Author Topic: Non starter started - for now  (Read 16389 times)

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
Non starter started - for now
« on: July 29, 2014, 12:26:40 pm »
A bit of a strange problem. When I tried to start the car yesterday morning the start/stop button glowed red and the car refused to do anything. All accesories were also completely dead and brake pedal felt solid. The RAC came out and first checked the battery which was okay. After several fruitless attempts he called out the recovery vehicle. We also had the added problem of the car being stuck in park as it is an automatic, but there is a shift lock release hidden beneath a small plastic square near the gear selector.
The car was recovered to Mazcare in Wolverhampton who had to do a forced restart so they could get error codes from the car.
Diagnosis was low battery in the remote fob which was not sending correct signal to the immobilser cauing the car to lock down. A quick reprogram and replacement remote battery and car was running as normal, but this morning took three pushes of the start button to fire into life although the starter was glowing green.
So basically a few questions:- has anyone had a similar problem, what is a forced restart and can I do it myself to enable me to drive to garage if it happens again?

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
Re: Non starter started - for now
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 08:02:18 am »
Update. Well today I got in the car and back to square one. Start button glows green for a split second when you put your foot on the brake then turns red and red key light on dash lights up. Currently waiting for RAC to recover car.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:41:31 pm »
Have you tried the key option? If you are not aware, there is a key clipped into the fob. Remove the cover from where you would normally insert the ignition key in the car and insert the key from the fob, but do not try to turn it. Now try the starter button.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:01:01 pm »
Hi Bazzamf, I tried the key from inside the remote before I rang the RAC but starter still glows red and no ignition.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 12:17:24 pm »
Update 2. I got the car back for the second time this morning so hopefully all is sorted. Garage reckons it was the intrusion sensor located by the rear view mirror that was causing the problem. They have now replaced it, but it was £251 for the part plus fitting. I will see if this has solved the problem.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 02:38:22 pm »
You probably could have replaced it yourself much cheaper, if you had known what was causing the problem. The issue now is that if it does not work, will the garage give you your money back? I think I know the answer. Sometimes they have us by the short and curlys.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 05:24:31 pm »
Garage said the intrusion sensor fault did not show up on the first set of diagnostic codes,  basically saying two different faults caused exactly the same problem so I am not entirely convinced.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 07:51:23 am »
Update 3. Car now on its way back to garage after failing to start again today - exactly the same symptoms. There is obviously some underlying fault that is not being found, but my confidence in Mazda has gone from 100% to 0% in a very short space of time.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 11:03:50 am »
I think the problem nowadays is that things are far too complicated for the normal garage mechanic to resolve. They probably need some sort of electronics degree to cope. I hope they manage to resolve your problem eventually, especially as I have a similar car.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 12:06:46 pm »
Thanks Bazzamf. I will post updates till the car is fixed. I did search the net for anyone who has reported a similar problem but to no avail. Up till now the car has been ultra reliable and second only in comfort to an old Toyota Camry I once had.

Offline metalmickey

• Sport Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 08:25:49 pm »
If the issue was not the intrusion sensor ( no doubt they will still claim sensor was faulty ), I would ask for a refund for the unneccesary work already done.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 12:11:44 pm »
Garage have said they will refund cost of intrusion sensor. We seem to have it narrowed down to either a corroded earth terminal or a faulty Body Control Module, both of which are documented on various forums. Obviously the earth terminal is the cheaper fix so thats the way they are going at the moment. I will keep you informed but at the moment I am seriously considering getting rid of the car once it is running.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 04:46:10 pm »
You might regret getting rid once it's running OK. Remember, it's not the car, it's the incompetent garage that's letting you down. I hope it gets sorted soon.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 07:00:12 pm »
You might regret getting rid once it's running OK. Remember, it's not the car, it's the incompetent garage that's letting you down. I hope it gets sorted soon.

Have to agree once sorted run it, see how it goes, if cured you have a good motor. Otherwise you are selling someone a bargain second hand car that does what it says on the tin. If it starts to play up again then is time be thinking of getting rid of it.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 12:25:29 pm »
Update. Picked car up on Saturday morning and so far so good. I did have a look at the new Mazda 6 but as I want a petrol auto, the best option is the SE-L which means I would loose the Bi- Xenon headlights, heated front seats and the Bose stereo which are three of the reasons I bought the car. I also looked at a twelve month old Mercedes C Class, but was dissapointed with the refinement for a luxury brand and interior space was a lot less than the 6.
If the car continues to run okay, I will probably keep it a while longer.