Author Topic: Mazda Air Bag Recall  (Read 36542 times)

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Mazda Air Bag Recall
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:33:31 am »
Mazda Air Bag Recall

This morning I have contacted my main Mazda dealer regarding the news this morning stating that Japanese car manufacturers (Toyota, Honda & Mazda) are recalling cars for a possible Air bag fault.

Whilst Toyota and Honda seem to be badly affected, there is only a total of 45,000 Mazda cars worldwide that are suspect.
The information I received tells me that Mazda will be contacting owners if their car is amongst these. The dealer had no indication at the time what models were affected but I have asked them to contact me when the relevant information is available so that I might pass it on to you.

If you are seriously worried then I would suggest that you contact your dealer for further information should they have it.

I shall keep this thread up to date as and when I receive further clarification.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Little John

• Sport Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2010
Re: Mazda Air Bag Recall
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:58:49 am »
Reports on Whatcar and Autoexpress would seem to indicate that the number of affected Mazda's is only about 2000 in this country, sold between 2000 and 2004.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 01:01:06 pm »
I am waiting to find out exactly which models are affected.   Be it  2's 3's or 6's   

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:55:18 pm »
The Press are indicating 1913  Mazda 6's bought in UK between 2002 and 2003.!

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:19:23 pm »
The latest 14:15  12/April/ 2013  from my dealership is it only affects Mazda 6 models from 2002-2006
Mazda will be sending out letters to all owners of these cars, but of course with the age factor, it is quite possible that the car will have been sold on by now.
I asked if in that case Mazda will be going through DVLA to inform current owners, but I was not able to get verification of this.

Therefore it is my suggestion that if you do have a Mazda 6 manufactured within these years, that you contact your dealership to ascertain if your car needs attention.

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 08:33:51 am »
Comment on this weeks BBC programme "Watchdog" made reference to a recall for Mazda 6's for passenger airbags. Seems to replicate the details mentioned here - but seems a bit "after the event" looking at the date on these posts.

Offline pierreone

• S Class
  • Colour: Dolphin Gray Mica (39T)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 03:39:40 pm »
Hi,

First time poster here, so hello everyone. I have a 2006 Mazda 6 and I received a letter from DVLA that there's a recall for my car. I booked an appointment with the local dealership, and I took it there today. But before I left home, I marked the airbags with a permanent marker, just to make sure they're doing their job (and to make sure it will deploy properly if ever needed). On the passenger side I can see that the mark is gone, but on the driver side it's still there. Is the middle of the steering wheel just a cover, and the airbag is behind it, or they're trying to trick me?
Also, when I first checked in at the service reception I had to sign the paperwork, but they never gave me a copy of it. Should I have gotten one?

Thanks

Have a nice day everyone

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 08:27:19 am »
You can ask them what that recall was about, what they replaced, etc.

There are so many parts to replace for the airbags system, e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Replacement-Air-Bag-Buying-Guide-/10000000177633575/g.html

If the problem with the passenger airbag was the plastic cap, then that is what they did. But maybe the driver side had another problem. If you find ads selling steering wheels, you will notice the airbag replacement part that does not change anything in the steering wheel.

As you took the car to Mazda, I expect that they did not skip anything. At the end of the day, I think the recall would state what they had to replace, e.g. parts A, B and C. If they want to make the full bill, they should replace these. I do not know what to do if you do not trust them that they replaced what they had to replace. Even if they show you some old parts, it is all down to trust. Overall, I think your car now is in safer condition than before the recall.

Offline chris o

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 07:23:36 am »
Well, I received an airbag recall letter last week on my 2004 Mazda 6. Mazda don't seem to be moving very quickly on this. I have recently traded in my 2004 Mazda 6 for a newer version so all I could do was notify Mazda that I'm no longer the owner.

Offline TigerVlad84

• S Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 01:15:59 pm »
New member here, I got a letter from Mazda UK that my car is subject to the Takata airbag recall, i have a 59 plate SL model so there you go, wonder how long it will take them to call me to fix it...the car is 10 years old this year

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 03:38:31 pm »
I think the letter is their call.

Does it give any details?

Offline TigerVlad84

• S Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 03:54:11 pm »
I think the letter is their call.

Does it give any details?
Yes the letter is informing me the car is recalled for a passenger airbag replacement, the Takata recall as I mentioned. Already spoke at my local dealer and they will let me know when I can bring it in...I would like to know when the recall started in the UK, if any of other owners received letters. It started years ago in the US for example, and, as I said, the car is 10 years old, I've owned it since 2013, luckily I wasn't involved in any incidents to see if I'm one of the unlucky ones that has a defective one. Done some research online and even if the car is subject of the recall, there's like 2% chance it has a defective passenger airbag, not that bothered. But the recall letter has an attachement from the DVLA saying if I don't fix it, it's illegal to drive a defective vehicle subject to a safety recall like this, insurance could be void etc.. like that's my problem, it's down to Mazda UK to fix it ASAP and no word from them yet...

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 11:43:40 am »
I have a 1/2009 car and I have not received anything. But then how can they guarantee that is not lost in the post?

It does not matter how old the car is. If they find a problem, then because of the law, they have to do something. The old the car, the less cars will have to fix anyway.

I see your point from the legal perspective. I read an article recently that without the recall work, it should be an MOT fail.

My car has the recall for the rear hatch door but I never received any letter for that. I found about that on the DVLA website but I have not done anything about it.

As you have the letter that explicitly states this legal loop, you should ask the dealer to give you a letter that you have received the recall notification and after contacting them, you are on a waiting list for the fix and you have done everything possible to fix the car.

If you live in a area with more dealers, try to contact all of them and compare their answers.

Here it says that the MOT fail is guarantee:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/faults-with-vehicles-parts-and-accessories

I will need to pull out the VIN and start checking all the recalls because the DVSA has a list of recalls including the airbag but the launch date are earlier. This may mean that went from the older car to the newer one. It has production dates from 1/4/2006 up to 29/1/2010.