Author Topic: FUEL LIGHT -19" ALLOYS  (Read 5503 times)

Offline ROB C

• S Class
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2016
FUEL LIGHT -19" ALLOYS
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:18:51 pm »
Am I missing something, I have had my Mazda for 14 months or does my 6 SEL NAV not have a fuel warning light? also would like a any comments regarding changing the wheel size,taking it up to 19" with low profile tyres  - making look nicer.
Or is there an issue with that I dont know about.

ps kind of new to this Forum business, my apologies if there is a dress code.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: FUEL LIGHT -19" ALLOYS
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:17:55 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  I would suggest that you have a look at the Wheels & Tyres forum to find answers to your wheel question.

http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?board=32.0

Perhaps you might want to add a question in that dedicated area. :)

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
FUEL LIGHT
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 04:42:51 pm »
Yes it has got a fuel light if you check your handbook, but I wouldn't recommend using that as a an indication of when to fill up.
Suggest you never let your tank drop below 1/4 tank. The reason for this is that you will start to suck up any sand grit or rust into your fuel system which will have disasterous results on modern high pressure fuel injected fuel systems.
You might say, its got a fuel filter to take that out,  that is until the fuel filter becomes blocked ahead of its time and your engine stops just as you are overtaking on atwo lane road with a truck coming the other way. If these small particles manage to pass through the filter they will do umtold damage to your injectors that work on extremely fine tolerances and will just wear them away, create poor atomisation, poor combustion, lack of power and low economy. Plus you are adding abrasives into the combustion chamber that can form deposits and cause premature cylinder liner and piston ring wear.
So in a nutshell its false economy.

Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
FUEL LIGHT
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 05:23:10 pm »
System timed out.
I note your engine is a diesel, so running the tank down to the warning light is a No-No on  a regular basis.
Relying on the fuel consumption and miles to empty  is asking for trouble. So much of the fuel in that figure will be umpumpables, the figures are just a guide and can be +/-  5%   in error. My neighbour who is in the AA  has gone to countless call outs because the driver has been relying on that  x fuel/ miles left. If the mfrs did not put that function on the cars there would be fewer cars running out of fuel.
If you run out, you will probably need more than a gallon  and the damage that it may cause is not worth chancing.
A  demonisation of diesels article by the motoring press this week highlighted the increase in call outs by the motoring organisations  due the fuel filters blocking up. This is due to using cheap fuel that the full gamut of additives have not been added preventing the diesel waxing up due to the low temperatures of -10°C  or lower plus failure to change the fuel filter at the required service intervals and possibly forever running on empty.
What the article didn't say was the average age of these failed cars but I would think they would be 3rd or 4th owner types that tend not to service them.

I once had a car that the fuel float assembly had failed and being an apprentice could not afford a new one, yet I used to fill up based on a conservative mileage of a 1/4 tank. I never did run out of fuel as I knew each time my mpg and that the mileage was a safe one.

Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class