Author Topic: unusual knock  (Read 6567 times)

Offline tony blue

• S Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2009
unusual knock
« on: May 11, 2012, 02:27:06 pm »
Has anyone had a knock from the drivers side front end when going over bumps but only when going uphill or accelerating,not present most of the time.Car has just passed its mot and sailed through with no comment,its a 2003 1.8 ts petrol.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Re: unusual knock
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:20:17 pm »
My 2002 2.0L auto used to make a noise from the front RH suspension, every time I went over a speed hump. I had it from new until I disposed of the car eight years later, so nothing to worry about in my case, just annoying.

Offline Stephen

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:54:56 pm »
sounds like it could be a failed anti roll bar link

Offline tony blue

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 11:42:32 am »
Thanks for comments,re anti roll bar link,there are no faults apparent everything checked out ok during mot 2 days ago.

Offline Martin6

• S Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:31:20 pm »
Hi Tony Blue
I had a 2002 model with a similar issue, after extensive research I found out this is a common problem on the Mazda 6 caused by a lack of grease on the splined collapsable section of the steering column but it feels just as if a ball joint is failing. It is really easy to check, if you reach down in the drivers footwell just above where the steering column goes through the floor you will come across a male and female spline if you get hold of the female section (steering wheel end) you may detect a little bit of sideways play, this is what causes your mystery knock. I gather Mazda sell some special grease to re-lubricate this with but I just used a smear of cv gease and it fixed it a treat. You need to disassemble the lower section of the steering column to do it properly which is a 2 minute job. With the front wheels set straight you can undo the pinch bolt that holds the lower end of steering column onto the steering rack just as it comes through the floor then the lower part of the column can be slid out of the upper part greased and re-assembled. However unless you feel confident about tackling a job involving the steering it may be safer to leave it to a garage even if you have to explain what to do.
Hope this helps
Martin

Offline tony blue

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:17:44 pm »
Thanks Martin,
I will try as you suggest,i saw another post somewhere that says undoing the adjusting clamp on the steering column and then moving it backwards and forwards a few times redistributes the grease already there, so that sounds easy to start with.Have to say though that the noise does sound to be outside the car rather than inside at the footwell.
Thanks Tony Blue.

Offline Martin6

• S Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:38:57 pm »
Hi Tony Blue
When I took my column apart it was almost completely devoid of grease, if you have undone the pinchbolt then be honest you may as well carry on as you are 90% of the way there anyway. Whilst it is always difficult to diagnose these sort of problems from a distance the symptoms you describe do sound very similar including passing a number of MOT's without comment.
I hope I am right, as it is a cheap and easy fix.
Cheers
M