Author Topic: Bose sound system problems.  (Read 17142 times)

Offline Millster

• S Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Bose sound system problems.
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:49:36 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on this for me.

Basically a few months ago our Bose sound system stopped working completely, we checked all the usual things, connections, fuses and so on and all seemed to be fine and we even changed the fuse just to be sure.

We then found out that it may be the amp that sits under the passenger seat, so we removed this and left it out the car for a few weeks while we were looking for a replacement to which we had no luck at all.
We put the old amplifier back in the car and it started to work again straight after plugging it back in.

Now, this has all happened again, no sound, the head unit seems to work as it should, all displays work and appear to function normally, volume up and down etc.

We did try to remove the amp and put it back but with no luck this time.

We have searched eBay and local scrap yards for a replacement amplifier but have had no luck.

We have also contacted Mazda who said they will "look" at the car at a cost of ?45 an hour to source the problem and as far as we are aware it does appear to be the amplifier, so we spoke the parts department and we were told that a new amplifier is a little over ?700!

Has anyone else had these problems with the Bose sound system and if so, how were they rectified?

With the cost of ?700 would it be cheaper to fit an aftermarket head unit and components to replace the Bose  system completely?

Sorry for such a long post and we hope that someone can help.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:52:18 pm by Millster »

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
Re: Bose sound system problems.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »
I have not had this problem myself but I have seen reports of it. There is a separate relay for the Bose system somewhere in the fuse box (you would have to research exactly where) which seems to cause the problem as it is failing to close and therefore not sending power to the amp. I have read of one person who manually pushed the relay closed and another who removed it altogether. On both of these occasions the sound came back on. Hope this helps and enjoy the car

Offline Millster

• S Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 10:17:03 pm »
Thanks for the reply Saddler, we have had no luck unfortunately, we have tried to find the exact relay, looked at countless images of the fuse box for the Mazda 6 but as with all things in the Internet, everything gets scrambled and we end up with fuse box images for an older model, or from other countries so it's been difficult to pin point an image of our fuse box with the Bose marking.

Not sure what else to do, we will test all the relays tomorrow as we didn't have very much time today but failing that we are clueless on where to go from here.

Thanks for your help again and we will reply no matter what the outcome.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 07:24:55 am »
It may be a daft question, but have you checked whether there is a power supply to the amp?

Offline chri5miller

• S Class
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 11:15:18 pm »
Just to add to this .. I know it's a bit late - I had the same issues ... started with loud noises from amp and then nothing.
As usual the first place to look was eBay for a used one , however while trailing through endless listings and eventually purchasing the wrong unit (different plugs) - I found an ad for someone advertising a repair.
Dubious about this as nobody else does a repair - I phoned the company - after getting some very useful info and the promise that they could repair it and give a no quibble warranty , I took the plunge and sent it.

It arrived back via UPS and in good time (3 days) after they got it - plugged it in and it works flawlessly ... reliability - well this was 4 months ago and it's never skipped a beat.

In case anyone else has this issue , and looking at forums , I know it is - the crowd to deal with is www.boserepairexperts.eu .
Very helpful (advice on how to remove and instal ect.) - fast return , and a 1 Year warranty ...Cost was £159 , which is hundreds less than Mazda quoted me !

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Clearwater Blue (40B)
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 01:04:09 pm »
Just to add to this .. I know it's a bit late - I had the same issues ... started with loud noises from amp and then nothing.
As usual the first place to look was eBay for a used one , however while trailing through endless listings and eventually purchasing the wrong unit (different plugs) - I found an ad for someone advertising a repair.
Dubious about this as nobody else does a repair - I phoned the company - after getting some very useful info and the promise that they could repair it and give a no quibble warranty , I took the plunge and sent it.

It arrived back via UPS and in good time (3 days) after they got it - plugged it in and it works flawlessly ... reliability - well this was 4 months ago and it's never skipped a beat.

In case anyone else has this issue , and looking at forums , I know it is - the crowd to deal with is www.boserepairexperts.eu .
Very helpful (advice on how to remove and instal ect.) - fast return , and a 1 Year warranty ...Cost was £159 , which is hundreds less than Mazda quoted me !

Did you have a Bose upgrade? As according to your profile you drive a TS2 which I thought didn't have the Bose system.
Skoda Octavia vRS 230 DSG Hatch
Mazda 6 Hatchback TS2 2.0 Manual
Mazda 6 Tourer Sport 2.2 175 Auto
Mazda 3 Hatchback Sport 185 Manual
Ford Focus mkII Zetec 2.0 TDCi
Ford Focus mkI Zetec 1.8i