Author Topic: 2011 6 2.2 Sport - Red Starter + Key Light on Dash - Won't Start  (Read 33393 times)

Offline Pat31

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Re: 2011 6 2.2 Sport - Red Starter + Key Light on Dash - Won't Start
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 01:30:21 pm »
Update 2 Car went back to Mazda but sods law, started first time, however after 2 days the car was still at mazda and that morning it didn’t start for them.  After them trying for about 5 times, car went into shut down mode again.

Mazda technical have told them to check the earth again which was fine, and now they are 90% sure that the steering lock mechanism needs replacing. Personally I’m not sure but I don’t have any other options, apart from footing the bill for over £700 and seeing what happens.

Just for a laugh I asked about part ex car, they offered £4,500!!! haha jokes on me.

Offline funkymikeb

• S Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 08:50:31 pm »
I'm having similar issues - described in my post http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=2057.0.

Has anyone found a solution to their particular woes (excluding the corroded earth which has also been checked on mine)?

My car is totally impossible to start and the current theory is that it's down to the Keyless Entry Module.

Some of you mention the steering lock so this article might hold some clues:
http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/93378/no-start-with-mazda-keyless

Offline Pat31

• S Class
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 09:28:46 am »
Hi Funkymikeb. Mazda garage fitted steering lock module Friday and are doing tests for a week so will post results when I can. Previous occasions it's around the 4th or 5th day when the car shut downs.

Offline funkymikeb

• S Class
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 12:19:37 pm »
Mazda UK/Europe have just advised that they have seen my problem once before in Norway and are recommending replacing both the Keyless Control Module and Steering Lock Assembly for a bargain price of just over £1500 including VAT and labour.

Offline funkymikeb

• S Class
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 09:03:16 am »
Hi Pat31 - what's the latest with your car please? Can you also confirm that you've only replaced the steering lock module?

Offline Pat31

• S Class
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 10:30:56 am »
Hi funkymikeb , I got my car back on Friday, they had fitted the steering lock module ( I don't have the part no to hand but will post it later).
So far it seems ok, Mazda garage tested it for a week i.e. just starting the car at different times of the day.
I have used the car since and it has started first time so far. Early mornings it takes approx. 7sec. to fire up. but once its warmed up approx. 4-5sec.
Just because of me previous experiences the jury's still out if its fixed, I need to run the car a bit longer to be sure.

what the latest on your?

Offline funkymikeb

• S Class
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 04:59:46 pm »
Hi Pat31 - my car is still dead in the garage. Mine is slightly worse than yours was, in that it cannot be re-programmed. Still looking at replacing both the steering lock and keyless entry module at the moment.

Also, was your steering actually locked when it manifested the issue as I don't think mine is.

Did you consider going down the "Sale of Goods Act" route - I'm not sure why something like this would be excluded from this or why cars are not generally considered for this?

Also, if your car was regularly serviced (preferably by Mazda) since new and is reasonable mileage, Mazda might contribute to the cost anyway, despite being out of warranty. I would definitely contact them at least.

Finally, nothing from Chokka and his similar issue?

Offline R88KMJ

• S Class
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 05:57:03 pm »
I have had the exact same issue with my 59 plate 2.5 sport. Car wouldn't start 1st December - red key light. Cut a long story short a new steering lock has been fitted - £750. I got the car back on 13th December - no problems so far touch wood.

Only problem I have now is the TPMS light is on since they gave it back to me (why give it back to me with a light flashing??) but the pressures are fine - dealer saying all electrics are fine and it is the instrument cluster that is the problem - £974. They haven't got a clue - completely lost all faith in car - only had it since end of October - also thinking of pursuing 'sale of goods act' to see if I can take it back to where I bought it from and get my money back - don't know how far I will get with this.

Offline funkymikeb

• S Class
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 10:46:23 am »
I've had my car back from the garage for a few months now and essentially I have a working car, though the key warning light on the dashboard is still on permanently and the Stop/Start button flashes red permanently (both obviously when the engine is running). When attempting to start the car, when depressing the clutch, the Start/Stop button and key light will sometimes go green but will usually be red. Either way, the car can be started normally and then both lights stay red. Sometimes the Start/Stop button needs to be pressed for a couple of seconds but I can always start the car.

In the end I changed both the Keyless Control and Steering Lock modules with second-hand ones from breakers. Additionally, I also had a clutch switch changed because allegedly the keyless control module remembers the clutch metrics from the original car. However, this hasn't resolved the light issues.

** So I could do with a decent auto-electrician, preferably in the Surrey area, that could diagnose and resolve the issue with the warning lights. Can anyone recommend one? **

I'm also thinking of selling the car and would get more and be easier to sell if the warning lights were not displaying.

Having said that, I'm quite happy to have turned a brick into a (fingers crossed) working car.

