Author Topic: Discussions about DPF  (Read 166510 times)

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Discussions about DPF
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:10:37 am »
Please use this area to discuss any issues with the DPF system in your car.

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Stilje

• TS Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2008
Re: Discussions about DPF
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:40:28 pm »
It should be possible to start a complete regeneration and clear the warning light simply by driving for 10 minutes or so at speeds greater than 40mph.

Can I ask to which engine this refers? I have done much reading on the DPF system and from what I can gather the engine revs have to be over 2000rpm as well as the speed of more than 40mph for the regeneration to occur.

This is what I can remember from the previous forum and others about that refers to my '08 facelift 2.0L Diesel sport.

My cars journey to and from work 5 days a week consists 20 miles on a motorway and then about 5 miles of stop start rush hour traffic so on the motorway runs I ensure the revs are above 2000rpm for as much of the journey as possible before I hit the city traffic.
It had an oil change at a Mazda dealership 2 weeks ago and so far the oil level is holding steady. Let's hope it stays that way!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:44:10 pm by Stilje »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:28:43 pm »
As stated, the post was brought across from Mazda3forums as this site had lost all previous information. The original article came from the AA website so is pretty generic.
However the principles behind DPF regeneration will be broadly the same for the Mazda6.
For more detailed information I suggest to everyone that a read through your handbook would supply more accurate information.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Rob

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Celestial Blue Mica (38J) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:43:14 am »
I have just recently had the car serviced, the dpf starting flashing after 11200 miles so i knew it would be the oil/diesel % mix reaching the limit, so even with 10000mile motorway driving @ 2000 revs + i wonder can anybody actuallly do the full 12500miles before the oil needs changing? Also at no point during that 11200mile did the dpf light come on, does that mean that my car was always in passive regeneration? The oil level was 12mm from the dreaded X mark, taken on flat ground

Offline Tareim

• S Class
  • Colour: Canary Yellow (25C) Metallic
  • Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:03:21 pm »
I can't find any info on DPF warning lights in my manual, there is a sedimentor warning light on there, is that the light for DPF's?

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:42:10 pm »
just flicked through the manual today, and its over 2k revs and over 25mph (40kph) where it will clean on its own.

Offline Hybrid

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:42:43 pm »
I can't find any info on DPF warning lights in my manual, there is a sedimentor warning light on there, is that the light for DPF's?
Diesels built  before 2005 dont have a dpf.

Offline Tareim

• S Class
  • Colour: Canary Yellow (25C) Metallic
  • Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 01:42:20 pm »
ah thank you hybrid, this is my first diesel car and seen so much about DPFs causing issues, didn't think to check when they were first introduced

Offline AlanDH

• S Class
  • Colour: Phantom Blue Mica (32C) Metallic
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 01:26:16 pm »
HI all

Re the DPF warning coming on after 11,200 miles. I understand the light is also used as a service indicator and has to be reset when the oil is changed otherwise the ICU thinks the oil hasn't been changed and tells you so. I had my 6TS serviced at a local independand garage and this happened 1100 miles after the service. The garage claimed they knew nothing about resetting the service indicator which isn't included in the open service software they have. It cost me another £200 for a second oil change and a reset at the main agents, whom I don't like due to their patronising attitude. It seems that only Mazda agents have access to this particular bit of kit. If true it sounds very like protectionism at our expense.

Offline Rob

• TS2 Class
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »
Re the DPF warning coming on after 11,200 miles. I understand the light is also used as a service indicator and has to be reset when the oil is changed otherwise the ICU thinks the oil hasn't been changed and tells you so. I had my 6TS serviced at a local independand garage and this happened 1100 miles after the service. The garage claimed they knew nothing about resetting the service indicator which isn't included in the open service software they have. It cost me another £200 for a second oil change and a reset at the main agents, whom I don't like due to their patronising attitude. It seems that only Mazda agents have access to this particular bit of kit. If true it sounds very like protectionism at our expense.

Thats what i thought it might have been originally but dealer told me the the level / % of diesel mixed into the oil was the reason it came on ( flashing ), so does anyone know anything about this sensor? I used to change the oil every 6000 miles on the old cars that i had, but i agree having to reset ecu or is it icu, after oil change is just another way of stopping the average man looking after his motor cheaply i cant believe what they charge for just a oil change nowdays, maybe its just me. Anyway managed 48mpg after the service so pretty happy with that

Offline gor131-x

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 11:01:04 pm »
Hi Guys

Im new on here and i have posted a thread on here about me in the process off buying a 2008 mazda 6 2.0d sport,always bought VAg so im completely blind about Mazda's but ive fallen in love with this one and i am terrified about this dpf thing as the one im buying has a solid amber light!!!!

Im thinking of getting the DPF removed and get it done by a company called Sinspeed, anyone heard of them and has anybody had the DPF removed?

Pros and Cons?

Thank You

Offline rogershirley

• S Class
  • Colour: Galaxy Grey (32S) Metallic
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 08:59:32 pm »
I just wondered how many people still have trouble with rising oil levels, I have owned my 6 for about 9 months done about 11000 miles mixed driving but most on dual carriageways and motorways, twice a week I drive at 70 mph in 4th gear for ten minutes or more,still got rising oil levels, anyone give me an idea what else might be causing this?
     Thanks in advance.

Offline Rob

• TS2 Class
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 09:08:55 am »
I just wondered how many people still have trouble with rising oil levels, I have owned my 6 for about 9 months done about 11000 miles mixed driving but most on dual carriageways and motorways, twice a week I drive at 70 mph in 4th gear for ten minutes or more,still got rising oil levels, anyone give me an idea what else might be causing this?
     Thanks in advance.

You have the same model as me and i far as i led to believe due to design of DPF system for 2.0 ltr model ( closed loop for 2.2 engine ) you will always get a oil level increase over time no matter how you drive, basically its a by-product of the regen process, weather passive or forced. If anybody disagrees please let me know and i will gracefully be corrected. I did 10000 motorway miles @ 2000 rev+ in last 12 months and after 11200 miles the level was about 1cm below X.

Offline PieEater

• S Class
  • Colour: Phantom Blue Mica (32C) Metallic
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 08:43:17 pm »
My car is currently at the dealers for them to do a regen and relearn.  £150.  Just 2.5k shy of it's next service (87500 service)  DPF light started flashing last week but went off and stayed off all week.  Started flashing again so got it booked in.  Just for reference, 80% of my driving is motorways.

I bought the car from main dealer with extensive warranty but have been told that this wouldn't be covered.  Didn't think regens would be covered but if the dpf needs replacing, it's £1500.  How is it my aircon is covered (which they fixed ) but not something that makes my car work?

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 09:55:19 pm »
but not something that makes my car work?

The DPF tends to be a component which stops cars working! There seems to have been a major design flaw in the 2.0 DPF fitted engines, hence the introduction of the 2.2D. This is an improvement but is still not suited to short runs and low mileages although so far I have to say that my car (59 plate TS2) has been faultless and a great drive. I'm only doing 9k per year at the moment but it does include a decent blast down dual carriageways at least once a week.