Author Topic: 2008 Mazda 6 Remote Locking Issue  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Rayo51

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
2008 Mazda 6 Remote Locking Issue
« on: March 19, 2019, 10:43:25 am »
Hi guys
I'm looking for a little help on an issue that's driving me mad. I thought I'd try here before taking it to a garage to get it looked at.
So, my remote central locking worked absolutely fine, and then all of a sudden stopped working. I assumed it was the battery and changed it, but since then it hasn't worked. I've tried reprogramming, which I'm definitely doing right as the central locking responds; however, when it comes to the point where you press the button on the key fob, nothing happens. I've tried using both keys I have for the car and it's the same with both. I can therefore only guess that the issue is relating to either a fuse (which I can't seem to locate) or an issue with the receiver which, again, I can't locate.
Can anyone give me any help at all on this as it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
Re: 2008 Mazda 6 Remote Locking Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:32:36 pm »
Did you try using the second key once the first key stopped working or did you go straight into programming?

If both keys have new batteries and you have done the programming procedure right, do the locks work manually?

If you say that the car responds to the programming procedure, then the fuses should be OK. You could try to remove them one by one and check them invidually as there is no specific fuse for the locks only but then if that was the problem, the programming procedure would not work.

Offline Rayo51

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 12:37:00 pm »
Thanks for your reply.
I tried the second key after a few attempts with the first key didn't work. I only had one battery at the time so I just swapped the new battery from key 1 into key 2 to see if it worked, which it didn't.
What I mean when I say the fuse is, is there a fuse for the remote receiver that may not be working? The central locking works fine with the key, so there's nothing wrong with the central locking itself. It just seems like it's something to do with the receiver to me.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 10:22:06 am »
My key also stopped working. I had to open the door manually, which activated the alarm, but the car started and all was fine. When I returned home, I tried the second key and since then I am using that one. After reading the stories about strange things happening with the batteries, I have not tried to remove the battery of the good working key. I have not even replaced the bad battery key. I just wait for both keys to stop working before trying anything.

As I said before, there seem to be no special fuse for the locks, at least in my manual. But if you think that this is the problem, you could remove all of them one by one and find out whether a fuse that does many tasks has gone.

As the central locking works with the key, I think the problem is the key battery and programming. I am not sure whether a key loses its programming if it runs out of battery. I could end up in this problem at some point. If that is the case, then by removing the battery from the good key, you may have lost its programming. If that theory is right, you then have no keys programmed. But if you think about it, the programming is more likely to be about the immobiliser and not the remote locking. And I do not think that the receiver is not working as well but I am not sure what you have to do to fix the keys.

Offline Rayo51

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 11:10:08 am »
Ok so now I've tried both keys, each with a different battery. I've gone through the programming process with both keys and when it comes to pressing the button twice on the key fob, nothing happens. I've removed every fuse in both fuse boxes to check for a blown fuse, and they are all fine. I'm absolutely baffled with this!

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:07:23 am »
OK something happens and at the last step the programming does not complete.

Have you tried to try to fit the working key with the trusted working battery and check whether that will make it work again?

If both keys have brand new trusted batteries then you may need to try a bit more with the programming. Some times these things do not work first time.

Offline Rayo51

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:14:51 am »
I've tried all combinations. I've tried the new key with the new battery, new key with old battery, old key with new battery and so on. As you can imagine it's driving me mad! Is there any possibility it's the receiver? I just can't think what else it could be. I've tried the programming at least 20 times on different occasions as well. The neighbours must think I've lost the plot opening the closing the car door constantly.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 03:35:17 pm »
I do not think it is the receiver.

I do not think the keys lose their programming after the battery runs down but I can be wrong.

For example, if you disconnect the main battery, the car loses out on things like the trip computer or the auto open/close windows, but keeps the total odo, etc.

I think something happened when you tried to program the keys.

Maybe when you start the programming process, all keys lose their programming, if they had it and they start again.

If this is the case, you may not had a key programmed and so you ran out of keys programmed.

I thought if a key can start the car, then it is programmed as the immobiliser recognises it but I may be wrong.

Maybe you should give a rest and go back to it after some reading.

There are online discussions about using the testing facility to program the keys.

You can find this via a secret menu once you hold the trip computer odo and turn the ignition without starting the car.

You then do a lot of witchcraft again like pressing pedals, etc, and hope for the best.