Author Topic: Perry's Huddersfield - never again!  (Read 13370 times)

Offline RSW

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Perry's Huddersfield - never again!
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:54:00 pm »
Where to start... I drive a Mazda 6 company car and it has always been in Perry's Huddersfield. I had the recall letter last Aug11 (i think) for TPMS and timing tensionair.  I called up and booked it in and away it went. I got it back and was told I'd have to take it back when parts were in...?? Why call it in if you don;t have the parts..? I was booked back in and apparently the work was done. I walked round the car when I got it back and all the tyre valves looked old and scruffy and there was no way they were new. I called the service manager (at the time Nick) and asked what had been done to the tpms. I was told 2 had been changed and 2 where checked. I figured these tpms must have internal components that would have been changed so this is why the looked like they had not been changed from an outward appearance (how wrong I was...!) Anyway... 6 month (20k miles) later one of these troublesome TPMS let go on the rear wheel and the tyre went flat and the nightmare begins.
I called Perry's and ranted that it had meant to have had these changed, they were very evasive saying things like, "something can go wrong the next day", " there is nothing to say the car is safe even the day after the work". I pushed and pushed and got them to look over the car. I was angry that I was sure these valves had never been changed even though Perrys were now producing a job card from 6 month earlier saying all 6 were changed (different to what Nick had told me). I now smelt a rat. I had the failed tyre valve with me in the showroom and I was prepared to make scene - what if this had failed with my family in the car!! To cut a story short - as I waited while the inspected the car the service manager then came back and was reserved in his manor but he told me the valve I had in my hand was the OLD TYPE valve. So I said - well that proves they were never changed! The Service Manager said to me - if all the 3 remaining tyre valve where the same as that one then yes that may be the case. I said, "well you can foot the bill for the 2 month old tyre that had just gone on the car as it was now ruined!".
A date was set to have the car back in for a further "tyres off" inspection and a new set of tyre valves (... the ones it should have had 6 month previous). I went and had the worn tyre changed on the Saturday (the tyre wall had suffered some wear). On the following Tuesday the car went into Perry's and in the mean time I'd contacted Mazda UK about the poor service and potentially dangerous issue here.
When my car was collected on Tuesday it was on a tyre that was 3 days old so imagine my utter shock at receiving a phone call from the service manager saying they had changed the other valves now but the rear wheel which I'd had the issue with now had a nail in the tyre and that is why it was losing air!!! I suspected this was an attempt to either get out of paying for a tyre and throw some muddy water on the potentially dangerous happenings of recent days. so - imagine Perry's surprise when I enlightened them to the fact that tyre was 3 days old (not the same tyre that had had the failed valve). I was now really upset and suspicious so I headed down to Perry's to see this nail for myself before the driver had returned the car. I have photo's of what i found... a nail pushed into the inside wall of the tyre up near the rim about 50mm from the road. It was at a perfect 90 degrees to the wall - pushed straight in. I was amazed as I have never seen a nail in that location and by pure chance it was in a 3 day old tyre (Perry's didn't know the tyre had been changed you see). Plus it is in the same tyre as the offending valve - what are the chances of that. I was stood with 3 of Perry's workers at this point around my car, one of which was the mechanic who did the work and had found the nail. I remarked about the unlikely location of the nail and he said," its only got a small head but it is about an inch long!" - to which I replied," how do you know how long the nail is???". After a short moment he replied that he'd pulled the nail out. I said " but its still in there" he said "yeah - I pushed it back in there". I now really smelt a rat because the reality is that mechanic had removed the tyre to change the valve so what need would he have to pull the nail out if he was going to remove the tyre anyway????
I can;t prove anything but I can tell it how it happened - none of this is liable as it is only liable if it is not true!
And Mazda UK were worse then useless as they told me I had no proof and I should have done something at the time I noticed the tpms looked ... old!
To make things more laughable Mazda UK told me my tpms could well have been changed but they was some "old stock" knocking about so it is possible that the recall had been done and the tpms replaced with the same suspect items that the recall was issued to address!!! And this isn't just Perry's I'm talking about, the stock could have been used by any dealer - what a Joke! I know for a fact that what I saw with those TPMS that had not been changed, they were the old scratty ones the car had gone in with - but I'm just a customer with a fleet car who can;t prove anything.
I made Lex AutoLease aware of everything and they aren't daft - there is no way this is a string of coincidences. My words the Mazda UK where - the way Perry's have wormed and riddled means I will never use them again, however the way Mazda UK have been so "not interested" is the reason I will never buy another Mazda. I also said I would tell my story as it happened to all who would listen - hence I am writing it here!

Offline Hawkmoon

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2010
Re: Perry's Huddersfield - never again!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56:16 am »
This sounds appalling to me. If I were you I would contact BBC TV's Watchdog programme and/or Trading Standards.

Offline paulharness

• S Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:54:07 am »
Same problems with one of my valves shredding on the M6, and then I got embroiled with Mazda UK and JCT600 Leeds's penny pinching attitude which carries on as I type. My story's at
http://www.mazda-campaign.co.uk/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=107
Mazda do nothing to engender goodwill but everything to build up customer stress!

Offline Flying KD

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:22:22 am »
Hi Folks
I read this with considerable interest as I have just bought a 6 Sport in the hope that it will be better than my Citroen C5. I have had endless problems with the Citroen and the dealer has done little more than the minimum, Citroen UK were initially helpful and even ran to a gesture of goodwill. Then as the situation worsened and problems increased Citroen UK eventually told me that they would do nothing else and "the warranty was there to fix these issues"; needless to say I will never have another Citroen (or PSA group) car and as the Citroen was a contract hire vehicle I can return it. If it appears in an auction near you don't even think about it!
  It would appear that manufacturers are not interested, there would appear to be enough customers that they don't need loyalty.