Author Topic: 2015 2.2D rattle/ticking  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Choppit

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
2015 2.2D rattle/ticking
« on: December 18, 2018, 09:07:31 pm »
Driving my 2015 2.2D M6 (37K miles) this morning and I noticed a new rattle/ticking noise. It's only noticeable when the car is rolling with the clutch depressed, and sounds like injector rattle, but doesn't occur at all with the car stationary. The frequency changes with road speed. Any ideas? Clutch maybe?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: 2015 2.2D rattle/ticking
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 11:21:21 am »
Shaft bearing as it does it when it moves?

How did you make the link to the injectors? There is a injector calibration procedure for the second generation cars. Maybe yours has the same but I am not sure about the clutch changing the noise.

Are you still under warranty? Done the year 3 service at 37.5K miles?

Offline Choppit

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:43:25 am »
Initially feared injectors, and made the connection to the same because I've had cars in the late 80's that had noisy injectors. The injectors were (re)calibrated a few weeks back due to a safety recall, however I'm certain it's not the injectors as the issue can't be reproduced with the vehicle stationary. All services to date are complete, and unfortunately I'm now 8 months outside warranty. I need to figure out whether its worth getting it investigated/fixed as I'm considering trading it in over the next 1 - 3 months. I was in this position prior to buying the M6, the clutch on my previous car failed while I was looking for my next car and cost me £800, then I changed a month later.

Also, I found out this morning that the noise occurs when the car is rolling, irrespective of clutch, but only noticeable at low speed (< 20mph)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:48:21 am by Choppit »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:56:29 am »
I would try (in safe conditions)  driving the car,attain a speed at which you think you could hear the noise and knock it out of gear.
Release the clutch and let the car coast, as I say in safe conditions because legally you are not supposed to let a car coast at speed. It's called not being in proper control of the vehicle.

Then listen.................  I would tentatively suggest that you may have a rotational problem with one of the wheels.  Maybe something stuck in the spokes, maybe a loose wheelarch liner, maybe a stone stuck in the brake assembly.   I would eliminate all of these possibilities first before considering injectors or clutch.  Personally I've never heard of a clutch "ticking" before.   

A quick way to check your clutch. Park the car engage your handbrake. put into gear and try to drive off. If you stall then the clutch is OK. If your clutch pedal comes all the way up and you have not stalled, then your clutch plate is shot and you need to replace it.

But first I would look at your wheels.   
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:24:42 am »
If you want to keep the car, investigate it. If not, it is not worthy.

Keep in mind that if you decide to sell the car at this point, you will lose a lot and you will make a very happy new owner.

Three year old cars with average mileage (less than 1K miles per month), sell around £10K, which is less than half the price of a new car. Considering the part exchange price, you end up losing two thirds of what you paid for a new car.

There are a lot of heat shields under the car. These rot and start vibrating. It can be something as simple as that.

The safest bet is to inspect the car underneath. Somebody had written that hit something on the road and it started making a noise something but could not figure out what was going on. He called the road assistance which found out a piece of wood stack under the car. They removed that, drove it to the garage without any noises and inspected it only to be found that it was OK. So if you have a road assistance, they may be able to check that for free.

On way or another, if you want to find out what is going on, no matter how many test drives you do, you will do to do a close inspection. And if you cannot do, a trusty garage will be able to sort it out. But do not pay any silly bill if you have no intention to keep the car.