Author Topic: No Power and Thick Grey/Black smoke from exhaust  (Read 12668 times)

Offline atabor

• S Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
No Power and Thick Grey/Black smoke from exhaust
« on: August 12, 2016, 11:56:56 am »
Hello,

This my first post and wondered if anyone had come across this problem before?

On starting my car will rev up but when you try to drive off it has no power and stalls. A little smoke comes from the exhaust, but gets heavier and thicker and darker as the engine warms up. I have had the DPF removed  and remapped as the light was flashing and it would not regenerate.

It has been to the garage and they have removed all the codes and lights, but it has made no difference. They have sent the car back saying they do not know what the problem is!

The only issue that comes up on the codes is the MAF, but it makes no difference when it is disconnected or removed so they are not sure it is that which is causing the problem.

I am just hoping someone has come across these issues before.

Thanks in advance

Offline atabor

• S Class
Re: No Power and Thick Grey/Black smoke from exhaust
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 12:24:29 pm »
Just to add it is a Mazda 6 2L diesel.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 06:45:14 pm »
I had a Ford Diesel some years ago that started thick Black smoking and very little power. Was like a black fog behind it. The answer/cause of the smoke being unburnt fuel . Cause of that on that car,a failed injector.
New  set of injectors  solved the problem for that car.!!

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 05:19:13 pm »
Hello,

This my first post and wondered if anyone had come across this problem before?

On starting my car will rev up but when you try to drive off it has no power and stalls. A little smoke comes from the exhaust, but gets heavier and thicker and darker as the engine warms up. I have had the DPF removed  and remapped as the light was flashing and it would not regenerate.

It has been to the garage and they have removed all the codes and lights, but it has made no difference. They have sent the car back saying they do not know what the problem is!

The only issue that comes up on the codes is the MAF, but it makes no difference when it is disconnected or removed so they are not sure it is that which is causing the problem.

I am just hoping someone has come across these issues before.

Thanks in advance

If it has been re-mapped following this unecessary removal of parts then what has your garage messed up in the   re -mapping
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline atabor

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 09:42:54 am »
Thanks for your answers.

The problem started before the removal of the DPF after the light had been flashing for a while and it would not regenerate (a different garage tried on several occasions). This prompted me to have the DPF removed by someone that advertises this service.

All the codes have been cleared and there are no flashing lights on the dashboard. I am wondering if it is a MAF problem or the Fuel Injectors?

Offline atabor

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 07:34:40 am »
Have now put on another MAF and there is no difference! Idling badly and smoking heavily, I have to pump the accelerator to get the revs up.

I am desperate for ideas.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: Takuya
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 11:31:23 am »
You mention injectors, are these ok, also do you have compression on all cylinders ?

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 12:14:48 pm »
You mention injectors, are these ok, also do you have compression on all cylinders ?

Agree with this. But in the back of my mind, I feel that your remap has been screwed up.  Always a potential problem when you start messing with the ECU and especially when you start eliminating critical components such as the DPF.

In your original post you say   
I have had the DPF removed  and remapped as the light was flashing and it would not regenerate.

I see that you went to a garage for help which didn't help. Perhaps they were unfamiliar with the problem, but based on this comment it would appear that you jumped straight in to the removal scenario before you explored the other possible solutions to your problem  i.e  forced regeneration ; adaptation of driving styles.  Removal and remap is a drastic step. And I have a feeling that you are paying the penalty.

Have you read the following ??        http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=36.0

http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=38.0
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline atabor

• S Class
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 02:09:43 pm »
My garage tried on a few occasions to force regen, but it would not work. The garage said it was too far gone.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 03:42:00 pm »
You haven't mentioned what your average driving profile is.  If as you say the garage told you it was too far gone ( A statement I find astonishing) then it would lead me to believe that your driving profile is not sufficient for the engine / ECU to initiate a regeneration.  Perhaps too many short / urban   journeys, which are detrimental to the optimal performance of a DPF equipped diesel engine, without the necessary low gear/ high speed cruise required to heat the engine sufficiently to trigger the regeneration correctly.  The reason the lights would not go out and the DPF was not regenerating,  was because the status of the engine i.e temperature, was not within the right parameters.

Because you made the choice to remove the DPF, in my opinion, there are only two options open to you for your current circumstances. One put the DPF back in and change your driving profile. Or two,  approach the garage that did your remap and talk the problem through with them. I feel sure that this is where your problem lies

Perhaps you would probably be better off with a petrol engine.

Offline atabor

• S Class
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 08:04:13 am »
I bought the car with over 70,000 miles on the clock. The problems started before I had the DPF removed, prompting me to have it removed. The light had been flashing for a while and it would not force regenerate - even twice by the garage, but it was driving OK. It was when it started smoking and struggling with no power that I took the drastic action to have the DPF removed.

It is the same now as it was with the PDF.

Offline atabor

• S Class
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 08:18:37 am »
After a diagnostic check it seems that the Fuel Pressure Sensor is to blame.

Does anyone know where I can find the part number? The one on the car is not visible.

Offline atabor

• S Class
rough idling and smoke
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 12:21:04 pm »
Hello,

I have been struggling for a while to sort out my Mazda 6 2L diesel. I have had a garage send it back without fixing it, I have had a diagnostic mechanic look at it and still it is parked on my drive.

My mechanic thought it might be a MAF problem, so I have put on a new one. The diagnostic mechanic said it was the fuel pressure so I have put on another one (not new as it is not available as an after part, but I matched the part number), I also put on a new fuel filter as he advised.

The car idles very roughly and smoke comes from the exhaust - you can smell unburnt fuel.

If I unplug the MAF it idles fine, but still smokes. If I unplug the fuel pressure sensor it idles fine, but still smokes. With both plugged in it idles badly and smokes.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

Andrew

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 01:01:11 pm »
As your latest posting relates to the same problem, I have merged the posts together.