Author Topic: Squeeky Brakes  (Read 12612 times)

Offline tubbs

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Squeeky Brakes
« on: August 22, 2012, 11:15:01 am »
Hi

My 2010 M6 suffers from front squeaky brakes. Went in for 2ND service and i asked them to take a look. They said the cleaned and reseated the brakes pads are it should be fine now. However, under heavy braking or wet conditions they start squeaking again. Spoke to someone in service who looked into my car details and he mentioned there is signs of corrosion on the discs. So I dropped the car off at the local dealer and explained the background to the issue.

The garage response was that the disc may need skimming and its chargeable. To which I replied, the car is still under warranty and disc should not have any corrosion for a car that's done less then 24k. They will look into the matter now  ::)

Offline tubbs

• TS2 Class
Re: Squeeky Brakes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:10:33 am »
Hi

Further to my previous post. I had new discs and pads (Pagid) fitted. However, even after 300 miles plus the brakes squeak. Took it back to the garage and they said you need to brake hard to bed them in as the brake compound used is hard as used on performance cars. However, you should not need to do that in my opinion. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated

Offline SM25T

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:32:12 am »

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:54:27 am »
When you had your brakes replaced, did the dealership / garage apply some "anti-squeel shim" to prevent excessive noise?

This might not completely eradicate your problem but it might reduce the noise levels.

Farnsy

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »
I had problems, last year, with my brakes whilst my 2010 car was still under warranty, just. The dealer suggested that the discs needed to be skimmed and wanted to charge me for it as the brakes are only covered for the first 9000 miles. I spoke to Mazda direct and after some discussion they agreed to pay. Brakes have been great since. It's worth a call.

Offline tubbs

• TS2 Class
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 07:51:36 am »
My car is out of warranty now so Mazda will NOT want to know. Spoke to the garage who fitted the brakes and they suggested braking hard a few time at high speed to embed the pads. Its something that is recommended by Paged themselves. Tried all that and the brakes still squeak. Will take the Car back and get the pads changed. On a plus note the car does stop better than the original OEM pads!!

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 09:02:54 am »
Spoke to the garage who fitted the brakes and they suggested braking hard a few time at high speed to embed the pads. Its something that is recommended by Paged themselves. Tried all that and the brakes still squeak.

This might sound a little daft, but did you also do this in reverse.  Sometimes the squeal emanates from the trailing edge of the pads. Heavy braking in reverse might help.

Disclaimer  :   Please make sure if you do this, that you are not on a public road and that you maintain control of the vehicle at all times.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.