Author Topic: 2.2D early oil change  (Read 7228 times)

Offline jasper

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2016
2.2D early oil change
« on: August 22, 2018, 11:47:30 am »
Last week my 2.2D indicated that an oil change was due. The last full service was just before I acquired it and I had clocked up another 4600 miles, so I thought it a bit strange. After 3 days the oil pressure warning indicator illuminated as well. As this point I could not ignore it.
The oil level was approx half way between full and X.
Mazda advice was to get it checked as an emergency under the manufacturer's warranty.
So the dealer did an oil and filter change, reset the codes, updated the software and said that it should not happen again. But he did not really explain what was going on (I suspect that he didn't know).

I realise that the dilution of the oil with diesel will be picked up by the oil quality sensor, but why so quickly? Could my towing a trailer on a number of occasions around town have contributed to the early oil degradation?
Also, why would the oil pressure indicator illuminate?

Thanks for your help.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: 2.2D early oil change
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 02:41:00 pm »
4,600 miles is some distance. Can you guarantee that the oil was replaced with the right ACEA specification?

Towing and city driving are putting too much stress to the car. If this is all you use the car for, you should consider going for the earlier service intervals as mentioned in the owner's manual.

The oil pressure in the second generation cars was down to the quality of the oil, the continuous regenerations, the leaking injector seals, all adding up destroying the oil and making it solid. It was blocking the oil feel to the oil pump and so there was limited oil circulation. Drivers had often only chance of seeing the warning before the engine dying. I will not be surprised if something very similar happens to the third generation cars.

You can only do that much to help the car survive a bit longer. Maybe checking the injection system for leaks. Maybe replacing the oil and oil filter often. Maybe driving smoothly over longer distances.

Offline jasper

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 03:38:19 pm »
Well the last full service was done by the Mazda dealer, so I have to assume that he has used the correct oil.
My trailer towing around town was in between my normal 30+30 mile commute, which is part motorway / part town roads with queues.
So I will accept that it needs more oil changes than 12,500 mile. It is just slightly annoying because I previously put 110,000 miles on a 2.2D Accord and only changed the oil at the allotted intervals.

Thanks for your advice.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 02:34:22 pm »
Unfortunately, the dealers are not owned by the manufacturer. As a result, they have flexibility. For example, some time ago there was some discussion about the right oil for the second generation cars. It turns out that the dealer in question was using the oil from the third generation cars for servicing second generation cars. As most of the people will not keep their cars for ever, when problems start showing up, the dealer will come up with something like, the car is too old and we have a great finance deal to replace the car with a newer one. Most people are happy with that. As you noticed, the dealer is not too happy to explain what went wrong. You can check the paperwork and compare it with the manual. 4,600 miles is too short and the engine management light is bad for a 2 years old car under warranty.

I think commuting nowadays is more like stop start driving. The fact that you stop start in the middle of nowhere on the motorway, does not make it any different than city driving. The manual for the second generation cars mentions that mountain driving, towing, city, etc, classify as heavy use. As a result, the service intervals should be reduced. It has a figure which I cannot recall but I think it just halves the mileage between services. So, if you towing on a regular basis, this is something you should consider but check your manual for more details. For traffic driving, either on the motorway or in the city, if that is all the mileage the car does again this is not good. The key to a healthy DPF is smooth constant driving so that it settles and regenerates. But your engine management light indicates that the problem is something bigger than just the DPF regenerations.

Yes replacing the oil earlier will not do any harm. But at the same time, you have to inspect the car and make sure that it works properly and you do not get the engine management light on. In these cars, it means checking the injection system for leaks and checking the oil pick up to make sure that it is clear. You need a clear EGR and manifold as well to ensure smooth running. If everything is fine, then the oil changes should last more than 4,600 miles. Another factor to consider is how heavy you are with the throttle. If you floor it on a regular basis, you add extra stress to the DPF as more fuel goes through unburnt. Older cars with no DPF/EGR/etc could take more abuse but still even the newer cars are good enough. I have the second generation car with the full set of DPF/EGR/etc and it is now on 116K miles but still goes longer than the recommended service interval between oil changes.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/diesel-particulate-filters

Offline alfaboy155

• S Class
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 12:36:00 pm »
I change the oil and filters every 10000km (6000 miles)  myself with grade C1 oil ( found a youtube video on this- very easy)even though the main dealer told me they now use C3 oil.

Offline GaryGary

• TS Class
  • Trim: SE-L
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 03:37:01 pm »
I also change mine every 6 yo 8 thousand miles, and use Mazda DPF Oil, C1

I have heard of dealers using C3 But as far as I am aware it is the wrong oil. These engines where built to use C1. the factory designers know better than a dealer that cant be arsed to stock the correct oil

C1 Is The lowest SAPS oil with a viscosity with a minimum HTHS of 2.9

C3  Is Mid SAPS with a minimum HTHS of 3.5

This is just my opinion, The last time I had the sump off to inspect the pick up screen it was clean enough to eat off.....

Steve