Author Topic: Trade in price.  (Read 5727 times)

Offline beezageoff

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
Trade in price.
« on: October 02, 2018, 04:18:00 pm »
I'm thinking of trading my Mazda 6 TS 2lt (November 2008) as its now 10 years old, but has only done around 73k miles. I have my eye on a newer Mazda at my local dealer (2nd hand) for around £17k. Any idea what he might offer me in part exchange? My car is in a first rate condition with full dealer service record. If I have an idea, I could argue the toss.
I'll be a little sad to lose the old 6 as its the best car Ive ever owned, but I cant live in the past!! :'(
Thanks.

Offline chris o

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Trade in price.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:27:21 pm »
The Parkers online valuation tool will give you an accurate trade in price. You just put in the registration and mileage and it will give dealer sale price, private sale price and trade in price. It's useful to have this information to hand to inform your negotiations.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Trade in price.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 09:01:19 am »
If you sell the car to the dealer, you will only get back what they will think they can profit by selling it at the auction after deducting all fees, preparation, transport, etc. In other words, you will get very little.

If you try to sell it privately, you will get much more money but you will have to work for that extra. You may need to clean the car, take photos, show it to buyers, test drive, negotiate, etc.

I tried the Parkers but it requires registration.

I had bought mine from Arnold Clark and at some point they introduced an online tool which does not need registration:

https://www.arnoldclark.com/sell

You still need your registration and mileage.

Also try Cazana:

https://cazana.com/uk

At the top right of the screen there is a search bar. You enter your registration there to get the result. Or change the URL to be:

https://cazana.com/uk/car/YOURREGISTRATIONGOESHERE

Mine is a 1/2009 car and the dealer tool returns £750 and the independent tool £2200. I think these are two extremes and the real value could be somewhere in between.

In any case, your car is low mileage and it can easily do some good years with the pace without any major repairs. You may want to consider holding to it until the shift to new technologies is completed. Paying now over £16K for a used car which is unknown whether it will be free to use everywhere tomorrow, is a bit of a risk. 2019 is the year that all manufacturer will introduce new technology cars mainly electric or some sort of electric combination. Then all prices will be adjusted to zero for older cars. Your £17K could quickly diminish.

If you really want a change, a rental type finance deal may be better for you but in every case, holding to the old car is the most value for money option. If you do not have £17K cash now, you could save the proposed monthly instalments and when time comes, you will be in a better position to get a better deal. The less than £1K you will get on the old car, will not zero even if you try to sell it in a few years times as a car being in your condition, could easily go around the £500 mark and sell quickly.