Author Topic: 2L 121hp diesel chip tune  (Read 4191 times)

Offline IceManLT

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
2L 121hp diesel chip tune
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:20:44 am »
Hello so I'm debating if i should chip tune my mazda 6. They claim that it will raise the horsepower to 153hp  and the torque to 375Nm. Has anybody done any chip tuning to their first gen mazda's and did they have any problems?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: 2L 121hp diesel chip tune
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 10:55:16 am »
I have not done but the problems are well documented. Engine management is quite complicated and the manufacturers stay on the conservative side. A bespoke ad hoc solution from a tuner comes with a lot of unknowns.

They may follow a less conservative approach to management and skip the safe back stops, or they can go wild and falsify the input data in order to make the engine perform more. In both cases, sooner or later you will encounter problems.

In the first case, the management will not be able to react in well defined procedures and in the second case, you add too much stress to the engine for the gains you get back. Moreover, as you keep driving flat out, the wear will accelerate faster than driving an OEM car.

On top of that, you add extra stress to each component, from engine and gearbox mounts and suspension components, to the clutch, gearbox, EGR and DPF.

The biggest problem with the remaps is that by investing in upgrading the suspension components, brakes and tyres, you end up going faster while you are 100% legal.

Offline IceManLT

• S Class
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 04:11:53 pm »
Thanks for the answer. Maybe you know if the 121hp 2l diesel and 141hp mazda's actually have any different compotents? Or is the engine and the transmision the same as mine 121hp model?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 07:25:33 am »
If the 121ps is the pre facelift, then the 141ps has for sure DPF and new turbo.

Wikipedia says that there is different turbo, injection system, compression ratio, different operation of the EGR for NOx management, and O2 sensor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Diesel_engine#RF_2002_(2.0_MZR-CD)

But I am pretty sure that all these differences are mainly for reliability and law compliance. A tuner will get the hell out of either engines without changing anything other than adding extra fuel. I am not sure what will happen long term though.

As there is a good case yours is high mileage, it will benefit from cleaning the injection system, EGR, manifold intake, DPF and turbo from all the accummulated dirt.