Author Topic: Folding mirror problem Jump to Latest  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Phil001

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Folding mirror problem Jump to Latest
« on: March 04, 2020, 09:04:26 am »
Morning all,

i have a 2010 Mazda 6 estate 2.5 sport in the uk.

Yesterday one of my folding mirror motors started running non-stop (whirring noise), I guess something has broken inside.

1 - Does anybody know which fuse is for the folding mirror motor? So i can temporarily pull it until i can fix the problem
the only one listed in the user manual ('power mirrors' or similar) only cuts the adjustment i think, not the folding motor.

2 - Are there any pictures or guides for stripping down the wing mirrors, showing the folding mechanism etc. I would imaging others have also had this issue

Many thanks in advance
Phil

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Folding mirror problem Jump to Latest
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 02:37:47 pm »
Yes somebody else posted about this some time ago. I do not have the manual in front of me, but there may be no other fuse to pull out. He ended up removing the actual motor of the mirror. It "worked".

Maybe you could try to clean up the folding switch just in case it is always on. But then you removed the fuse, the switch stopped working but the motor was still on. So I am not really sure what the cure is.

Offline Epic Earl

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 03:06:45 pm »
I had this with my mazda, I ended up popping the speaker off on the door and unplugging the cable to the motor.
yes the mirrors dont work anymore but no annoying electric motor running continuously

Offline Phil001

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.5L
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 09:14:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies

I took the whole side mirror off and stripped it down (lots of parts!) Right to the motor used for folding.

Inside the motor assembly are a few cogs, these are small and inaccessible really. I think the cog on the motor shaft is no longer secured, and just spinning on the shaft.

Definitely not worth trying to repair, even if I could find exactly what the problem was.

So I unplugged the motor connector which for future reference should actually be accessible by just removing the mirror cap, I'll try and attach an image.

So at least I still have electrically adjustable mirrors, just the folding does not work on the one side.

I'm going to look for a replacement at a breakers
Thanks all

Photo with mirror 'cap' removed

The motor connection is on the left of the photo, pull the grey rubber bung out and you will see it

Edit: can't seem to attach an image - apologies

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 09:33:55 pm »
How to post pictures on the forum.  ..... and how not to.  :)

http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=1846.0
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.