Author Topic: What make of fuel do you use?  (Read 30426 times)

Offline 185_jools

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Re: What make of fuel do you use?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 11:45:55 am »
Prior to my Mazda, which I have only had 3 weeks, Tesco 99 Momentum, as the previous car was tuned to run on Super or higher grade.
Now trying Tesco standard Derv, previous 2 fill ups were Shell Fuelsave. ( Done 2k in these 3 weeks as been on holiday in it and they gave a me a tank of Shell from the dealers)
Will then try Sainsburys own to see if it is any worse (or better). Sainsburys only because I can get 5% off via an indirect company perk.
Black 2009 Mazda 6 Sport 185

Offline meddylad

• TS Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 03:36:35 pm »
Ive only just noticed that the inside sticker on the petrol flap specifies 97 RON Super unleaded....so does this mean that the engine has been mapped to run on this or is it just a recommendation?

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 04:00:43 pm »
This is from an article I found on the subject of petrol:

"Know that for many cars, filling them with premium unleaded as opposed to regular unleaded will make no noticeable difference to their performance and will be an unnecessary expense as practically no engines require petrol with a higher rating than 95 RON. Unless you are driving a high performance sports car, or using your car to race, there's usually no need to choose premium petrol."

I think this says it all.

Offline 185_jools

• Sport Class
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 08:06:07 pm »
Unless you are driving a high performance sports car, or using your car to race, there's usually no need to choose premium petrol."
I agree. Turbo performance cars or highly tuned N/A engines benefit from higher grade. VAG FSi engines tend to benefit from it too and my 1.8t Skoda was certainly noticibly less responsive on 95 instead of it's usual diet of 99 Momentum and economy dropped a couple of MPG, but then it was running at the limit of the standard turbo.
Black 2009 Mazda 6 Sport 185

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 08:16:24 pm »
My Volvo T5 ran much better on the expensive higher octane stuff, fuel consumption was much better too.

Offline paul

• S Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 10:02:43 pm »
HI fuel that old conundrum ,yes suppermarkets get fuel from same place but that is wear the additives are added on the line into the tankers. when unleaded first came out had z1000year 1981 when i first had to put unleaded in got orendus preignition thought my old girl was broken :'( got back home checked her over all OK,so presumed bad pet,found she did the same on next tank of unleaded .so when supper came out all was OK no more searching for leaded fuel . all ways use higher the octane the better .used in 1.4 Astra which i have had since 96 now done 107000 Miles so obviously use supper in my Mazda. only try to use named brand of fuel, in my blackbird(motorbike) i allways try to use Shell vpower seem to get more miles per gallon,better performance,and starting ,

hey but is it sociological and good marketing playing with our heads and WALLET

Offline blueboy82

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 05:57:33 pm »
use better fuel you get better mpg remember you get what you pay for but more distance covered over a year should put a few pennies in your pocket.... high octane fuels work well with performance spark plugs definately better pull in mid range torque

Offline cleughy

• S Class
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 11:53:35 am »
im getting a nice 47.81 mpg from shell's value diesel. i'd have to go out of my way to buy any other brand and shell is cheapest anyway.

Offline metalmickey

• Sport Class
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 07:31:55 pm »
Decided to try some shell v power petrol recently, put 20 litres in.
Have to say the car is running more smoothly, not hesitating during pulling off in first as it is prone to do and sounds less noisey.
Won't use it all the time maybe 1 in 4 fills depending how fuel prices go.

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Clearwater Blue (40B)
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 06:14:56 am »
Shell V-Power diesel. Always. It cleans your engine gives you better fuel economy. Despite the higher price, it still works out cheaper than regular diesel due to the better mpg the fuel gives.
Skoda Octavia vRS 230 DSG Hatch
Mazda 6 Hatchback TS2 2.0 Manual
Mazda 6 Tourer Sport 2.2 175 Auto
Mazda 3 Hatchback Sport 185 Manual
Ford Focus mkII Zetec 2.0 TDCi
Ford Focus mkI Zetec 1.8i

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Trim: Takuya
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 03:42:00 pm »
This is from an article I found on the subject of petrol:

"Know that for many cars, filling them with premium unleaded as opposed to regular unleaded will make no noticeable difference to their performance and will be an unnecessary expense as practically no engines require petrol with a higher rating than 95 RON. Unless you are driving a high performance sports car, or using your car to race, there's usually no need to choose premium petrol."

I think this says it all.

What he says above totally agree . Why waste money?

Offline metalmickey

• Sport Class
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 09:10:29 pm »
Maybe the extra cleaning additives benefit, no harm in trying as extra ?2 for the 20 litres I put in not breaking the bank.
As I said the car is running more smoothly with less hesitation when pulling off.
I'm not saying the performance is any better but the drive just seems to be better.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 09:14:30 pm »
You have a petrol engine like me and as I have said earlier in this thread, I use Esso petrol. I find it is by far the best for the Mazda engine. It's smoother and more mileage to the gallon. I don't use any other if I can help it.

Offline Flying KD

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 02:14:22 pm »
There is no substitute for quality Premium brand fuel, if a car is being kept longer term then the benefits will be felt in a cleaner engine as the additives are consistent. My father used to check the quality of fuels and the supermarkets buy from the "spot market" with wildly differing qualities and sources. The additives for these fuels are usually added in an "ad hoc" manner by the tanker driver after the tanker is filled at the refinery then mixed literally with a stick or let the movement in transit mix the additive, not a very scientific approach. The cars will perform on poor quality low octane fuel as has been mentioned but this is not a long term answer if future bills are to be avoided.

Offline brman

• S Class
  • Trim: TS
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 01:01:31 pm »
It probably depends on the car but I agree with those that say better fuel is better.

Yes, all modern engines will adjust themselves to lower octane and run fine, but they will do this by "detuning" themselves - retarding the ignition etc. With a higher octane fuel they can run more efficiently (ie more power and/or better economy). That is basic physics imho.
Whether you will notice it in driveability and economy depends on you as much as the car - the affect can be quite subtle. What I can say is that with my 6 (which has done 120k miles) the affect is noticable. I've tried both shell V power and their normal and the v power gives noticably more low end grunt and better fuel economy round town. (On motorway journeys I can't tell the difference) I've yet to do proper sums to work out whether it is cost effective though.

As to additives, I am not so sure about the different fuels but my 6 was starting to hestitate as it went through 3k rpm. This got worse to the point I decided to do something about it. As it happens somewhere local was selling redex petrol treatment cheap so I decided to give it a go. Now I am in general very cynical about such things and had no expectations that it would make any difference at all. But it did, after a couple of tanks of treated petrol the hestitation the hestitation is gone. Whether it will stay gone when I stop using the additive I don't know.

Last bit of "evidence". A mate used to have a MG ZS 2.5L. He ran it from 30k miles to about 100k miles and, over a period of 4 years logged all his mileage and petrol use/cost. 2 years on 95 ron, 2 years on super. His spreadsheet shows that the super unleaded saved him 10% on the petrol cost. ie. increased in cost of the super was significantly outweighed by improved economy.

Now these are the results from just two cars so don't prove any affect on other cars. But it does prove that anyone who states that fuel brand/octane rating will not make a difference on any car is wrong ;)