Author Topic: DPF Light issue  (Read 6597 times)

Offline beanbert

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
DPF Light issue
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:08:45 am »
Just a quick question looking for advice with my 2009 6 Sport 2.0d

So my DPF light came on flashing amber & I saw online it doubles up as a service light. It came on exactly 12 months after it was last serviced so I assumed it was that & I had it serviced at my local garage last week. The light is still on & the guy said if it doesn't go off after a good drive then he will have to force a regeneration. I drove to Skegvegas yesterday which is a 2 hour trip each way & the light is still on. He said that if it doesn't go off & he has to force it then it will also need an oil & filter change AGAIN because the forced regen f*cks it up. Is this true? I've seen others say online it costs £48 for Mazda to do it.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Trim: TS2
Re: DPF Light issue
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 02:25:05 pm »
I have the same car.

Some readers/scanners cannot reset it.

Try the manual approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV3_TYoWzAs

The guy I went for the oil change, used one of the snap on reader/scanner and it did nothing about it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Snap-on-Vehicle-Code-Readers-and-Scanners/179476/bn_2322063

The guy wanted extra money to press the reset despite telling him that it had nothing to do with the DPF.

At the end he did it and it did not reset.

So I just used the cable and it did the trick.

As you are 12 months after the service, I think you will be fine with just a reset.

If you had DPF problems, that would flash earlier.

The reset at the dealer does the same job as the cable reset.

Somebody in here had wrote before that did the cable reset and then went to the dealer who could read it as fully reset. So no need to pay them for anything extra.

Offline beanbert

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 11:54:13 am »
OK cheers mate. Once I reset the warning light should a good motorway drive enable it to regenerate?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 01:36:40 pm »
I know what you mean about the regeneration but a single run will not do a lot if you then return to a driving style that harms the DPF.

From what you are saying, you just a need due to a service.

Check your average speed in the trip computer.

If that is above 25mph, then you are doing well.

If not, you should consider using the car differently to increase the average speed.

If you have to use the car in conditions that harm the DPF, consider doing at least a weekly ~20 miles trip non-stop at which the car moves constantly.

But if that was the case, you would have problems in the previous 12 months, not just now that the service is due.

No matter what is going on with the DPF, it is not good to rev the engine and/or drive it aggressively as more unburnt fuel will make the problem worse.

Offline beanbert

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 01:50:08 pm »
I do a mixture of driving but mon-fri it is mainly town driving with one or two 40/60mph roads but at the weekends I do about 30 mins driving on the motorway. I do the occasional trip to Skegvegas every couple of months but thats about it. I followed another video on youtube to then regenerate the DPF which took about 20 mins & seems to have worked fine.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 06:55:23 am »
Your driving is fine. Just change the oil and do the reset and it will be OK. You probably did not need to do the regeneration. It is a bit brutal for the car, so you should avoid them doing them unnecessarily.