Author Topic: Selling my Mazda 6 but with faults-What's the best way?  (Read 14277 times)

Offline Lincoln

• S Class
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica (42A)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
Selling my Mazda 6 but with faults-What's the best way?
« on: May 22, 2022, 11:45:23 am »
Afternoon all,
Please forgive in advance my ignorance on all things cars.

So I bought my Mazda 6 2.2 Sport Nav (150) from new in 2015.

I drove it as a sales rep until I stopped working in 2020 and so it has 130000 miles on it.

I looked after it having 2 oil and filter changes every year.

But now I've moved into the centre of town, I'm retired and I just don't need a car so I've decided to sell it.

My problem is there's 2 warning lights that have come up on the dash, the engine management light and the DPF light.

I had a chemical clean on the DPF in March and initially this worked but now the lights are back on, the car drives just fine despite this. The mechanic said the engine has a fair bit of carbon in it probably due to me not driving it long distances anymore.

So I want to sell it....my question is would anyone buy a car with warning lights on it and if you think they would what's the best way to do it?

I've looked online at places like Autotrader and similar cars (with no faults) are selling for £4000-£5000.

I'd be happy with £3000 and was thinking about just putting it up on Facebook and being totally upfront about the warning lights ,I cannot lie when selling this car, its just not in my character, but I don't want any comeback.

Any advice chaps? can I sell it? if so what's the best way?

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
Re: Selling my Mazda 6 but with faults-What's the best way?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 10:52:18 pm »
Depends what the codes tell you. 2015 is still a 2013 build so you could have a blocked intake manifold or dodgy injectors  which are a known problem on certain cars. There is nothing wrong with the DPF even though it shows up as a dpf fault.
Befoer you sell it you really need to find out the problem as any lights will fail the MOT  andits not good to lie to somebody who is buying it. Take it to Mazda and get it fixed then you can sell it in good faith.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire