in 2-3 days in the car without driving it will go down to 12V.
The other possibility is something in my car to discharge the battery when parking.It is not some of the internal lights-I have disconnected the boot light and switched off the others.
 The battery came with 2 years warranty and still have a year left but unfortunately it is not from UK shop.I have purchased it last summer when went on holiday  in Europe.It was normal garage with many car batteries  and the price was probably 3/4 of the price in UK(the reason for the  impulse purchase).
Obviously and the big brands batteries(Bosch) can go wrong.
By the way the original Mazda battery lasted 6,5 years.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:50:08 am »
You state some of the battery cells are faulty, then it sounds like that is the place to start .
My original battery did 4 years, before starting to fail. Two cells were gone. New Battery
and things returned to normal.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:19:49 pm »
Yep sounds like your battery has had it  :(and will only go on to give you more problems >:(If you intend keeping the car long term then get a good new one of a well known make it will probably work out cheaper in the long run  :)If batteries are cheap there is usualy a reason some where why. Having to have autos myself the battery is the NUMBER ONE part of the car ;)
cheers steve  8)

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 06:20:59 pm »
Yep sounds like your battery has had it  :(and will only go on to give you more problems >:(If you intend keeping the car long term then get a good new one of a well known make it will probably work out cheaper in the long run  :)If batteries are cheap there is usualy a reason some where why.
cheers steve  8)