Author Topic: Mazda 6 - 2012 - noise from 2nd to 3rd and hot spots on brakes?  (Read 5417 times)

Offline Adventures

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2012
I just bought a Mazda 6 from a big independent dealer. On my way home, noticed that it would sometimes make a noise from going from 2nd to 3rd gear. When going from 2nd, I have to pause a fraction of a second and then put into third gear. It is frustrating to drive like that. The car has done about 18k miles. Other then that, the car did drive well.

I took the car back  and I was told they have to order a "clutch kit, release bearing and gearbox".

I don't know the significance of the repairs, especially on a car, which has done 18k (it did have two Mazda services, to confirm the mileage).

I have never owned a car, where a gearbox had to be changed, let alone a clutch! My old Jap car is about 13 years old! I am concerned about Mazda brand....

Should I ask the dealership for a refund?. I am concerned the car, will not be as good, if it has been repaired... I don't know if I have bought a lemon.

I was going to buy the Mazda warranty, but as car dealers is fitting 'manufacturer approved parts', (not the same as buying Mazda parts).  Am I better off getting warranty from say Warranty direct?. In case, there are issue, Mazda may claim repairs were not done by a Mazda dealership.

They tell me they are still waiting for parts from their suppliers.

Also, the brakes were bit spongy and braking distance were much longer. Similar to when new brakes are fitted.  On a visual inspection, all 4 brakes had what I can only describe as 'hot spots', rather then being silver metal colour, they are areas where the metal was brown colour. All 4 brakes had the same issue, even the ones at the back.   When I sent the photo, the car dealer claimed it was rust. The brakes do work, if I press right down hard, in my experience most cars only need a gentle touch of the brake to slow it down.  I just feel if I need to do an emergency stop, the car will have nothing to give me.

Any advice on my situation?

I have two question. I like the car, but are the problem so serious, I

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Re: Mazda 6 - 2012 - noise from 2nd to 3rd and hot spots on brakes?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 02:39:28 pm »
If you are in any doubt about the car, try to return it to the dealer and get your money back. There should be absolutely nothing wrong with a car that has only done only 18,000 miles. It's may be why the previous owner got shot. Why don't you contact him/her?

Offline Adventures

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:31:35 pm »
I did ring up the previous owners, after I had put down a deposit. They said I got a great car.

He seemed peeved  he only got £6,000 as a trade-in at Audi, he told me they had another child and wanted something bigger and got a Q7 Audi.  The Audi dealer put into the auction.... 

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »
Have you checked the hydraullic fluid reservoir?
To test the clutch put the hand brake on the try an pull away, you should stall the car.
Later 2.2d models had a problem with a pad shape appearing on the discs, the cause was incorrect pad material. They would skim the discs in situ  and fit new pads. This poor as you are loosing disc material. This may not be the problem on the earlier  models, but something to bear in mind.
Your clutch realease bearing should not have gone so soon and would still be under warranty and Mazda parts should be fitted  at no cost to you.
One does wonder how the car has been driven by the previous owner ( he will say anything once he has got rid of it).
For complete piece of mind I would ask for my money back and if they are a bit awkward approach  Trading Standards for advice, contacting them in writing or by email, so you have written proof of an answer. Telephone is no good.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire