Author Topic: 2.2 SPORT ESTATE MPG AVERAGE POOR ?  (Read 32435 times)

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
2.2 SPORT ESTATE MPG AVERAGE POOR ?
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:14:30 pm »
JUST WORKED OUT THE MPG FOR MY 2.2 SPORT ESTATE FILLED TO BRIM WAITED FOR LIGHT TO COME ON FILLED TO BRIM AGAIN , I DID 382 MILES & PUT IN 55 LITRES DIESEL WHICH WORKS OUT AT 31.5 MPG NOW THE COMPUTER IN THE CAR SAYS 36 MPG ON AVERAGE OVER THAT MILEAGE (HAVE READ ON HEAR THERE IS A 10% DIFFERNCE TO THE ACTUAL) ! I HAVE MAINLY DONE LOCAL DRIVING EXCEPT ABOUT 50 MILES ON THE MOTORWAY, MY DRIVING IS I THINK QUITE CONSEVATIVE CERTAINLY NOT HEAVY FOOTED SO WAS EXPECTING MORE THAN 31.5 , AM I EXPECTING TOO MUCH DOES THIS SOUND ABOUT RIGHT FOR THIS CAR BEING DRIVEN MAINLY ROUND TOWN ?ANYONE ELSE GETTING THESE FIGURES ANY TIPS TO IMPROVE ?

Offline Martin6

• S Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2010
Re: 2.2 SPORT ESTATE MPG AVERAGE POOR ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 09:58:24 pm »
My 2.2 TS2 typically does about 45 MPG (calculated) on a mixed bag of driving mainly A and B roads, the computer typically reads 3 or 4 MPG too high. I realise mine is lacking a few horses under the bonnet compared to yours but the quoted mpg for both models is very similar. I would be gutted as I suspect you are if I only got that sort of mileage and can't help but think you must have a problem with your car.
Regards
Martin

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:15:36 pm »
My 2.2 TS2 typically does about 45 MPG (calculated) on a mixed bag of driving mainly A and B roads, the computer typically reads 3 or 4 MPG too high. I realise mine is lacking a few horses under the bonnet compared to yours but the quoted mpg for both models is very similar. I would be gutted as I suspect you are if I only got that sort of mileage and can't help but think you must have a problem with your car.
Regards
Martin
hi yes was hoping for around the 36/38 round town ,it has high mileage but has been serviced around every 6 months when the 12k was reached & is running really smooth so nothing obvious is wrong ,im assuming the high mileage (139K) + 185bhp  may have something to do with it but as i say has been seviced every 12k , filled up today so will see what i get out of it next time round  :-\

Offline MZR-CD

• Sport Class
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:24:51 am »
I drove around town for the weekend in mine from a full tank an topped it up with 180km done. My Gas Cubby app worked it out as 10.4l/100km or 27.2 mpg. Diesels are not particularly economic on an urban slog.

Conversely I have done 722km since last night and still have a third of a tank left so this looking like 47-48mpg at a steady 120kph cruise during the night.

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 01:33:41 pm »
I drove around town for the weekend in mine from a full tank an topped it up with 180km done. My Gas Cubby app worked it out as 10.4l/100km or 27.2 mpg. Diesels are not particularly economic on an urban slog.

Conversely I have done 722km since last night and still have a third of a tank left so this looking like 47-48mpg at a steady 120kph cruise during the night.
maybe 31.5 is about right for one of these engines then ,47-48 on a good run sounds pretty good ,will look what im getting next time i go for a long run on the motorway... thanx for the info

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:57:30 pm »
My long term average over 62K is 43.1mpg but 95% of it is motorway. Around town its about 37-40mpg.

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 07:18:54 pm »
My long term average over 62K is 43.1mpg but 95% of it is motorway. Around town its about 37-40mpg.
are them figures from the onboard computer or from brim to  brim and working out the exact mpg ?

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:21:37 pm »
I use http://www.spritmonitor.de and have logged every fueling since I have had the car from new (yes, I am THAT sad !!). I always fill it up to the brim to get an accurate figure.

