Author Topic: Starter Motor  (Read 5104 times)

Offline beezageoff

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
Starter Motor
« on: November 23, 2017, 07:07:03 pm »
Ive recently had a problem with a flat battery, so I took it to a non Mazda garage and they did a check on it which said that the battery was only 70% efficient and that it needed to be around 90%. So, I bought a new battery. however, I still had the same problem, so I took the car back. They did another battery test which showed the battery was ok. ( they showed me a print out of the result)
They then did a test on the starter motor which showed that the starter motor was not ok!!!!
So, my question is this: How much should I expect to pay for a new motor to be fitted? I have been quoted just under £320 for a Lucas model, all in. Is this reasonable? I have looked for prices for the actual motor and they seem to fluctuate from around £111 to £210 depending on the type.
I wouldn't have thought that it would take that long to fit it. Years ago, it was a quick job, but things move on!!!

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: Starter Motor
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 01:06:07 pm »
Bear in mind a starter can be reconditioned, depending on what's wrong with it.  Might be worth trying a suitably equipped 'car electrics' place.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Starter Motor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 08:09:00 pm »
I think the quotes the garages give include returning yours and deduct that money from the total.