Author Topic: Sticking front calliper mazda 6 2.0 Diesel 2008  (Read 10994 times)

Offline Thundercat

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2008
Sticking front calliper mazda 6 2.0 Diesel 2008
« on: June 24, 2012, 03:53:38 pm »
I might have the answer to this but want to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.
The sticking has been intermittent over the last 10 months of me owning the car but recently has become very severe to the point were the disc is glowing and smoking if driven at motorway speeds - needless to say I have not been using it of late.
I stripped the brake down last weekend and noticed that the lower guide pin was all gunked up with a slight rust type build up also so I ordered another but cleaned everything up and rebuilt using copper slip to lube.
This weekend I went to fit the new pin but had real trouble removing both of the pins as the copper slip seemed to be causing a vacuum rather than lubrication. This time for reassmbly I chose to use silicone spray instead but when trying to push the calliper back onto the upper guide pin the rubber bush at the end of the pin was sliding up the pin and out of its location. If this is happening when the pin is inside the calliper then i think this will cause it to lock which I think is the problem.
Next step is to replace the upper guide pin, after that will be the calliper itself.

Questions:

1 - Has anyone experienced anything similar?
2 - What is normally used to lubricate the guide pins?
3 - An other comments / suggestions?

Sorry for the lengthy post, ive just tried to cover off the history so far so that I don't keep replying to comments with "already tried that"

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any comments.

Offline metalmickey

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2005
Re: Sticking front calliper mazda 6 2.0 Diesel 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:22:49 pm »
I use copperslip with no problems,
As you comment, guide pins get rusty cause problems, calipier seals fail, plunger that moves unfixed pad can corrode.
Its a case of cleaning what you can and trying it out.
I had a guide plate move which ended up rubbing on the disc making a terrible noise, but once I took it off and repositioned it have had no problems 12 months later.

Offline Thundercat

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:22:28 pm »
Thanks metalmickey.

I was under the car again tonight and have removed the rubber sleeve from the guide pin and put it all back together again with as much copper slip as I could. On the test drive it initially seemed fine but after 10 mins is seemed to start sticking again as if the more use / heat it gets the worse it becomes. When I pulled up on the drive it was sticking slightly but nothing like the other day. I suppose i'll find out properly tomorrow on the run to work.

Something I think I missed from the original post is that the calliper piston boot is split so will need replacing, however it looks more melted than split which I put down to an affect rather than the cause of the sticking. I'm not sure I'm equipped to remove the calliper altogether so might have to bite the bullet and take it to the garage.

Offline slidey

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:29:08 pm »
Copper slip can damage rubber seals, it makes them swell up and go loose letting water into the guide pins. Your better of using rubber grease, as a side note this is also recommended in the Mazda workshop manual.
Last ime in did my front brakes i could'nt get a smooth action and the pads were'nt moving freely on the guide plates, i removed those and found them rusty and full of crud, after a good clean the pads now move freely.
Have you checked to see the caliper piston moves ok and is'nt sticking?
Do not over pack the caliper pin slider,you just need a thin smear on the guide pin, as you've already found out it can cause the caliper to lock or stick.

Dave

Offline Thundercat

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 06:37:25 pm »
Thanks Dave (slidey)

This issue has now been taken out of my hands. I drove to work on Tuesday and whilst on the motorway a humming noise developed and got louder and louder even though no braking had taken place, Fortunately I was very close to my exit. The brake had seized on again and was smoking heavily. I waited 10 mins and it freed off again completely so I drove to work and got it into a local garage. Diagnosis was knackered calliper, also discs and pads which I needed anyway.
I've not done enough mileage yet to know if it is completely fixed but so far so good, there is a slight dragging when coming to a rolling stop but I'm unsure if this more than what is considered normal.

Either way its now the garages responsibility which gives me some relief.

BTW I asked a mechanic in my local Mazda dealership what they use to lubricate the guide pins and the response was "copper slip". I had read somewhere else about rubber grease but none of my local motor factors stocked it or knew of it, my next stop was probably going to be Ann Summers :)

Hopefully my issue is resolved and if not I hope this post will provide a good reference for anyone with a similar issue in the future.

Offline slidey

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 10:07:06 am »
A humming noise could indicate a wheel bearing is starting to fail, just hope the garage have checked it......you brakes should'nt drag once fixed, maybe the new pads are a little tight, but if the brakes are still doing it after 100 or so miles i would looking further.
For rubber grease try ebay, link to one tin below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18g-Castrol-Red-Rubber-Grease-Brake-Caliper-Fluid-Handy-MINI-TIN-/130679593752?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1e6d1c5b18

or you can just type in "red rubber grease" for the full listings.

Dave

Offline MonkeySpanner

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 07:55:45 pm »
Completely agree with Slidey. After having similar problems with calipers in the past red rubber grease is all I will ever use.
Much like yourself I had the calipers out and in a few times before I got to the root of the problem which was that the Copper grease would get very thick and clumpy preventing the calipers from sliding on the pins because its not a high temperature grease like rubber grease which fixed the problem. It was from the Mazda manual which recommends rubber grease that put me in the right direction so I would have second thoughts on bringing my car it to any Mazda dealer who recommends using copper grease on the pins as it will cause problems further down the road.