Author Topic: Was I ripped off?  (Read 8001 times)

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Was I ripped off?
« on: July 05, 2016, 06:02:33 am »
I got a puncture yesterday in my 18" low profile tyre, ending up with a large screw in the centre of the front tyre. Being 10 miles from home but only a mile from a Kwik Fit centre, I decided to drive this short distance to get it repaired. I managed to get there with the tyre still partly inflated so not damaged. Unfortunately, a repair was tried but unsuccessful due to the size of the screw. It was very large. I had no option therefore than have a new tyre fitted. I was offered a Dunlop SP Sport 01 for £186 or a Hakook K120 at £220. I was shocked at these prices as my last set of Barum tyres cost £100 each fitted. I think it's obvious which tyre I selected. I cannot complain about the service, which was fine, but the prices are something else.

On my return home I decided to check out the prices Kwik Fit offer on line. I was shocked when I discovered the Dunlop is £120.99 and the Hankook is £108.99. I felt truly ripped off.

I have decided to write to Kwik Fit to query their policy on this as I an unhappy about being ripped off for the sum of £65.

After this experience I am now looking at the cost of a spare wheel.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2004
Re: Was I ripped off?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 09:30:02 am »
Presuming you went for the Dunlop, was the cost of £186 inclusive of the cost of doing the failed repair ?    The difference of £65 sounds about right .
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 12:30:29 pm »
Yip like Will said if they have charged you for the repair and the cost of the tyre that could be near the mark also a bit mean. But if not then yes to expensive. But then Kwik Fit are never cheap. My case 2 Bridgestone 19 inch on and balanced £345 for my sport nav 6. Four months earlier £325 the pair. Samll private tyre dealer.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 02:53:38 pm »
There was no mention on the bill regarding the attempted puncture repair, which would have been £25 if successful. The bill stated the tyre cost at £170 plus the fitting package an additional £16.49. Perhaps I was lucky to get away with the cost of the puncture. Who knows?
I did receive an Email reply from Kwik Fit, which was non committal and said what I thought it would say.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 05:56:46 pm »
FITTING PACKAGE ! Now there is the RIP OFF >:( Most places it's PRICE and that's on fitted and balanced. Kwik Fit They don't just jack up the car they jack up the price  >:(
cheers steve  8)

Offline vitesse

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 05:58:06 am »
My recommendation is to find a friendly local independent tyre and exhaust fitting centre. I have been using the same one for 25 years and they are always welcoming, no nonsense and I have never been charged for a repair investigation or failed repair. Their prices are always competitive and they even sell reasonably priced tyres that have puncture guarantees, which have definitely saved me money in the past. They also service brakes. I would have no problem giving them a plug here but I don't know if that would be against the forum rules.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 07:50:11 am »
I would have no problem giving them a plug here but I don't know if that would be against the forum rules.

Not a problem. Give them a plug here.  http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?board=18.0
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.