Author Topic: My Supercharged MX5  (Read 14013 times)

Offline hoodedreeper

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2012
My Supercharged MX5
« on: March 06, 2018, 01:47:08 pm »
My weekend toy is a 1992 Supercharged MX5. I'll try and keep this brief because alot has happened in the almost 5 years of ownership

The car started off as a stock red 1.6 in Japan. It was highly tuned and was used in race events in and around the Gunma area. Sporting a Garage Vary body kit and bonnet, Quantum suspension, Twin Carbs, centre exit St Mays exhaust, Half Roll Cage, stripped interior and a boot spoiler, it was certainly a looker.

The car was exported over to the UK in 2007, barely covering 1400 miles on UK Soil it was sold in 2013 to a family well known in the MX5 community. The rare JDM goodies were stripped off the car and the rust free Mk1 was put back to stock.

In Sept 2013 i purchased the car and the car was delivered to me a couple of weeks later. Having had my previous Mk1 catch alight due to an Oil Cooler hose rubbing on the alternator, i had some spares ready to fit.

With the sale of my old Turbo kit, I got the car resprayed in the same Honda Amethyst Purple,along with a new set of wheels and a Forte Front Bumper. Arches were rolled and flared along with the aerial smoothed off

Offline hoodedreeper

• S Class
Re: My Supercharged MX5
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 02:03:12 pm »
Lets fast forward and see how the car looks today

The exterior has had a major overhaul with HKS graphics accompanied by companies who have helped with the build.

Jass Performance Flush Headlights and Stealth Turn Signal Indicators help define the front along with the Mazdaspeed A-Spec front bumper, custom canards and an RX7 FD3S 99 Spec front lip. A Garage Vary vented bonnet helps draw hot air out of the engine bay

Fibreglass Wide Arches house a set of Work Meister S12P 15x9j ET0 and 15x9j ET-20 wheels wrapped in Uniroyal Rainsport 3 205/50r15 tyres. Under the wheels are a set of 1.8 Ferodo DS2500 pads and Dimpled/Grooved discs with purple HEL braided hoses all round

Interior has been retrimmed in Black nappa leather with purple cross stitching,which includes seats,doorcards, parcel shelf and transmission tunnel. The dashboard from a Mk2.5 MX5 has been fitted and the Mk1 doorcards modified to fit. The Doorcards have Aluminium door pulls along with KG Works Door Handles and Carbon Fibre cups. Other pieces include Aluminium Gear Shifter and Handbrake handle by Jass Performance and a Chrome handbrake cover sourced from Nielex in Japan.

Driver's view is a custom set of Gauge Faces made by RevLimiter,surrounded by Art Works Dewa dials and RS Refine deep gauge rings.

The driver takes grip on a 360mm Mazdaspeed Steering Wheel retrimmed in black leather with a Mazdaspeed Lap Timer centred in the middle.

The radio has been re-located to the glovebox and the centre console has been replaced with a collection of AEM Digital Gauges. Displaying AFR,Boost,Volts, Oil Temp and Water Temp, the gauge faces were re-made by RevLimiter to match the speedo dials.

Offline hoodedreeper

• S Class
Re: My Supercharged MX5
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 02:12:51 pm »
The rear end hasn't been left out. A set of Garage Star Wing Stands and a carbon fibre Megan Racing wing has been bolted to the chassic. I modified a GT Diffuser from a Lotus Exige to fit around the wing stands, along with a custom centre exit exhaust. The bootlid has a KG Works Ducktail spoiler.

The rear lights were replaced with a genuine Garage Vary light panel along with their LED tail lights. Peeking through the hard top window you can see a white TR Lane Half Cage. This combined with the dampening adjustable HSD Dual Tech Coilovers and P1 Frame Rails make the car extremely sturdy especially in the corners on track.

The stock 1.6 engine has been left in place and an Eaton MP45 Supercharger (from a Mini Cooper S) bolted to the side. TR Lane supplied the kit to fit it all to the car which included the inlet,outlet,tensioner bracket and engine bracket. The nose pulley was replaced with a 15% reduction pulley producing 8psi of boost.

The radiator was dropped an inch and tilted back to allow the 52mm Intercooler pipes to fit over the top,mounting to a intercooler tucked behind the bumper. RX8 420cc Injectors provide a very good fuel supply while the Megasquirt Standalone ECU takes care of all the management and adjustments.

The engine bay has been resprayed White along with a colour coded Cam Cover which makes it pop nicely. Black Silicone hoses were fitted along with purple dress up bolts.

The car produces 204bhp at the flywheel and about 180lbft torque. May not sound alot compared to engines nowadays,but in something considerably light its a tonne of fun to drive!