Author Topic: Headlights Always On!  (Read 6603 times)

Offline jaygeezer

• S Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
Headlights Always On!
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:49:15 pm »
I have a 2nd generation 2008, 2.5 sport with auto xenon headlights.
Recently I have noticed the headlights are on all the time when the ignition is on except in the sidelight position.
They are even on in the off position on the stalk.
I have cleaned the windscreen in case it was the auto sensor and also disconnected and reconnected the battery to no avail.
Dont have access to a fault code reader.
Any ideas, stalk possibly?

Offline jaygeezer

• S Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
Re: Headlights Always On!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:15:58 pm »
I have read the previous article about this but swear blind they haven't always been like this.
Have had this car 3 years and sat in traffic on many occasions with them not illuminating the rear of the car in front.
The auto function wouldn't be necessary If they are permanently on, am I going mad or what???
A mate is going to lend me a OBD, see it it shows any codes?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Headlights Always On!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 11:29:15 am »
It was always like that. Mine is 9/2009 and it does it.

What auto lights means for Mazda gurus is that the dashboard illuminates when it is dark outside but the lights at the front and back of the car are always on.

They changed some relay for the facelift car and that can turn off the lights. Some people have swapped the relays for £150 or so for the part. The trick is that if you get into a knowledgeable and legal MOT centre, the car will be failed because it is not at its original set up.

The lights at traffic confuse you based on the shape of the car in front. I have come home and had to check that the bulbs were on because the reflection looked like one of them had gone off.