[On a separate issue, the cd/radio would sometimes cut out, along with random warning lights on the dashboard coming on. I therefore also had both door handle units replaced, at the same time as the above, with re-furbished units from a garage near Manchester. On early models the push button on the door handles for the keyless entry crack and let water in causing a short and the effect described above. Also, the car sometimes would not be able to be turned off. This has fixed the problem though I have had a single occurrence of the cd/radio cut out and dasboard lights, in the last few months]

Offline Ad

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 12:10:42 pm »
Hi

Mazda 6 Sport 2010:

Had the same problem, thought I'd post issue and resolution.

Car was fine one day, then the next would unlock with the keyless entry OK, but nothing happened on pushing the start button:

Key warning light is solid red (the one in the instrument cluster)
Push button start indicator light is solid red (the one actually on the push button start button)

Tried changing the remote batteries and jump starting (even though was getting 12.5V across the battery with the engine off); neither changed anything.

In the end Mazda had to come and collect car on a truck.

In their words:

CHECKED VEHICLE NOT STARTING DISCOVERED FAULT CODE 109.20 S
B1026 STEERING COLUMN,P1260 THEFT DETECTED VEHICLE
IMMOBILIZED, CARRIED OUT FUTHER DIAGNOSIS TO
ENSURE COMPONENT AT FAULT, DISCOVERED STEERING
COLUMN LOCK ASSEMBLY NOT WORKING TO CORRECT
PARAMETERS, REPLACED LOCK ASSEMBLY,REPROGRAMMED
AND TESTED ALL OK.

That was £700 approx...

Hope that helps someone else, and on the look out to see if this is a recurring theme with others.

Cheers
Ad

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 03:57:33 pm »
Having read other peoples problems with their cars not starting and feeling quite smug that I have had no issues with mine since I bought it from new, I now find that today I have the problem. Red light on button and on the dash and no engine starting, all as described above. Tried all the easy options, including a new car battery, but all to no avail.

Mine is a 2.0L petrol auto, so it requires the foot on the brake plus the button to start. What I did notice was that when I used to press the brake peddle, there was a bit of a clunk, which I think was the steering lock disengaging. I now don't get the clunking noise and the steering wheel is not locked.

I spoke to my local Mazda dealer who really did not seem to be interested in looking at it, so went to the dealer I bought the car from. They were far more helpful and have booked the car in for tomorrow with them, but I have to get it there. They gave me the number of a tow company that they use who are picking it up tomorrow. So we will see what they come up with. I'll keep you posted.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 12:26:01 pm »
Sorry to hear about this bazzamf. I used to have exactly the same model as you which I also bought new. As you will see in my earlier posts, I had this problem last year and the car was returned to the garage three times before it was finally sorted.
As yours is an auto, I assume you know that there is a small cover next to the gear selector that can be removed. There is a underneath this which can be pressed in (you will need a pen or screwdriver for this) which release the transmission lock allowing you to put the car in neutral for pushing or towing.
My advice to you would be to get the dealer to keep it for a few days after repair and keep trying it regularly during that time to see if it happens again.
As I have said before, there is an earth terminal under the front wing which corrodes. This causes the diagnostics to throw out random electrical problems, most of which are not actually at fault.
Good luck and I will continue to watch this thread

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 03:06:13 pm »
Thanks saddler5. Car was picked up this lunch time. I was able to put it in neutral with the method you suggested. My main concern was the steering lock. If it had engaged it would have been a big problem getting it picked up, as the steering was necessary to guide it up the ramps of the pick-up truck. Fortunately, the steering was not locked, which did surprise me, so was able to get it on without any problem. I now suspect the steering lock may be the issue.

With regard to the earth terminal, there is one located on the top of the suspension housing right next to the battery under the bonnet. My car is a facelifted model so wonder if the earth was relocated to this position because of previous issues, or whether there is still another under the front wing as you describe. I disconnected the earth lead, I could see, and lost all power, so assumed that that was it. If there is another one then it is clearly not doing the job. Surely it's unusual to have two earthing points though?

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 04:30:58 pm »
Mine was also the facelifted model (bought March 2010 and told by the dealer it was the first Sport Auto in the country, maybe true or maybe not). There is at least one more earth terminal than the one you mention.
Interestingly, the Steering Column Lock was mentioned to me by the dealer as a possible cause, but as they had already had two attempts to fix it at a cost of £500 and this was going to cost another £700, I told them I wanted a guarantee before I went ahead. I then found the details of the Earth problems on an overseas forum (I think it was Australian), told the dealer who then found a Mazda Technical Service Bulletin on the same issue.
There is an old thread about my car on this forum called "Non Starter Started - for now" which details the problems I had.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 05:14:49 pm »
The car was looked at by the garage today and guess what they came up with, a faulty steering lock, as I suspected. Replacement cost £680 plus the £60 for the diagnosis. They have to order the part so I hope it is received and fitted before Christmas. In between times, as this is our only car and the dealer has no available courtesy cars, I am faced with another bill for car hire. Now heading towards a four figure bill for this repair. OUCH!!!!