Author Topic: Keyfob mod  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Ghost 6

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Keyfob mod
« on: May 02, 2020, 12:30:22 am »
Hey
I was wondering if there is any mods for key fobs,
Like switching a keyless for a display one or anything Like that,
Any links will also help thanks

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Keyfob mod
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 08:55:18 am »
I googled display key and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_4dwQXuF3k

Dubbed BMW Display Key, the touch-sensitive key is an optional item for the new 7 Series and in the U.S., it only costs $250. For that little amount – which is cheaper than many other BMW keyfob replacements – they key features four buttons on the front for lock, unlock, trunk release, and panic.

No surprise that there are millions of BMW lickers who want to retrofit this thing. If you go through their forums you will realise that this is not really a key but a mobile phone.

There are different posts for being a 2G, then 3G and now 4G mobile phone.

It sounds a bit extreme to manage to retrofit such a thing in your car without major expense. I mean most people will scrap their car if it needs a few hundreds in repairs and I cannot see how this mobile phone key will cost less than a few thousands.

Plus you have to consider how to save it from fire from the coronavirus ultras burning telephone, broadband and mobile phone infrastructure.

If you wait a couple of years there is a better chance of being able to buy a used BMW for less money than what it will cost to alter the car to accept this mobile phone key. You can such a car with the key used in the UK from 18,800.

In general when you realise that a USA BMW 7 starts from 86,800 on their website and they sell this mobile phone key as a 250 extra, something does not make sense here.

If it was something easy to install, then Mazda would sell it as an extra as well.