Author Topic: Engine issues, warning lights, carbon build up ?  (Read 16817 times)

Offline Deandeano50

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2014
Engine issues, warning lights, carbon build up ?
« on: April 16, 2019, 11:45:55 am »
Hi

I have a 2014 Mazda 6 diesel . It’s currently reached 105k mileage and I have been running it for the last 80k.

I have had some issues while owning. The low oil pressure light has been on twice and rectified. Plus alternator belt snapped at about 80k.

It has had the latest engine recall from Mazda .

However my car is poorly again with a new issue. The scbs warning light appeared and maintenance inspection light . At the same time power was significantly down.

It is now in a independent garage . Believed the issue is a carbon build up and in the first instance the intake manifold will be cleaned . Already appears it will be pretty expensive and I will update when I know more .

Anyone else has similar issues ?

Cheers

Dean

Offline Deandeano50

• S Class
Re: Engine issues, warning lights, carbon build up ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 10:53:01 pm »
Update on my issues.

Car has been at an independent garage for two days. I did not fancy paying Mazda £130 just to diagnose problems.

Anyway work completed so far. Checked turbo actuator all ok. Removed map sensor and intake temperature sensor to find inlet manifold full of carbon . Requires new map sensor and removal of intake manifold to clean out carbon .

Remove clean and refit intake manifold  .removal of sump to check oil pick up for contamination.

After a test run fault codes are gone but garage suspects low end turbo not boosting. So this needs looking at.

I got the car back as a bank holiday weekend . On a dual carriageway and the scbs malfunction and vehicle inspection required warnings came up .
Currently over £600 later and still not sorted . So obviously not happy with the mazda at the moment . 

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 10:09:17 am »
Is there any case these codes are unrelated to the engine?

Does scbs malfunction mean something like this?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=scbs+malfunction

Because if it is just some dirty sensor, the work you did is not related. The second code may be related to this one.

Now that you have the new map sensor and the clean manifold, check the turbo and the injectors and you will be fine.

Offline Deandeano50

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:16:10 pm »
Cheers

To be honest I don’t know why the scbs inspection light comes on in Relation to this . Plus vehicle inspection required. I have read the turbo could be the main issue .

There is definitely a lack of low down power and jerky engine braking at low speeds .

My car is an automatic. As a result you also loose the ability to use the manual Side of it and the numbers disappear on the auto box .

Sighs !!

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 07:56:18 am »
The turbo fails from lack of oil.

You need to investigate why the gearbox "turns off".

I think you have to find somebody who can read the ECU or knows what they are doing. So maybe if you can pay the dealer to do that and fix it elsewhere if possible, you could save money.

Offline Deandeano50

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 05:48:49 pm »
The Fault code on my car is P0299 Turbocharger/supercharger underboost .

Its now with Mazda to fully diagnose.

I found this post below from the CX5 forum. Pretty much what is happening to mine so will be interesting to hear what happens with Mazda Customer service.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 150PS, 2.2 litre diesel suffered a complete loss of power driving on the M6 at around 70mph, about 200 miles into a 500 mile journey from Hampshire to Scotland. I limped onto the hard shoulder from the middle lane upsetting the driver of the car I had just overtaken. A couple of advisory messages regarding the SCBS and TPMS systems came up about 10 miles before and I had planned to get to services and investigate but ground to a halt about a mile short of Charnock Richard services. Fortunately, I am with a breakdown service, Britannia Rescue who were contacted and duly arrived The breakdown service plugged in a diagnostic handheld computer and came up with the message

P0299 Turbocharger/supercharger underboost

(On hindsight, I had noticed something like a slight turbo-lag when I had accelerated onto the M42 from the M40 about 100 miles previously but it was only momentary.)

I was taken back to main dealer where I got the car in Newbury, Berks. They were not surprised by the failure and I think I was the third or fourth in the previous two weeks period.
The car is a 13 registration (purchased new, on the road Jun 2013) early engine model (chassis number within the early cam shaft failure range given on the forum) and at the time, around 59500 miles on the clock and a couple of weeks shy of 4 years old, hence about a year and 10000 miles out of warranty. I have had the car from new and it has been serviced at the Mazda main dealer to schedule.

Looked on the forum and found I was not alone, thanks to previous reports.

The car was off the road for 5 weeks due to lack of replacement turbos.

In the end, I was told the turbo, vac pump and camshaft were replaced and the head was de-coked. The service managed explained that the failure was due to the excessive carbon build-up rather than camshaft wear. The total cost was about £2500 for the two jobs, failed parts replacement being one job and de-coke the other. Mazda UK, through goodwill, covered 80% of the cost and I covered the £500 residual. I was told that since I had made a contribution I was covered with a guarantee against a future failure.  Mazda also covered the cost of a hire car for around 2 weeks of the 5 weeks when I couldn’t do without one.

Since the work was done, I have completed a journey up to Scotland and can report improved fuel consumption. I have previously posted on the forum an unexplained decreasing mpg value with mileage and I believe that this can now be put down to carbon build-up.

Offline Deandeano50

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 01:48:02 pm »
Another update on mine .

Mazda saying there is s rivet broken in the turbo it’s one unit . Total cost to repair replace £1900.

Went down the goodwill route and Mazda refusing to pay anything . It was serviced by main dealer up to 70k.

Any advice on repair, replacing and complaining ?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 08:37:28 am »
I do not think you can complain.

They will use trade laws and will claim that they sell a product with limited warranty.

All warranty requirements such as age, mileage, service, have now expired and as a result, they will claim that they deal with each customer on individual basis.

Then they will claim that if the service intervals had been followed, their last service would have taken place at 62,500 miles.

They will use the other services as well to claim that the damage may have done by the extended beyond their recommendations service intervals.

In any case, even if they replace the turbo, you must find out the source of the problem.

Are the injectors leaking?

Is the oil pick up clean?

Cars should be scrapped with their original turbos. 105,000 miles is too short for modern engines. Somebody had posted that had done 270,000 miles with a first generation car.

As it stands, your best bet is to check the injectors and the oil pick up. You then have to investigate the turbo damage.

You may be able to rebuild it.

You may be able to replace it with a reconditioned and avoid down time while rebuilding yours and hope that you will get a better used turbo.

You may need to buy a new turbo.

If you do the injectors, the oil pick up and the turbo at an independent garage, it should cost you less than the dealer.

If you decide to do the repairs, you should then keep the car for 2-3 years at least to make it pay back.

If you plan to trade in the car within the next period, better do it now without doing the repairs.

Do an AutoTrader valuation and decide whether it is worthy.

Your previous two low oil pressure warnings are the root of the problem.

Do not repair or replace the turbo without checking the injectors and the oil pick up.

Offline Colin Mitchell

• S Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Trim: SE-Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 12:40:32 pm »
I have had the SCBS warning, traction control warning, "Vehicle System Malfunction", loss of power, loss of cruise control, loss of iStop.
First diagnosis said vacuum pump fault, but has since been discounted, and lastly carbon build up on MAP sensor.

After the first diagnosis they all reset when the car is switched off.  (vehicle system malfunction didn't, but hasn't re-occurred since the first fix.)

The faults codes and loss of power are generated all at once to protect the engine "limp mode", and in my case sparked off by (fairly moderate) revving....about 3000 revs is all it took last time.

have fingers crossed.