Author Topic: 2015 M6 SportNav - Wheels peeling  (Read 29079 times)

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: 2015 M6 SportNav - Wheels peeling
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 01:36:49 pm »
I'm keeping a close eye on my 2017 model wheels so far so good we shall wait and see
Cheers Steve  8)

Offline Barnett73

• S Class
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica (42A)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 01:55:21 pm »
I've encountered the same problem on my 2015 car with less than 10000 miles on the clock, the dealership has looked at the car and arranged for replacement wheels under warranty. So have mazda sorted out the problem now or is this possibly a recurring problem that will occur again? If it's recurring what happens when your warranty has expired?

Offline gazza1960

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 02:31:02 pm »
The same thought had crossed my mind. My car goes into the Workshop on this Thursday for complete set of replacement wheels. The Dealer sent photos off and two days later Mazda agreed they should be replaced under warranty. So the reaction from the Dealer and Mazda was excellent, but no offer of an explanation. Now all I can hope is that this was a manufacturing fault or a coating formula issue that has now been resolved and that 2017 wheels do not suffer the same issue, but as you say if it happens two years from now they will be out of warranty and then it becomes my problem. I had heard that the issue was down to the fact that we use salt on our roads during the winter, but it was just a comment from someone, I don't know how true it was. Hey Ho! at least on Friday I will have shiny new wheels again - how long for I don't know?

Offline gazza1960

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 02:04:44 pm »
Update to my original post.

I went back to the dealer and there was no quibble whatsoever. It is a well known issue internally, something to do with the incompatibility of the Lacquer and the road salt we use over our winter months. I had all four wheels replaced, although I still believe the replacement wheels are not quite as dark as my originals were. The dealer explained this (and showed me) that the internal document which describes the known issue with the blistering also describes a darkening of the original wheels over time due to dark spots under the lacquer (like the old newspaper picture dots) which creates an illusion of a darker wheel when compared side-by-side with the replacements. I have had the replacements for a year now and no issues so far (fingers crossed), even through our beast from the east weather this winter. One thing to note though was that the Dealer said to me that if my wheels had been scuffed/kerbed they would have void the warranty, fortunately for me I am a careful when parking and mine were pristine, so they had no way out on that one

Offline Choppit

• TS Class
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 12:39:52 am »
My second set of wheels started to blister less than a year after replacement, so Mazda doesn't have this under control at all....

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 12:44:10 pm »
Originally had this problem two years ago when the dealer recoated two of the wheels - the dealer at the time wouldn't replace them.
Fast forward two years and the two wheels that were not recoated and one of the ones that was started peeling in several places. I visited Brindley Mazda in Wolverhampton (original dealer had closed) who took some pictures and Mazda agreed to replace the three peeling wheels free of charge, even though the car was now out of warranty by 18 months.

Offline Choppit

• TS Class
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 08:47:02 pm »
Something to watch out for. For the last year I've had the tyre pressure warning flag 4 times, about every 3 months. Turns out that air was slowly escaping around the flaking lacquer in a couple of places. Unfortunately, a significant amount of lacquer had to be removed from the rim to seal the tyre, so it looks even worse now.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 10:40:13 am »
How did you fix this air leak?

Offline Choppit

• TS Class
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 06:38:35 pm »
Tyre fitter took the loose lacquer back, re-lacquered (only the edge of the rim I assume), and used rubber solution, at least that's what he told me. I've had no issues since, but the wheel looks a mess now. Annoying really, considering the wheels are less than 2 years old, having been replaced under warranty. I'm somewhat tempted to contact Mazda to see if they'll replace again (although I'm now 8 months out of warranty)