Author Topic: DPF removal, EGR delete and remap....AVON TUNING..  (Read 26484 times)

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: DPF removal, EGR delete and remap....AVON TUNING..
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 01:30:00 pm »
I really don't want to labour a point, but the tightening up of laws was the reason that manufacturers were forced into fitting DPF's in the first place.     I agree there are still older diesel engines chucking out contamination, but they had to start the process of cleaning up the circumstances somewhere.

I'd rather have a car perform properly than be lugged with constant DPF problems

Sadly, this seems to be a typical statement. The car WAS performing properly and cleanly, as designed. If you wish to take the "not in my backyard" stance, then perhaps a non diesel car with a different set of performance criteria, would have been a better choice for you.

I'm sorry but in my view, by taking the actions you have, you are just flouting all the hard work and design effort that has been undertaken to try and improve the situation overall.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:10:45 pm by Willpower »
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Gizzy92

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 02:04:20 pm »
I agree that they had to tighten up laws and start cleaning somewhere but it would have benefited both parties if they researched on the installation of dpfs in cars.

The dpf was introduced for bigger vehicles and some bright spark decided they should be in cars as of 2009,  but before they decided this they rushed it and didn't see the problems that would have risen by school/shop runs and that's where they lying salesmen come in.

The car wasn't performing properly even with the recommended mileage of the car to perform a regeneration.

A car company should never ever had released a car that dumps the unused fuel in to the oil sump on a failed regeneration, most drivers who get in and drive won't have a clue of these problems especially with the "great"  deal of knowledge our car salesmen give us, I wouldn't feel safe if my mum or wife was driving a car riddled with these problems.

And yes before you say it,  I should have researched -  but hey ho I liked the car,  and I didn't so I've sorted the problem out. To the best I can

I don't know what hard work and design you have seen in the dpf mazda have installed on these cars but I certainly don't and neither do many other people who have been mis-sold a car that doesn't perform properly

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 02:17:33 pm »
I agree with many aspects of what you say, including the ineptitude of the salesmen when it comes to imparting relevant information to prospective buyers. But we all know that this will continue to be the case all the time that there are "targets" to be met.

There is a lot of truth in the old saying "Buyer Beware"

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 09:11:07 pm »
All the signs are that the MOTs will be tightened up in future to check for the presence of DPS that should be there and aren't so a lot of people will be faced with having non roadworthy cars.

The DPFs are certainly an engineering bodge but manufacturers will cut costs wherever they can such as not providing spare wheels (or even the option for full sized ones), paint that is thinner than it should be and cutting back on quality control as evidenced by the timing chain stretches and faulty camshafts.

Personally I don't think salesmen know anything like as much about the cars they sell as they should do and an enthusiastic buyer who has done their homework will know a lot more, especially if they have checked out owner's internet forums but I suspect that most buyers are actually not very well informed on technical issues.

Offline chadders

• S Class
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 08:09:06 pm »
and besides you still get those particles with a dpf just in one big blow out on the motorway. :)

Not true. If a regeneration is done correctly it involves burning the soot to gas at a very high temperature, leaving behind only a very small residue.

PM (Particulate Matter)  is made up of a complex mixture of solid and liquid particles, including carbon,complex organic chemicals, sulphate, nitrates, ammonium, sodium chloride,
mineral dust, water and a series of metals, which is suspended in the air. PM10 refers to particles with a diameter smaller than 10?m and PM2.5 to particles with a diameter smaller than 2.5?m.

After a full regeneration the PM emitted falls below the PM2.5 category.

Air pollution causes an estimated 29,000 early deaths in the UK, and has annual health costs of roughly £15 billion.
The health effects of PM are more significant than those of other air pollutants. Chronic exposure contributes to the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases and lung cancer. Current evidence suggests that there is no “safe” limit for exposure to fine particulate matter.
Not to mention it's killing Polar bears and no bacon gives you cancer  :-[

Offline Clyde5

• S Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 05:48:13 pm »
Just out of interest bud how much did it cost?

Offline biggles

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 03:33:11 pm »
Car was done over a week ago now, no problems whatsoever!

I'd rather have a car perform properly than be lugged with constant DPF problems and before people comment i do 50 miles a day (motorway)

it is a visual thing for MOT's and with regards to the revving and soot production...there is none :)

power delivery is much better, smoother through the gears, torque figures are great!

And best of all MPG is gone from 42MPG around town to 55MPG

and 52MPG motorway to 65MPG

Thanks guys  :D :D :D :D ;)

Any long term feedback on this mod?

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 04:25:34 pm »
Car was done over a week ago now, no problems whatsoever!

I'd rather have a car perform properly than be lugged with constant DPF problems and before people comment i do 50 miles a day (motorway)

it is a visual thing for MOT's and with regards to the revving and soot production...there is none :)

power delivery is much better, smoother through the gears, torque figures are great!

And best of all MPG is gone from 42MPG around town to 55MPG

and 52MPG motorway to 65MPG

Thanks guys  :D :D :D :D ;)

Any long term feedback on this mod?

Regrettably it seems that the OP has not been on the forum since October 2015. So it seems unlikely that there will be any follow up. :(

Offline Englishengineer

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 05:34:32 pm »
I have read this post with interest. My 6.diesel which I have had from new now has 172000 miles on it. Every long run at about over 400 miles since last Regen, but 62 miles from cold goes into limpvhome mode. Fault code is dpf blocked, 2042. After 1 year I still have not found a solution. New egr, new pressure switch, 3 visits to Mazda. What a job to get this fixed.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2018, 09:12:18 am »
I do not think that the DPF last for ever. Mazda mentions that the car has a catalytic converter. So in that sense, there are substances that take part in the process. These will ran out at some point.

Your problems seems to be very easy to be fixes. I am not sure why you would need a new EGR and pressure switch. If you replace the blocked DPF, then the problem should go away.

There are people who remove it, and pressure wash it. They claim that there is an improvement. Others say that you must cook it to very high temperatures. Try to pressure wash it and check how that goes.

Here is a link of some information:

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/technical/the-diesel-particulate-filter-dpf-faq