Author Topic: RAC puncture repair kit  (Read 8594 times)

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
RAC puncture repair kit
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:07:06 pm »
When I bought the car, the dealer gave me this repair kit because the original was missing:

http://www.racpuncturerepairkit.com/

I had to use it almost immediatelly after a tyre failure.

In my complaint about the condition of the tyres, they provided an additional kit, almost identical but with their logo on instead of the RAC one. While it looks very similar, it feels much cheaper, lower quality, and so I kept using the RAC one for the weekly tyre pressure check and I added the other sealant in the bag.

Something is going wrong with my left wheels and they are not air tight but they never managed to sort it out.

Before Christmas this RAC thing broke its motor and is not working any more.

I contacted them through a person who had replaced some of the missing accessories advertised on their website but I received no reply.

I contacted the company directly and I received an auto reply that this email does not exist.

When I contacted the dealer, they suggested to contact RAC but this thing does not appear on their web site:

https://www.racshop.co.uk/

I do not know why but I can find them selling it via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAC-RACKIT-Maintenance-Puncture-Repair/dp/B00XN8LIOI/ref=lp_3603150031_1_3?srs=3603150031&ie=UTF8&qid=1516916980&sr=8-3

Am I entitled to a replacement as this is advertised as lifetime warranty?

It died in 2.5 years. When I contacted them for the missing accessories they were very helpful and they told me that Arnold Clark was a huge customer for them and they were very sorry about the mistake.

But now it seems that this is not a real company or that they use the RAC logo. I would be happy if I had a reply from them even if they refused to replace it but they seem not to exist at all.

The one I have with the Arnold Clark logo, seems that will last even less.

The way this RAC thing collapsed is a bit scary because if it was an emergency, then you are in trouble as you do not even have the chance to attempt to repair the tyre.

I already had the painful rear brakes repair for which I have no idea how much of money went wasted, and still makes me upset when now I check the handbrake and it is weird on the first bit of movement, and now I have to do the same thing for the air compressor.

The brakes are on warranty until middle of March but I cannot see how I could discuss like a human with the greasy bully. I feel the same at loss with the compressor.

The citizens advice has an article about that:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/claim-using-a-warranty-or-guarantee/

Still, I cannot see how I will find a way to contact them.

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: RAC puncture repair kit
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:45:22 am »
So, if I've understood correctly - you've got a 2.5 years old RAC branded compressor which has broken.  You believe it has a lifetime warranty and would like a replacement, but can't track down who to contact.

Your first link directs to a page where you can "Setup your lifetime compressor guarantee".  Normally new things have a one year guarantee in the UK, and to extend that guarantee to a longer one (as promised 'on the tin'), one has to register the product within a set period of time from buying it.  My guess is that your compressor wasn't registered at the time, so your lifetime guarantee won't be valid.  However, the sealant seems to be made by Sales Science Ltd, or add-seal.co.uk, who seem to partner up with every man and his dog (including the RAC) to sell the repair kits, including the compressors.  See here...

http://www.add-seal.co.uk/emergency/

Personally, I'd bin the kit and get a spare wheel, but you could also use the second (seemingly inferior) compressor the dealer gave you, or buy yourself a good compressor. It's not completely unrealistic for a cheap compressor which is used weekly to go on the blink after a couple of years.

You also have a problem with "the condition of the tyres" (bald, persished, unmatching etc?) and "the left wheels and they are not air tight".  Tyres deflating could be slow punctures, leaking/faulty valves, bad seals, or faulty wheels.  A decent tyre repair shop should be able to diagnose/cure this cheaply/easily.  Forget taking it to the original dealer, they'll not be able to find anything wrong.

Get another garage to check your brakes if they're not right.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: RAC puncture repair kit
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:57:36 pm »
Thank you!

I did the warranty registration once I bought the car. I did not pay for the repair kit but as I paid for the car, the "RAC" accepted it because of their relation with the dealer.

I had a quick search for "mazda 6 ts2 wheel" and an ebay link comes up for £50 together with a tyre.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-MAZDA-6-ALLOY-WHEEL-17-5x114-3-9965307070-TYRE-215-50-17/122929328177?hash=item1c9f28b031:g:EYUAAOSwItJaZ2Jl

Is this value for money?

My wheels are worse than this one. They look like they were refurbished and gone bad again.

When I bought the car, the tyres were old and started cracking. One of them died on motorway roadworks at 2:00am after a 400 miles interview trip.

I went to one of the local franchises and they did not accept responsibility. I paid for a new budget tyre and added that to the rear axle together with the other matching tyre which still had some serious thread left.

Within the first year, I ran to the ground the two front tyres and replaced them just before the MOT. I had two near tyres at the rear axle again and the older tyres swapped in the front.

I had these done at ATS. They found some kind of sealand the dealer had used but they told me that it was too little to work. They did it again free of charge and it was fine for a few weeks.

Somehow the left wheels are less air tight. Within one week they can lose 5-10-15PSI depending on the weather.

Six months in the new tyres, I had a valve leaking. I went back to the ATS and they replaced it. I am not sure if the valve is of the same quality but leaking systematically and slowly. I think there is something wrong with the wheels.

The front tyres should last for the MOT but I am considering replacing them and getting another new pair at the rear axle.

I had the MOT in another garage which found nothing wrong with the car and at the same time I question whether he really MOTed the car. I received no smoke certificate and the car passed without advisory having a few bulbs not working. I thought he would go through and fix things but I suppose that I was wrong. He had told that this is the brake test and all problems would show up. I went back for the oil change and I am not sure how much I should trust him. The garages in this area!