Author Topic: Low oil pressure light  (Read 4011 times)

Offline Hickin

• S Class
  • Colour: Whitewater Pearl (25D)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Low oil pressure light
« on: April 22, 2019, 04:31:15 pm »
Hi, this is my first post, so I hope I explain everything ok.
I had the oil change needed come on then this was followed by the low oil pressure light. When i checked the oil level it was at the x mark. Luckily i was almost home at this point. I have now changed the oil and filter but the oil pressure light is still on.
Does this light need to be reset or should it go out on it's own? And if it does need resetting is it something that can be done by myself or does it need a code reader and the like.
I drove the car for 10 miles after the oil change and the engine sounds like it always has.
It's a Mazda 6 sport nav 2015.
Many thanks mark

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Low oil pressure light
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 08:57:25 am »
If you have the oil pressure light on, you are in serious engine problems.

You can reset the service indicator but this is not linked to the oil pressure light.

Your best bet will be to measure the oil pressure:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=measure+engine+oil+pressure#kpvalbx=1

There is a very high chance that the oil pick up has been blocked.

Your engine sounds like before but this may not last for too long if it runs with limited oil circulation.

Diesel engines need frequent oil changes and these Mazda engines have a bad reputation on leaking fuel through the injector and then tarring the oil blocking the oil circulation.

The 12.5k miles oil change interval may be too long even without any problems from the injectors.

Mazda Australia service intervals are advertised as half the mileage compared to Mazda UK and while you can blame the dust and the heat, maybe more frequent oil changes could help UK cars from being scrapped too early.