Author Topic: Why very few 2 liter plus autos in petrol  (Read 8565 times)

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Why very few 2 liter plus autos in petrol
« on: November 06, 2015, 05:57:12 pm »
Hi i find myself keep asking this question. With goverments and authorities advising diesle is worse for the envioroment than petrol. Why are there so few 2.0 liter plus auto petrols with at least 175 bhp ? If you look across the range of manufactures there more powerful cars are diesles, so if you want something with a bit of grunt to pull the auto box. If you go up market to say BMW lexus or jaguar yes they keep the power up on the petrols but if you come back to the affordable range then there is nothing, can't work out why any answers out there ?

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Why very few 2 liter plus autos in petrol
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:19:12 pm »
Could the answer be in the bit you mention the more affordable range ? Petrol consumption.?
Big petrol engines burn a great deal of fuel.
This was one of the reasons Diesels became so popular much better economy.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 08:00:44 pm »
Very true but with todays technology and as they keep saying diesle is so harmful to everything don't you think they could produce very frugal and good performance petrol engines. I know fom the past i had a 2.3 V6 mazda xedos miller a supercharged 5 seater saloon with 3 liter plus performance and not bad fuel consumption. Now that car was a 1999 if they could do that then i'm sure if they wanted to they could surpass that nowdays. Yes i'm still a bit of a boy racer at my age and due to injury have to have auto but the only reason i have the 2.2 175 sportnav diesle now is because it's the most powerful one they make. I'm sure there is a demand out there, A lot of the performance autos seem to be kept for the japanese and US markets. NISSAN SKYLINE SUBARUS ect Or is there another reason?

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Clearwater Blue (40B)
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 09:00:03 pm »
You could have bought a BMW 328i or 330i all automatic. Mazda doesn't make super fast cars for the UK. In Europe they do sell the skyactiv 2.5 with autobox. But not here.
Skoda Octavia vRS 230 DSG Hatch
Mazda 6 Hatchback TS2 2.0 Manual
Mazda 6 Tourer Sport 2.2 175 Auto
Mazda 3 Hatchback Sport 185 Manual
Ford Focus mkII Zetec 2.0 TDCi
Ford Focus mkI Zetec 1.8i

Offline BBOY

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 01:01:37 am »
I have unfortunately now sold my Mazda, which I bought from my company and having changed jobs I didnt want another diesel as my low mileage was going to be a lot lower now.

However, I had the same dilemma and to me it's appears to be a Japanese thing as well. Having bought mainly Japanese cars I wanted a decent power output from a petrol engine and generally favouring the Honda brand they're large engined Accords are real polluters these days and on top of that Honda have pulled the plug on the Accord model in the UK.

Also with the Japanese petrol they don't seem to have turbos so progress is made by working the engine hard and using the full rev range. It is for that reason I've gone to a German brand where I now have 1.8 petrol turbo with 7 gears.

I strongly believe that Mazda, Honda and Toyota are missing out in this market, but to be fair to Mazda they seem to have done well over the last few years and have over taken Honda with the technology in their cars. If only they did Skyactive petrol turbo on their 2 litre engines?

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 09:40:40 am »
If only they did Skyactive petrol turbo on their 2 litre engines?

Mazda are supplying a 150ps Skyactiv G Petrol AWD 6 speed manual spec,  for the CX-3 range.  However we have yet to see if it will be available as UK spec.
Maybe they will spread it across the models at sometime.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 11:36:51 am »
Yes i have to agree with the progress mazda have made light weight engines lightweight gearboxes on the autos. no torque converters on the autos,and as always they look good. Yes i do know the BMWs are out there but car for car at much greater cost and that's before you get into the serviceing. Just by reading the replies i can see there is a demand for the japanese brands to produce a higher performance petrol auto and munual all wheel drive 5 seater hatchback. But at the moment excluding mazda they seem to be going for smaller power units in non hatchback cars. I hope you are right about the all wheel drives and they come to the uk manual and auto in saloons and maybe hatchback, but at the moment if the goverment takes the line against the diesles, WHAT are they going to do with all the diesles cars vans jeeps that are out there and still being produced hell for leather by nearly all the car manufactures ?

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 09:10:42 am »
Actually Mazda autos are torque converters. The new Skyactiv drive autobox is an redesigned torque converter. Mazda did not want to go for CVT or DSG kind of systems as it wasn't good enough for them. Personally I think that the new torque converter from Mazda is good, but it just simply isn't sporty enough. Even when you kick it down it takes ages to do anything. The new Skyactiv engine isn't as good as the old MZR-CD. Even though it has two turbos it just simply lacking something. I suppose it has no soul. The new Mazdas do look good yes, but I think the Zoom-zoom is gone. Shame really...never thought I will trade my Skyactiv D for an TS2 petrol. But I did and it just pisses over the new Skyactiv....

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 11:49:40 am »
Sorry about that but i was told by my main dealer that it wasn't a torque converter as such when i enquired that the auto box felt different when going from forward to reverse and visa versa. I very rarely kick down tend to use the manual stick and flippers then i have control over the box especialy when overtaking, but off the line i think the auto box changes faster and i must admit i haven't lost out to much including BMs not the m series i'm not daft,
 mondeos and some hot hatches and for a big car it's quite a flyer on a par with my old v6 2.5 mondeo and my mazda 2.3 miller both autos but the goverment taxed me out of those by making the road tax FOUR times higher than what i pay now. I'm not sure but i think what your saying you have gone back in years to go faster, thats got to be the wrong way round hasn't it ?
I do prefer petrols even though i do between 12000 to 15000 miles a year i just wish mazda would put something in the UK market to fill the gap. If the goverment start taxing diesles to the hilt they may have to i'm fed up with keep seeing all the reports of manufatures producing performance models for japan europe australia andthe US but NOT the UK. Maybe one day.

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 01:29:17 pm »
From 2017 all car road tax will be £140 for the second year. Regardless what engine size or type of engine you have. If it is electric it will be free. My 2.0 TS2 is slower on paper than my Skyactiv was. But I am 100% sure that the 2.0 is faster to 60 mph.