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:11:12 pm »
I use http://www.spritmonitor.de and have logged every fueling since I have had the car from new (yes, I am THAT sad !!). I always fill it up to the brim to get an accurate figure.
ok you seem to be getting good mpg, as ive only had the car 4 weeks still getting used to how it drives so maybe i will be able to up the mpg once ive driven it more (ive only done 400 miles so far!)

Offline Martin6

• S Class
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 09:58:13 pm »
I wouldn't think the high mileage would count against you when it comes to mpg especially if the car has been regularly serviced, diesels are generally famed for their durability. It will be interesting to see what you get on a longer run.
As a matter of interest how has the rest of the car held up to the high miles, I am particularly wondering about the the interior trim and the paintwork, both of which are regularly criticised on the 6.
Martin

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:31:51 am »
I wouldn't think the high mileage would count against you when it comes to mpg especially if the car has been regularly serviced, diesels are generally famed for their durability. It will be interesting to see what you get on a longer run.
As a matter of interest how has the rest of the car held up to the high miles, I am particularly wondering about the the interior trim and the paintwork, both of which are regularly criticised on the 6.
Martin
yes the car runs & feels like its done 30k ,im going down to nottingham to a bodyshop in a couple of weeks which is 140 mile round trip so will fill up b4 then fill up when i get back see what mpg i get . As for the interior again the seats are as near perfect for a 3yr old car even the drivers seat is in fantastic condition ,all the buttons ,controls & interior trim are spot on seems like whoever had the car b4 me really looked after it even the alloys are in great condition only 1 has a scratch on it with no curbing , as for the paintwork having prob done 90% of its mileage on the motorway there is a lot of stone chips on the bonnet , bumper & front wings which iam getting resprayed in a couple of weeks by a really good bodyshop ,there are 3/4  light scratches around the car which im hoping will get polished out when its in the bodyshop but as it has been said on here b4 the paint does seem on the thin side  ,some scraches on the front corner bumper look like its been brushed against some bushes when been parked lots of little marks !

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:51:34 am »
My fuel consumption got better once it passed the 40k mark, not a huge improvement but noticeable all the same. I change the air filter every 10k so it may be worth checking and replacing yours. The service schedule says to change them every 32.5k (I think, don't quote me on that).

Offline Martin6

• S Class
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 03:56:17 pm »

[/quote]yes the car runs & feels like its done 30k ,im going down to nottingham to a bodyshop in a couple of weeks which is 140 mile round trip so will fill up b4 then fill up when i get back see what mpg i get . As for the interior again the seats are as near perfect for a 3yr old car even the drivers seat is in fantastic condition ,all the buttons ,controls & interior trim are spot on seems like whoever had the car b4 me really looked after it even the alloys are in great condition only 1 has a scratch on it with no curbing , as for the paintwork having prob done 90% of its mileage on the motorway there is a lot of stone chips on the bonnet , bumper & front wings which iam getting resprayed in a couple of weeks by a really good bodyshop ,there are 3/4  light scratches around the car which im hoping will get polished out when its in the bodyshop but as it has been said on here b4 the paint does seem on the thin side  ,some scraches on the front corner bumper look like its been brushed against some bushes when been parked lots of little marks !
[/quote]

The state of the paintwork doesn't surprise me frankly, my car has only done 20K and it is already covered in little chips and other scuffs and mine spends very little time on the motorway, to say the paint is only paper thin would be to exaggerate somewhat. I am pleased and encouraged to hear the rest of the car is holding up so well though, apart from the mpg issue it sounds like you have found a good one.
Cheers
Martin

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 04:04:45 pm »
Mine seems to be holding up well at 62.5k, although it does spend 99% of its time on the motorway. Its going back at 100K so I wont see 139k in mine.

Offline MZR-CD

• Sport Class
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 07:06:08 pm »
Just topped up - exclusively motorway driving at 120kph and 100kph on national roads and it worked out as 49.6mpg. The trip computer said 5.6l/100km and the final figure was 5.7l/100km. I've noticed at the extremes of efficiency (very good and very bad) its a lot more accurate.