Author Topic: Diesel Demonized  (Read 9213 times)

Offline Elwood

• TS Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
Diesel Demonized
« on: February 03, 2017, 04:17:26 pm »
Now that there's been so much bad press about diesel cars (although other forms of diesel transport aren't mentioned) what do you diesel owners think about keeping your cars? It seems that the government is determined to drive diesel cars off the road, in one way or another. A scrappage scheme has been hinted at, but I can't see it being very generous even if it comes about. For myself, I have a 10 year old Mazda 6 diesel which I like very much. I've had it for 6 years and it's served me very well. I've had no plans to replace it as it should give me another 5 years at least. Anyway, I can't afford to change it and I'm sure any scrappage scheme would only offer a pittance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/02/officials-drawing-plans-diesel-scrappage-scheme-cut-emission

Offline PA70

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2012
Re: Diesel Demonized
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 04:36:44 pm »
Unfortunately the establishment, of which the government and main stream media form a large proportion, is demonising everything in order to extract as much moneyfrom us as possible. This is to benefit the rich elite, rather than benefit public health.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 07:12:11 pm »
Article in the press recently on Diesel vehicles, seems H M G are said to be getting rid of Diesels and it is suggested replacing them with Petrol Hybrids. ! So if so will this  leads to increased costs/taxes on Diesel ?.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 01:22:21 pm »
With the 2013 Skyactive diesel Mazda supposedly met all emission criteria  (on the test that is).   But with the regen of the dpf  all that stored pollution is just pumped into the atmosphere.

Yet the diesel is still more fuel efficient  than a petrol.
Scrappage schemes , are they not just to keep various businesses profitable, using the enviromental card.
Scientists are still not convinced that this global warming  (bogey man) is man made but the earth going through one of its cycles.
Why during the Industrial revolution with all the dark satanic mills pumping out smoke the introduction of the cars later did we not have global warming ?
Now that we have no industry to  talk of, but have just moved the pollution to 3rd world countries, the UK changing away from diesel is not going to make any difference.
Then you have the Yanks with their huge automotive bedsteads  spewing petrol fumes out  to drive a mile, instead of walking. And Trump is going to be squashing any environmental initiatives.

We have not got a World war or a Cold war for the HMG  to use as the fear  tool to use to rule us, so the best thing is Environmental and global warming.
Yet they ban diesel in cars  but not for trucks. Perhaps they could put more freight on the railways and get more trucks off the road.

I do not see how hybrid cars are any better than straight petrol or even diesel cars.  The longest drive for battery power is perhaps   15 to 30 miles. Then you have to go back to petrol lugging dead batteries, heavy propulsion motors and extra large alternator about.
There are few places to charge the car up, it takes a while (ok if it charges up whilst you are at work) , if you give it the "quick charge" battery longevity will soon be reduced. The batteries are very expensive and buy ful? of nasty metals and liquids.
I saw in a museum of transport an electric car from late 1800 that had a range of 15 mile, so we have not come far  in 120 years despite all the fancy technology. When electric cars have a range of 500 miles at 70 mph without a charge then they will have arrived. But I think we are a long way from that point.
LPG seems a better alternative to electric, but they did not really catch on.
After 14 years my last diesel was getting quite expensive to tax.
At the moment the 6 is £20   compared to  say a £100 +  for a neighbours Nissan Cashcow  of the same year and smaller engine.

Like a lot of things these days the gvt sing the praises of something,  get you hooked, then stick it to you.   
They have very little family silver to flog off, but motorists are a cash cow to them and local authorities. Our local authority made £1.5 m last year just on car parks and parking fines and there is only one large  and two  small towns in the area. The rest is rural  and villages.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:42:23 pm »
The environment and its protection will keep us alive.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/06/diesel-cars-are-10-times-more-toxic-than-trucks-and-buses-data-shows

"It found that heavy-duty vehicles tested in Germany and Finland emitted about 210mg NOx per kilometre driven, less than half the 500mg/km pumped out by modern diesel cars that meet the highest “Euro 6” standard. However, the buses and trucks have larger engines and burn more diesel per kilometre, meaning that cars produce 10 times more NOx per litre of fuel."

Not a lot has been done to improve diesel cars but the technology exists. Sooner or later it will pass on cars as well. In between, we can all drive economically.

The continuous acceleration and braking that is the norm out there, together with the no use of brain to think ahead, is what is causing increased consumption and congestion. The government could educate the citizens since day one at school how to be better at everything but it is busy doing business.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 03:39:00 pm »
.................. together with the no use of brain to think ahead, is what is causing increased consumption and congestion.

Don't even get me started. I honestly often wonder how some drivers actually managed to pass their driving test as they are so unsafe and often a danger to other drivers. 

There are some prime candidates for the Darwin awards around here . 

Rant over .   :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 12:02:47 pm »
I wonder the same but I think that they pass the test because then they drove very carefully and slowly. Now they believe that they can do multitasking, changing lanes, blocking other drivers, answering calls, sending emails, eating a sandwich, all at the same time. The bad thing is that they do all that because they know that there is no law enforcement.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 03:58:01 pm »
The reason why trucks, buses and ships have lower emissions is because they use the Urea  injection, but Mazda chose not to go along  that route as they say:
A. If you spill it on the carpet it  bleaches it and leaves a white mark. (That's  just people being messy and impatient).
B. If you  do not fill the urea tank up it solidifies and everything needs replacing. (If you run out of oil the engine will seize up, that's why you check it along with topping up with fuel as this causes the engine to stop also).
A  designer cannot design for laziness and stupidity, but with all these extras they are fitting he is getting very close bless his cotton socks.
How can you enjoy driving an electric driverless  car, you might as well call a taxi or use a bus.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire