Author Topic: Genuine Mazda or Eibach Lowering Springs  (Read 28105 times)

Offline DiscoDave

• TS Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L
  • Year: 2008
Re: Genuine Mazda or Eibach Lowering Springs
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 04:27:21 pm »
Yes Mazda lower springs are linear

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 05:24:26 pm »
I have the TS2 car and I think it is marginal in a lot of the countryside lanes once you get some speed. I have already a bolt off from a park ramp at the dealer, one scratch on another occassion in a housing development, and once I got a touch with the road with no warning. Maybe my car with 100K miles needs new shocks and springs but I am not sure whether the original shocks will fit with the lowered springs, performance wise. I think you have to fit them as a kit to get the right balance of performance.

Offline Cee-Jay-Cee

• TS Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 08:42:47 am »
No, eibach and mazda lowering springs are designed to work with the standard suspension. Naturally they'll also work (and possibly better) with sports shocks (koni/bilstein) but theyre not necessary.

Anyway to update this, I didn't fit the springs, I was away yesterday evening and on one particulary poor stretch of road and the car and noted to myself how comfortable the car is on poorer/uneven surfaces and I didn't want to lose that so decided not to fit them after all. Now to try and sell them as its not cost effective to send them back to Germany...

Offline Cee-Jay-Cee

• TS Class
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 11:32:03 am »
Just to update this. Curiosity got the better of me and I fitted the eibach springs a few months ago with the intention of removing them again if I or my family found them too harsh but in actuality no one has noticed that I fitted them since.

They lowered the car bang on 30mm all round and leave it sitting perfectly level unlike the factory springs which left the front of the car higher (bigger tyre gap) than the rear. It looks absolutely perfect now.

I am convinced that Mazda cheaped out and fitted the same shocks/springs to both petrol and diesel cars from 2010 onwards. A mate of mine has a 2011 2.2 (180ps) Sport and parked beside mine, his front was 11mm lower than mine on factory springs and his had similar low mileage to mine and so his shocks/springs were in good order.

I'm also convinced that pre face lift cars had different springs/shocks as they all appear to sit slightly lower in the front than mine did. I hated the way mine looked and it was really spoiling the car for me.

Since fitting the eibach springs (which are specific to petrol models (the front springs are rated for 140kg less than the diesel version, rear springs are the same for both models)) it seems as if the eibach springs are better matched to the shocks than the factory springs. The car is so much smoother now, the front doesn't dip and rise on braking/acceleration and doesn't get unsettled on humps/bumps on the road as it done previously.

Comfort wise there is no difference, on poorer surfaces there is obviously less suspension travel but it hasn't compromised comfort and there are no issues with clearance.

It handles very well, even the simple things like on roundabouts the car is more stable with less roll.

I fitted mine myself along with a mate, it took less than 2hrs. Earlier that day, I sprayed all links/bolts with WD40 and so they all came off relatively easy. The rears took less than 20 minutes to do both. I just dropped the roll bar (removed the bushings not the links) and removed the large front bolt and swung the whole arm down, the springs pops out easily. The fronts were also easy to do just took a little longer.

Overall very impressed with them and would recommend them to anyone looking to get rid of the ridiculously large wheel gap on the Gen2 mazda 6 without compromising comfort or clearance.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:34:55 am by Cee-Jay-Cee »

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 12:57:27 pm »
Well done doing it all and liking the result.

Are you sure that your car had no other hidden problem from the previous owner? I think all 6s sit low in the front. I have the diesel pre facelift version and it is lower in the front than in the back and overall the car sits very low to the extend that make me wonder how that extra 30mm will suit the car. Do you have any photos of yours before and after?

What is the mileage you have done? I have 102K now and I am guessing that changing springs and shocks will not harm but so far it goes well. I do not think that the lower end comes with the mileage but I could be wrong.

Offline Cee-Jay-Cee

• TS Class
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 01:28:25 pm »
No there were no issues with the car and its something that I have noticed with all Takuya petrol models that I looked at. I was actually parked right next to a 2011 petrol Takuya a few months ago and it was identical to mine with the front end sitting a tad higher than the front as I had always wondered why mine appeared to sit so high compared to diesel models (which are very common over here in Ireland)

My car only has 79k kms (50k miles) on it and the shocks are in good order and the springs were the original genuine items.

The more I drive the car, the more I wish I'd done it sooner. There is a stretch of road that I take to get to my workplace, the road has been dug up and across several times by various water/telephone service companies and is a complete mess. On the original springs the car constantly unsettled while driving on it, ie there were that many humps and bumps that the suspension never had time to settle before it hit another bump/hollow in the road whereas now it glides over each of them with absolutely no ill effects. This alone leads me to believe that the original springs were not matched to the car and were too high a spring rate hence they sat high as there wasn't enough weight on them. Now with springs which are matched to the weight of the front of the car, the shocks do their job properly and are not restricted by too high a spring weight.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2017, 09:41:42 am »
That is interesting. I would be surprised if Mazda has missed the petrol/diesel specifications but now that you have the evidence that the car works better and you have seen others with the same problem, you wonder how this happened.