Author Topic: i-eloop and stop-start not working  (Read 10904 times)

Offline Stew_P

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
i-eloop and stop-start not working
« on: November 05, 2016, 05:09:57 pm »
Hi everyone, first time poster as I've just bought a 3-year old tourer from a car supermarket and I wouldn't mind picking some of your brains on here as to whether I have a problem that I ought to get them to sort out...

On the test drive the stop-start system seemed to work fine as far as I remember and I didn't discover the i-eloop display at this point. Since I took delivery however, for the first few days the i-eloop screen didn't show any power being stored or used - just a solid white line on the left hand side of the block. The stop-start didn't kick in either (45 minute runs, starting in town, then motorway). Then I left the interior light on one night (woops), the battery went flat and I had to have the RAC out to get me started again. The RAC man said the battery's health was very good and it was just me leaving the light on that had knocked it out of action. After 15 minutes or so of the engine running, I set off on my usual 45 minute journey to work... and for the first time the i-eloop system seemed to be working as it should, with the block 'charging up' when decelerating towards a roundabout and then giving up its power again as I pulled off. That evening too on the way back home it worked as it should and the stop-start kicked in where appropriate.

Since that day I've been back to square one however, with just a single solid white line on the left-hand side of the block, no charging-discharging being shown, and the stop-start never kicking in.

Does this sound faulty, or is this quite normal in everyone's experience? If not, is this the kind of thing a local garage might be able to sort out, or is the fact that this involves the i-eloop system mean I really ought to be going to a main dealer to get them to look at it?

Thanks in advance for any light you might be able to shed.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: i-eloop and stop-start not working
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 07:11:32 pm »
Hi well i would only use the main dealer. I don't think local garages are up to sorting the i-loop and i-stop out. I wouldn't be to sure that the car supermarket would have serviced up the the car properly either. Do you know that if you have the air directed at screen only the i-stop won't work i know this because i keep mine like that all the time as i don't like the delay of the i-stop. It sounds like something is wrong with either the battery or the charging of it. i might be wrong but i thought if you leave something electrical on without the engine running all the power cuts out after about 30 mins and i thought that would include the interior light. To stop you flattening the battery. Also the capaciter may need checking out if you have just bought it these faults should be under your warranty.
cheers steve  8)

Offline Stew_P

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 09:55:05 pm »
Hi well i would only use the main dealer. I don't think local garages are up to sorting the i-loop and i-stop out. I wouldn't be to sure that the car supermarket would have serviced up the the car properly either. Do you know that if you have the air directed at screen only the i-stop won't work i know this because i keep mine like that all the time as i don't like the delay of the i-stop. It sounds like something is wrong with either the battery or the charging of it. i might be wrong but i thought if you leave something electrical on without the engine running all the power cuts out after about 30 mins and i thought that would include the interior light. To stop you flattening the battery. Also the capaciter may need checking out if you have just bought it these faults should be under your warranty.
cheers steve  8)

Thanks very much Steve. I am now even more inclined to get the supermarket to let me take it to Mazda to get it checked out.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:24:57 am »
If you have trouble with I-stop very often there is a fault on the battery. Years ago we would have to leave sidelights on when parking the car on the road overnight and it did not affect the battery as long as it ead in good condition and fully charged. In those days we did not have alternators with a high charge rate but dc dynamos and they worked fine.
So I would see the dealer as Steve said.  I would also invest in a hydrometer to test the SG  of each battery cell as this will show up a dodgy cell.
These cars are renown for battery failure from new.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire