Author Topic: Fuel economy  (Read 4408 times)

Offline andrec81

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
Fuel economy
« on: March 09, 2019, 09:53:55 pm »
Hi all. Just wondering what average mpg everyone is getting on the 2.0 mk2 petrol. I've just bought a 2010 Takuya and the mpg is not what official figures suggest. By a long shot. I've only done about 150 miles after purchasing. The first half was mostly urban short journeys returning under 24mpg. Then I did a few hours motorway which raised the average to 28.8. I would like to know if this is normal or should I be investigating if there's something wrong with the car. Thanks!

Offline Frankie406

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Trim: SE-L
  • Year: 2014
Re: Fuel economy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 06:38:15 pm »
Try resetting the ecu, and check your tyre pressure use quality fuel and a good service also.

Offline andrec81

• S Class
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:45:04 pm »
Resetting the ECU worked a treat. Getting close to 30mpg around town now! Cheers for the advice.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 06:24:05 pm »
You need to log the fuel bought and miles run over several fill ups to  get a decent average. As the car is new to you perhaps you are giving it more beans  to try  it out.
 The mpg on the dash can be +/-  10% out  as it not based  on through put of fuel , but many readings that are used.

You could also check to see if any of the brakes are binding on each wheel in turn.

Do you drive on your brakes or allow the car to slow down on its own ?
Consumption improves in the summer and goes down in the winter.  Also depends on the mix of driving and length of trips, whether its garaged overnight.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire