Author Topic: Brake caliper pin seal  (Read 5756 times)

Offline romiadam

• S Class
  • Colour: Sparkling Silver (24E) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Brake caliper pin seal
« on: May 13, 2016, 08:33:10 pm »
Hi,
1. Anyone knows what is the seal for on brake caliper pin (red circle on the picture)?

2. It should seal the air in the bushing or let the air off from the bushing? The seal seems to me is swelled up but it might be ok, I do not know. When I put a little grease on the pin, the pin is pushes out by the locked air up to 50%. Is it OK?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:25:57 pm by Willpower »

Offline kowalski

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Re: Brake caliper pin seal
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 09:53:24 pm »
They're not a seal as such, more of a vibration damper. If they swell they will become tight and the calliper won't float as well as it should which can make your brakes judder.

Those rubbers swell as a result of using the wrong lubricant on the pins. They should either be lubricated with a red rubber grease (which is castor oil based) or a silicone grease, neither of which should make them swell.

Offline slavikost

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
Re: Brake caliper pin seal
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 02:12:52 pm »
Last summer I have changed all my brake disks and the brake pads.One of the calipers was seized.The problem was exactly the same rubber seal from the above photo.It took me at least half an hour to remove the seized bolt.After installing the new disk I have just used the bolt without the rubber seal.5000-6000 miles later and everything is perfect,no juddering,vibrations, or uneven brake pads usage.