Author Topic: Potential new 6 owner looking for preventative maintenance advice.  (Read 5475 times)

Offline pantera2075

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Hello all, newb here.

I’m in the market for a new workhorse and am interested in a 6 sport estate around 2010. I’ve not found one yet but I’m looking.
I’ve seen the horror stories surrounding these engines so I’m hoping for some advice on how to ward them off before I start.
I do 100 miles a day all dual carriageway so I’m pretty confident the DPF won’t be so much of an issue as long as it isn’t gunked up before I start.

So, from searching around and reading threads, here’s where I’m up to:
Change the injector seals.
New timing chain, or at least get it checked for stretch.
Sump off and clean out the oil strainer – and repeat at every subsequent oil change.

Is there anything else you can advise to keep it healthy?
Cheers, Phil

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
Re: Potential new 6 owner looking for preventative maintenance advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 12:42:57 pm »
It will not work out financially for you

You are well above the £1k mark already and you have to budget for brakes, exhaust, clutch, coolant and gear oil, any rust, battery, tyres, suspension bits, filters, etc

It would made sense if you were buying a younger model but an almost 10 years old car is a risk

You can buy these cars around £500 at the auctions, about half the money of any works

Then you can do these 500 miles per week, scrap it and buy another

Brand new small cars are now around £6k and so for 25k miles per year, you will spend more money upfront but on the longer term, you will have peace of mind

Test drive one of each before you part any money and ask questions about the maintenance

Keep in mind that the timing chain can turn out to be a service item every 20-30k miles, each time costing £1k, and any works at the injectors, is not just the seals, you will need to replace the fuel lines as well

Offline pantera2075

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 01:40:17 pm »
Yes, ^ is what I'm looking at doing. Maybe 45k miles then scrap it. I've done the same with the last 3 Saabs I've had and it has been extremely cost effective. I do most work myself.
I'm bored with Saabs feeling like they want to fall off the road if you show them a corner, so looking for something different.
I have my playthings for the weekend so I just want something reliable and big with a bit of poke.
Cheers,

Edit: Which auctions do you use to get one for £500.00?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:45:58 pm by pantera2075 »

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 11:57:17 am »
Give it a try then as you do the work at home, it will be cost effective.

Fix what is about to break and then see how it goes.

Just check the MOT history for rust, there are some cheap ones as MOT failures because of rust.

Check the central car auctions:

https://www.centralcarauctions.com/

They have live web camera to show you the sales and so this is how you can find out about the prices

The part exchange value is also similar and this is another give away